Field of Dreams (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just saw this movie for the first time a couple years ago.

I liked it

If I had seen it when it came out or was a baseball fan I probably would have liked it more, but I enjoyed the movie

This guy just seems like a hater
=============================================================================

“If you build it, he will come.”

Puh-lease.

Thirty years after the release of “Field of Dreams,” it’s time for a major reassessment.

Sorry, all you folks who view baseball — and this movie — as some sort of timeless metaphor for connecting to your past and understanding what America is really all about.

In reality, it’s just another terrible film.

If you can somehow get past all the factual errors and horrible casting — Ray “Goodfellas” Liotta as Shoeless Joe Jackson? — you realize this is nothing more than an epic helping of corniness, passed off as some of ethereal fantasy that gets to the deeper meaning of life, which apparently is nothing more than the chance to play one more game of catch with your athletically challenged dad.

Like so many people, I remember gushing over “Field of Dreams” after it was released on April 21, 1989, but that was also a time when I still clung to the schmaltzy belief — pushed by folks such as George Will and Bob Costas — that baseball was more than a sport. It was the national pastime, a slow-moving game that somehow managed to epitomize all that is great about our country on a patch of grass and dirt marked by 90-foot paths.......................

I've seen it a million times. I recite the dialog along with it. I cry every.single.time.

I just saw this movie for the first time a couple years ago.

I liked it

If I had seen it when it came out or was a baseball fan I probably would have liked it more, but I enjoyed the movie

This guy just seems like a hater
=============================================================================

“If you build it, he will come.”

Puh-lease.

Thirty years after the release of “Field of Dreams,” it’s time for a major reassessment.

Sorry, all you folks who view baseball — and this movie — as some sort of timeless metaphor for connecting to your past and understanding what America is really all about.

In reality, it’s just another terrible film.

If you can somehow get past all the factual errors and horrible casting — Ray “Goodfellas” Liotta as Shoeless Joe Jackson? — you realize this is nothing more than an epic helping of corniness, passed off as some of ethereal fantasy that gets to the deeper meaning of life, which apparently is nothing more than the chance to play one more game of catch with your athletically challenged dad.

Like so many people, I remember gushing over “Field of Dreams” after it was released on April 21, 1989, but that was also a time when I still clung to the schmaltzy belief — pushed by folks such as George Will and Bob Costas — that baseball was more than a sport. It was the national pastime, a slow-moving game that somehow managed to epitomize all that is great about our country on a patch of grass and dirt marked by 90-foot paths.......................

Ah, the old ‘I’ve changed a lot in the last 30 years, but that’s everyone else’s fault’
I look forward to his essay once he actually reads Led Zeppelin’s lyrics

The author gets so much wrong in the movie and then completely misses the point of the film. The father and son game of catch still gets me all these years and dozens of viewings later.

Maybe he can explain why Dances with Wolves was better than Goodfellas and Ordinary People was superior to Raging Bull.

It doesn't matter how many times I have seen it, the father/son catch scene gets me every time as well. I can pick up watching it from there and still become a blubbery mess.

Also, watched it again the other day and I got teary-eyed during the base ball speech from James Earl Jones and the scene with Moonlight Graham leaving after saving the daughter.

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game; it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh…people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come." Chills.

"Hey, rookie. You were good."

I didnt click on the article in the OP, but i remember seeing FOD in the theater, i believe the year was 1989.. i also remember being conflicted; i guess the best way to put it was that my heart liked it, but my head thought it was hokey.. i didnt like the ‘supernatural’ (for lack of a better word) , or maybe ‘metaphysical’ aspects of it.. i guess i just wanted a little more concrete reason for building a baseball field int he middle of a cornfield.. maybe that was sorta the point of the movie, that Costner’s character didnt need other people’s approval.. in any case, i dont think I’ve ever watched it all the way through since then.

NEW YORK (AP) — Baseball and tears, the ones streaking down cheeks.

Tears, the kind leaving rifts between fathers and sons.

“Field of Dreams” is about phantoms and phenoms on an unlikely diamond in an Iowa cornfield.

Emotions gush like water across the fresh-cut grass, resonating three decades later because of the nerves the movie digs down to reach.

“I remember, I think it was the very first test screening we had, it was in the LA area and it was a recruited audience and they didn’t know anything about the movie,” director Phil Alden Robinson recalled this week.

“And towards the end, I was sitting in the back, and I noticed a woman about two, maybe three rows in front of me on the aisle, just weeping.........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom