Fifth-Year Option on Marcus Davenport (1 Viewer)

I get a feeling they will exercise his option just because we made a big investment in him. I was realy disappointed on bow our D-line played against Tampa because I thought they could bring pressure if everyone was healthy.

I get a feeling they will exercise his option just because we made a big investment in him. I was realy disappointed on bow our D-line played against Tampa because I thought they could bring pressure if everyone was healthy.

Tampa played a max protect scheme. Any time they didn't have seven blockers in, they'd have three people throw chips before going out on routes. Dennis Allen insisted on continuing to only rush 4. The worst part is that the rare times when Allen brought the blitz, Tampa in max protect couldn't keep a clean pocket. But instead of continuing to bring 5+, Allen would go right back to rushing 3 and 4.

Just blows my mind that it seemed like Allen never thought about the fact Tampa might, you know, actually try to protect their QB after the sackpocalypse that was the previous two meetings.

Tampa played a max protect scheme. Any time they didn't have seven blockers in, they'd have three people throw chips before going out on routes. Dennis Allen insisted on continuing to only rush 4. The worst part is that the rare times when Allen brought the blitz, Tampa in max protect couldn't keep a clean pocket. But instead of continuing to bring 5+, Allen would go right back to rushing 3 and 4.

Just blows my mind that it seemed like Allen never thought about the fact Tampa might, you know, actually try to protect their QB after the sackpocalypse that was the previous two meetings.
The story was that they got their protection together after losing to us. I agree that we didn't seem to adjust well but I had the impression that someone could beat a double based on skill level.

Davenport has 12 sacks in three seasons (less than Hendrickson's sack total from just this year). Injured or not, that's really disappointing for what we invested in him. Too early for the "B" word? Probably, but he's knocking on that door.

the way I see it is you just don't create holes without a replacement plan. I think either we pick it up or we let it play out and begin negotiations anew, AND we draft a DE high. You will likely be replacing Cam in short order too so lets draft one to replace one of them and go from there.

The story was that they got their protection together after losing to us. I agree that we didn't seem to adjust well but I had the impression that someone could beat a double based on skill level.

The only recent players in the NFL I've seen who regularly beat double teams have been JJ Watt in his prime and currently Aaron Donald. You'll see other guys who can beat a double team here and there, but never with any consistency, and certainly not enough to impact the outcome of a game.

Add in the fact the bucs exploited the Saints inability to cover Tight Ends and the defensive line had to not only beat double teams, but also an offensive gameplan built on quick throws to exploit the Saints LBs and Safeties against Brate. The bucs offense wisely came with a completely different gameplan from the previous two meetings. The craziest thing was even without consistent pressure on brady, the Saints dropped three interceptions and brady was extremely pedestrian.

I try really hard to defend MD. Actually, I don’t even defend him. I just choose not to mention his name bc I’m not impressed with him. He flashes at times, but consistency is just not there for me. A guy with that size and ability, should be dominating . For me, paying him in excess of $10 million a year, would be overpaying.

I am lost. Everything I see about the contract suggests 2021 is the fourth year and it doesn't give any info past 2021
That's because the option hasn't been exercised yet, I believe Loomis has until early May to take the option.

Davenport has 12 sacks in three seasons (less than Hendrickson's sack total from just this year). Injured or not, that's really disappointing for what we invested in him. Too early for the "B" word? Probably, but he's knocking on that door.

The bottom line is that teams tend to way overpay high round draft picks if they show even a modicum of potential. The guy has either been hurt or been invisible way too much. He does make the occasional good play but overall a net negative imo.

If Davenport balls and is healthy you have to extend him ! He played through injury and if he finally gets it together health wise goes to another time and beomes a 15+ sack a year guy. No thank you I’m not letting him walk you spent 2 first for a reason

The cost of the 5th year option is too much for a player who is always injured. He probably won’t even command that much on a per year basis. We can’t continue and wait for Davenport to become the dominant player he can be. He needs to get it done consistently and then we can talk about a longterm deal. If he stays the same as now sign him on the cheap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom