Felons might be allowed to have guns in Louisiana (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New Orleans judge rules statute forbidding felons from having firearms unconstitutional after 'fundamental right' amendment | NOLA.com

Now, of course, they'll eventually update the law and specify violent crimes, not all felonies. The article does a decent job explaining it all, but basically current LA law preventing felons from having firearms is now deemed unconstitutional, due to the amendment passed by voters that gun ownership is a fundamental right.

An Orleans Parish judge on Thursday ruled that the state statute forbidding certain felons from possessing firearms is unconstitutional, in the wake of a constitutional amendment passed last year that made the right to bear arms a fundamental one in Louisiana. The issue will now go straight to the state Supreme Court, which must decide whether the statute infringes on Louisiana citizens' now-enhanced right to gun possession.

I guess that's what happens when you pass laws that are not well thought out and reactionary and who's implications are not fully considered.

I understand gun ownership as a fundamental right, however, through one's own stupidity, an individual should have that right restricted to some degree, especially something like owning a firearm. If you really go by the Constitution, everyone should be able to have a rifle at home to defend should the militia be needed. However, everyone shouldn't be able to walk around outside of their home/property with a firearm due to their own flaws.

New Orleans judge rules statute forbidding felons from having firearms unconstitutional after 'fundamental right' amendment | NOLA.com

Now, of course, they'll eventually update the law and specify violent crimes, not all felonies. The article does a decent job explaining it all, but basically current LA law preventing felons from having firearms is now deemed unconstitutional, due to the amendment passed by voters that gun ownership is a fundamental right.

I think the Judge loses this one. Convicted felons already have other "fundamental rights" stripped from them. Rights given to them in the U.S. Constitution and Louisiana Constitution, yet nobody is arguing they should have the right to vote, or while on probation at least, that they have the right to protection against illegal search and seizure laws.

As to having to changed the law to affect only violent felonies, the law already only applies to certain felonies such as violent crimes and drug crimes. On most other felonies, if the person is not on probation or parole, then the law restricting possession of a firearm does not apply.

seriously guns are meant tokill deer and feed your family, if said person is a born hunter and raised to brign his family up hunting for dinner then why the heck not... crazxy. Of course an idiot doesn;t deserve to feed his family.

Now here's a case where gun registration should be required. Also a felon who commits any gun crime should face the needle. If the felon can live with those rules, let him have a gun. I feel the same way about a convicted dog fighter owning another dog. If he wants to do it, there has to be extreme consequences for screwing up a second time.

Thoughts on this snafu? I'm sure they'll just clean up the statues.

hope they start with these guys.

dirty-statue.jpg

I wish Guns, Crossbows, Bows didn't exist. Disputes should be settled by a sword, the most skillful would always triumph.

Under this system, a thug would at least have to be a skillful thug, otherwise the thug would be quickly dispatched. I mean who wouldn't want to watch an epic sword fight take place in the middle of a street over some dispute.

I think the Judge loses this one. Convicted felons already have other "fundamental rights" stripped from them. Rights given to them in the U.S. Constitution and Louisiana Constitution, yet nobody is arguing they should have the right to vote, or while on probation at least, that they have the right to protection against illegal search and seizure laws.

As to having to changed the law to affect only violent felonies, the law already only applies to certain felonies such as violent crimes and drug crimes. On most other felonies, if the person is not on probation or parole, then the law restricting possession of a firearm does not apply.
I don't know about that. My wifes cousin just got off of 6 months house arrest because he was hunting and a convicted felon. I know his fekon was not for a violent or gun related crime. He can vote, just not for President and that was only until he was off of probation. All the laws are screwed up when it comes to this felon thing. If you get a simple felony then you should be allowed to live like anyone else once you comleted your probation period. That is the main point of probation, to make sure you can stayt out of trouble and once you have proven as much then you should be allowed to live like everyone else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom