Fifth-Year Option on Marcus Davenport (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints have to make a decision sometime in the next few months (I don't know the deadline) on whether to exercise the fifth year option on Davenport. I read an article by Gil Brandt in which he thought the Saints should not exercise the option and suggested that, if Davenport had a great season in 2021, the team could use the franchise tag to negotiate a long-term contract. I happen to agree with Brandt, though I suspect the Saints will exercise the option. I have not seen other threads raising this issue, so I thought I would raise the issue for debate.

Right now is a bad time to ask that question. I am so disappointed in Davenport that I would be tempted to set all reason aside and let him walk. But that would be my emotions talking. Realistically, exercising the option is probably the right thing. He really did impact the game when he was on. The problem is that he was not always on, and was not always healthy.

But since we will likely move away from Jordan in the next year or two then we would need another DE.

The TRex deal plays a role but we won’t miss much if he is gone all about money

Whats his option worth? 15 to 16 million a season... And we might have difficulty resigning T-Rex who has eclipsed him by a long way. The draft brain trust busted that pick.

he cost 2 1sts - so for him it's a 10th year option

Kramer-Thats-True.gif

I've been messing with the 2021 and 2022 cap numbers. They are going to be tough years. My assumption is that we can't hang on to Hendrickson. In this situation, I actually think the best thing to do is sign him now to a deal. I think he still has a butt-ton of potential he has only begun to tap. This might be the best value you would ever get for him.

I am lost. Everything I see about the contract suggests 2021 is the fourth year and it doesn't give any info past 2021

Yeah he just finished the 3rd year of his rookie deal.

"In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year"

Yeah he just finished the 3rd year of his rookie deal.

"In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year"

ok, here is the article RJ mentioned in the OP

for me (and undoubtedly Loomis) this is a math question so how can you make an article declaring yes/no without stating what the new numbers would be. And I get that the numbers aren't set but you could still talk about what it is based on, ie. what percentage etc.

I don’t think at this point he is worth that level of money or commitment. He absolutely has huge potential, but it’s unrealized, and Hendrickson has taken over that role. So, if possible, and I doubt it is, we keep Hendrickson and let Davenport prove himself in a last year. If not it sets a value as a failed first round pick, instead of top 10 payday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom