Filing: OxyContin maker forecast 'blizzard of prescriptions' (1 Viewer)

Speaking from experience, if you have an addict in your life, never cut someone's supply right away. If you haven't been an addict then you might think that just removing the addictive substance with force will help. You might end up killing them if you do so. The right thing to do is to help them slow down and eventually stop, you can be there to monitor a slow reduction of use, that's the most helpful thing for an addict.

Most addicts really do want to stop, but if you remove their addictive substance completely and suddenly, you put their life in danger, and they could have major medical complications, seize, or even die. Removing the abused substance completely and immediately can be very dangerous. Some addicts die because they become deprived of something their body has relied upon. A seriously abused substance must be reduced before it can be completely stopped -- that or proper medication must be administered.

The problem of addiction is something that's really hit home for me, and I just want folks to be educated regarding how to deal with an addicted loved one. Not everyone can afford rehabilitation programs and just plain stopping cold turkey is often dangerous, which is hard to understand for those who aren't addicted.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Purdue Pharma, the company that makes OxyContin, the powerful prescription painkiller that experts say helped touch off an opioidepidemic, will plead guilty to three federal criminal charges as part of a settlement of more than $8 billion, Justice Department officials told The Associated Press.

The company will plead guilty to three counts, including conspiracy to defraud the United States and violating federal anti-kickback laws, the officials said. The resolution will be detailed in a bankruptcy court filing in federal court.

The deal does not release any of the company’s executives or owners — members of the wealthy Sackler family — from criminal liability. A criminal investigation is ongoing.........

IIRC, The Sackler family hid billions of their fortunes in overseas accounts so they couldn't be touched by the civil penalties. They made sure that they would come out of all this still billionaires no matter what.

I know there is a separate thread about this documentary, but it's worth bringing up again. It is really informative and happens to be local:

Last edited:
Speaking from experience, if you have an addict in your life, never cut someone's supply right away. If you haven't been an addict then you might think that just removing the addictive substance with force will help. You might end up killing them if you do so. The right thing to do is to help them slow down and eventually stop, you can be there to monitor a slow reduction of use, that's the most helpful thing for an addict.

Most addicts really do want to stop, but if you remove their addictive substance completely and suddenly, you put their life in danger, and they could have major medical complications, seize, or even die. Removing the abused substance completely and immediately can be very dangerous. Some addicts die because they become deprived of something their body has relied upon. A seriously abused substance must be reduced before it can be completely stopped -- that or proper medication must be administered.

The problem of addiction is something that's really hit home for me, and I just want folks to be educated regarding how to deal with an addicted loved one. Not everyone can afford rehabilitation programs and just plain stopping cold turkey is often dangerous, which is hard to understand for those who aren't addicted.
While I am in agreement, opiate withdrawal won't kill you. But Methadone can if consumed at a high enough dose for a long period before detox. Alcohol and Benzo withdrawal can kill you for sure. Just wanted to add a little more depth to your post as this thread is about opiates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom