Field Goal attempt instead of going on 4th in 1 (1 Viewer)

kackit74

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't understand Payton's thinking on that. You risk giving up better field position by going for a 50+ field goal than going for it on 4 and 1. Plus the reward for going for was better than the field goal.

I get it, Payton trust the kicker and he has the leg to get it there. It just didn't happen on that attempt.

Under that logic, you should never attempt a long field goal in a short yard situation unless it's at the end of a game.

Lutz has a big leg. Payton will use it. Besides, it's not like our short run game is on a great level to guarantee converting. And a pass can just be dropped.

We made an alright choice. Didn't pan out.

I have to rewatch that series, but I think once we couldn't get them off sides, they must have not liked the playcall or how we were playing at that point. We were stalling, probably not the best time to trust your offense.

But we do that a lot. Try to get them offsides, and often get the penalty in our favor, then continue. If that doesn't work, TO, kick it.

The Panther's run defense is their strong suit and they weren't missing any starters on their front 7.

The Saints power run offense is their weak suit and they have a reshuffled Oline.

It was going to be either a "sneaky" play like the Fleener sweep (they would have been ready for a play like that this time around), or a pass play. So, basically, it would have been a pass play.

The Saints have deep speed in Cooks, deep seam routes with Fleener (welcome to the game, big fella!), and jump ball ability with Thomas. Add Lutz's leg to that and every play across the 50 yard line (in the Dome, at least) is a scoring opportunity.

Payton is going to use it as such.

Also, this year has always been a learning year for this new young version of the Saints. Why not extend that same opportunity to the kicker? We are going to need him to make long kicks for a long time. May as well get his feet wet now when the season is mostly "shot."

I don't understand Payton's thinking on that. You risk giving up better field position by going for a 50+ field goal than going for it on 4 and 1. Plus the reward for going for was better than the field goal.

I think up 21-0, Payton thought it was going to be as low-pressure a situation to give Lutz a 50+ yd try. Little did he know that Lutz was going to be needed to win it with a 50+ yd FG in essentially the most pressure packed situation there is.

Payton played it safe. He trusts Lutz and that's a really good thing. That kid is going to win us some more games this season.

It was a toss up. Lutz was brought in because he has the leg to attempt long kicks. I didn't have a problem with the decision. The kid just didn't hit his kick. It was a very important miss, however. Carolina turned that field position into a field goal so it was a 6 point swing.

Edit: We had a lot of short yardage situations against the Panthers, but we didn't utilize Kuhn as a ball carrier in those situations. Understandably, we didn't like the matchup of our interior O-line against their interior D-line.

I get it, Payton trust the kicker and he has the leg to get it there. It just didn't happen on that attempt.

Not that I don't trust Lutz, I just thought it would be easier to get 1 yard than to kick a 50+ field goal.

I didn't like the call because the Panthers were reeling. I understand why he didn't go for it... just didn't like it. Going for it on 4th and 1 and converting, I guarantee the Panthers quit, the score goes to 28-0 and they never come remotely close to mounting a comeback. And honestly, with the sheer volume of weapons on offense, you have to like the Saints chances in any 4th and 1 situation.

This is the one play that I didn't agree with yesterday. Sure you have to trust the kicker and it definitely gave them practice for the game winner later, but this was the opportunity to put the game away.

We started the game by converting a 4th down and it set the tone for us to dominate much of the 1st half.

I think if we convert that 4th down and keep the pedal down, we easily blow them out. Instead we tried for the field goal, missed and it was pretty much complete meltdown after that.

You can't let them have momentum swings like that. You have to stay aggressive.

Payton thinks our chances of making a 50+ yard FG are better than gaining a yard on the ground, which says a lot about how weak our run game is. There was a 3rd option, though. Let Moresfead pin them deep. We gave up field position all day, which cost us dearly.

It was 4th and a long 1 and with a thin Oline, Sean prolly didn't have the confidence that the guys up front would get a push .... once Armstead is back at LT and Peat goes back to LG, I think Sean will take tough decisions at that point ....

This is the one play that I didn't agree with yesterday. Sure you have to trust the kicker and it definitely gave them practice for the game winner later, but this was the opportunity to put the game away.

We started the game by converting a 4th down and it set the tone for us to dominate much of the 1st half.

I think if we convert that 4th down and keep the pedal down, we easily blow them out. Instead we tried for the field goal, missed and it was pretty much complete meltdown after that.

You can't let them have momentum swings like that. You have to stay aggressive.

That 4th down on the opening possession was on the goal line ... even if we didn't convert on that, still the ball would have been on the 2 yd line .... taking a risk there is justified at the 2 yd line than at the 35 yd line ..

I wish we'd try to call them offsides, then when the defense loosens up thinking nothing will happen, we snap it at the last second and get an easy 1st

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom