Film Review: Giants-Saints (1 Viewer)

new city champ

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know it's late but I finally got around to watching game film on Saints-Giants game. Watched both the broadcast version and the condensed version, along with some coach's film view. It was interesting and definitely seemed like a better played game on replay than it seemed live. Both defenses really rallied to the ball and tackled well and it was a hard-hitting affair.

1. Von Bell really stood out. He was around the ball a ton, tackled great and covered a lot of ground in a hurry. Very impressed for his first real game action. He and Vaccaro look like a great pairing in the three safety sets. Craig Robertson also looked great.

2. Drew had open receivers. Watching the game it seemed like Brees was constantly scanning downfield and no one was open. Looking at the all-22 coaches film though, he did have some guys open, he just didn't let the ball go . It looked like Spags had him confused and doubting what he was seeing. He got better later in the game.

3. Ingram runs hard, but it still looks to me like he misses his cuts too often Someone posted up some old video of Coach Mora saying he didn't think Ingram was anything special and I have to agree he still doesn't. He looks like a hard-nosed, serviceable runner, but not a playmaker.

4. Crawley ALMOST had that ball out of there on that last catch by Cruz. He actually had his hand hooked in between Cruz's and on the ball. As they go down Cruz has it by the nose and looks like he's going to drop it, but hauls it in. Great catch and not bad defense.

5. They were abusing our FG protection all game long. That needs to get cleaned up.

6. We were in a good position to win that game--driving deep into their territory with under 3 minutes to go. would have been nice to be able to run the ball in that position.

7.Several instances of play clock winding down on routine offensive plays. Shades of last year. Wonder if Payton was back to calling plays.

Personally I think Payton needs to call every play. I will never understand the mentality on here that he should give up play calling duties. It was at its worst in 2008.

I hate hearing that Drew had WRs open consistently. I had convinced myself that the Giants had just shut down cooks and snead for the most part and drew had nowhere to go and wisely held it or threw it away instead of forcing it. Sighhhh....He hasn't thrown a pick in like 6-7 games at least

I hate hearing that Drew had WRs open consistently. I had convinced myself that the Giants had just shut down cooks and snead for the most part and drew had nowhere to go and wisely held it or threw it away instead of forcing it. Sighhhh....He hasn't thrown a pick in like 6-7 games at least
We have a very poor view of Spagnuolo's defense from his time here, but it can be a quality system when he has the right personnel to run it. It has given Drew trouble the times that he faced it. It was a big reason why the Saints had struggles against the Rams so consistently.

I didn't mean to imply guys were running free downfield all game long. But on 5 or 6 attempts if you stopped the film, he had guys open and they didn't get the ball. Either Drew was looking elsewhere or he was looking on their side of the field but didn't want to make the throw for some reason. In general it seemed (fan view only) that Drew had pre-determined more than usual where the ball was going to go. Maybe it was pre-snap reads or the game plan to try certain things (like work the TE), but he just didn't seem to be in the flow of the game, particularly in the first half. Things loosened up in the second half.

Something I left out was how good a couple of Giants looked. Landon Collins the safety was outstanding all day. He plays like a stud. And I came away impressed with Eli. I guess like a lot of people I'm still used to thinking of him as the second best Manning QB (or third if you count Archie). But he was super-accurate with the ball, took what the defense gave him and has a nice arm. Considering he's won two Super Bowl's that shouldn't be surprising, but just looking the game over on film really brought out what a good player he is.

I didn't mean to imply guys were running free downfield all game long. But on 5 or 6 attempts if you stopped the film, he had guys open and they didn't get the ball. Either Drew was looking elsewhere or he was looking on their side of the field but didn't want to make the throw for some reason. In general it seemed (fan view only) that Drew had pre-determined more than usual where the ball was going to go. Maybe it was pre-snap reads or the game plan to try certain things (like work the TE), but he just didn't seem to be in the flow of the game, particularly in the first half. Things loosened up in the second half.

Something I left out was how good a couple of Giants looked. Landon Collins the safety was outstanding all day. He plays like a stud. And I came away impressed with Eli. I guess like a lot of people I'm still used to thinking of him as the second best Manning QB (or third if you count Archie). But he was super-accurate with the ball, took what the defense gave him and has a nice arm. Considering he's won two Super Bowl's that shouldn't be surprising, but just looking the game over on film really brought out what a good player he is.

There's a few predetermined plays you see with Drew where he misses an open man due to looking down field or elsewhere. The most glaring was the Week 1 Raiders where his eyes were locked on the Corner Endzone(right side) and he had Ingram opened for a sure TD(left Flat).

It happens.

I agree some of his hesitation was likely due to the coverage/blitz package deployed by spags. Those Corner/Safety blitzes he brought were very effective.

Good Post

There's a few predetermined plays you see with Drew where he misses an open man due to looking down field or elsewhere. The most glaring was the Week 1 Raiders where his eyes were locked on the Corner Endzone(right side) and he had Ingram opened for a sure TD(left Flat).

It happens.

I agree some of his hesitation was likely due to the coverage/blitz package deployed by spags. Those Corner/Safety blitzes he brought were very effective.

Good Post

its that pre-snap look- Drew likes that to get a good idea of where to go. its why he can get confused early...but by 3rd he has figured them out.

Thats the fun chess match between DC and OC/QB. I like those games.

its that pre-snap look- Drew likes that to get a good idea of where to go. its why he can get confused early...but by 3rd he has figured them out.

Thats the fun chess match between DC and OC/QB. I like those games.

The great thing thats been consistent through all the Film Study post is how Bell stood out.

When you look at his final season vs the previous he looked like two different players. Definitely played like a 1st rounder early but looked tentative last year.

You can never tell how those guys will pan out but this mirrors his 7tkl preseason game as well. Can't wait to see if we'll use more 2 high shells. Gives Byrd a chance to be aggressive too!

Totally agree about Ingram. He's a pretty good back, but does nothing great. He's not going to make plays that turn a game around. Not having seen any of the coaches' film, I had to conclude while watching the game that our receivers weren't getting separation. Sometimes, Drew was pressured and that messed up his timing and decision making, but there were definitely several plays where he held on to the ball with seemingly nowhere to go. I'm sure he missed some opportunities--he's not Superman, after all. But the Giants obviously played good defense. I'm hoping as Thomas gets more experience he can become a go-to receiver for Drew in these situations.

Totally agree about Ingram. He's a pretty good back, but does nothing great. He's not going to make plays that turn a game around. Not having seen any of the coaches' film, I had to conclude while watching the game that our receivers weren't getting separation. Sometimes, Drew was pressured and that messed up his timing and decision making, but there were definitely several plays where he held on to the ball with seemingly nowhere to go.

I just read an Underhill article I think that suggest the reason for our 3rd down struggles have been tight man to man coverage.

They will attempt to use scheme to assist with getting guys free and that SP and company looked at all of the 3rd down snaps.

Quote is off but yeah..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom