Film review: Breaking down the Saints' big day against the Panthers -- Underhill (1 Viewer)

There's no denying that we are still surrendering a ton of yards and points, but I'm in total agreement with Nick U on this:

I feel there's hope for this defense, where as before it was only :covri:. Admittedly, my expectations are tempered this season, and that helps, but I think this defense has a bright future and will come around.

More than anything, I'm stunned at how far the Panthers' defense has dropped. Of course any defense will suffer with a depleted secondary (sound familiar?), but they're still strong at the line and linebacker, but they are struggling as much or more than us.

Well the Broncos defense hasn't allowed 33 points in a game in over 30 games including the playoffs. Bad defense isn't an accident. Sure, there may be the occasional game where the ball bounces the wrong way, you get a few bad calls and the defense doesn't play very well but we do it every single week.

What Nick is saying is no different than me saying my car gets 12mpg but it sure feels like it's fuel efficient.

Sure, Breaux is a great player and him coming back will open things up for our defense but it's not like we didn't have him all of last season. Rankins coming back is an unknown, he wasn't overly productive in the preseason and now he's going to be going against better players who are in mid season form while he is trying to come back from an injury as a rookie.

So while I appreciate Nick's input, I also know the Saints defense doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, they'll have to prove it before they get any recognition of being better than last season, right now the stats say they are worse.

Well the Broncos defense hasn't allowed 33 points in a game in over 30 games including the playoffs. Bad defense isn't an accident. Sure, there may be the occasional game where the ball bounces the wrong way, you get a few bad calls and the defense doesn't play very well but we do it every single week.

What Nick is saying is no different than me saying my car gets 12mpg but it sure feels like it's fuel efficient.

Sure, Breaux is a great player and him coming back will open things up for our defense but it's not like we didn't have him all of last season. Rankins coming back is an unknown, he wasn't overly productive in the preseason and now he's going to be going against better players who are in mid season form while he is trying to come back from an injury as a rookie.

So while I appreciate Nick's input, I also know the Saints defense doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, they'll have to prove it before they get any recognition of being better than last season, right now the stats say they are worse.

Using Denver as the comparison, thats a bit extreme. Especially when you consider that Denver hasn't had the horrible rash of injuries to their defense as the Saints have had the past couple seasons. Not saying the Saints defense would be top5 but don't put them up against a Super Bowl winning defense that boasts arguably the best defender in football. Cmon man!

This Defense is bad, but can we add some context? That total includes a pick 6 from the offense, a fg block return for a td, a special teams disaster where our gunner ran into our returner and several bad PI calls that put opposing teams on the goalline (Oak, KV against Greg Olson, both which were on 4th down!)

The return of Rankins will stop teams running up the middle at will against us, the return of Breaux will allow us to blitz and cover the opposing teams #1 WR and double their second best WR. The return of Ellerbe (cross fingers) will eliminate the easy gains QB's make when dumping to RB out the backfield and allow us to better free KV from covering TE to make havoc. I am really excited about our D in the second half of the season!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom