Film Study: Can Jameis Winston keep the New Orleans Saints afloat while Drew Brees is out? (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of us follow Jackson Krueger's film studies, and this one is interesting because he happens to be a Bucs fan and knows Winston quite well. In this film study, he shares his thoughts on Jameis, assuming that he takes over QB duties in Brees' absence with the Saints.

Direct Link

That's excellent. But I started out feeling good and then started feeling like, yep, he's gonna whiff a lot. lol Who knows. If he's learned to be more careful and go ahead and check down, maybe it'll be alright.

After watching that I feel better about Winston. He doesn’t have to win the game as he had to in Tampa. As we have seen with Brady on the play where he checked down to Kamala, in the Tampa offense the theory is to go big yardage so he would’ve been pressured to make that long pass into coverage.
I’m also of the opinion that most badly wife’s passes that are intercepted are on the WR rather than QB. New Orleans WRs have to run perfect routes and timing because that’s how Brees does things. It’s why he has such perfect accuracy. He throws to a point and the War had better be there, or that WR isn’t going to see much playing time. Winston is now in an offense where as time goes on he knows and trusts to throw to a spot and let the WR get there.

One read, not there=throw it to Kamara. Run heavy offense with a few select deep shots. Key is don’t hold it too long. I think we will see Winston start but more Hill at QB.
Nope. This will be on Winston. He has enormous talent. Was his decision making bad because of Tampa or is it on him. Next few games will make or break him. Screw this up and it’s would you like fries with that. Nail it and do what bridgewater did and it’s next starting QB for the Saints for the next ten years.

Nope. This will be on Winston. He has enormous talent. Was his decision making bad because of Tampa or is it on him. Next few games will make or break him. Screw this up and it’s would you like fries with that. Nail it and do what bridgewater did and it’s next starting QB for the Saints for the next ten years.
Not questioning his physical talent. On Sunday, he struggled with his reads and progressions and took two sacks in the red zone. To prevent turnovers, I think the coaching staff will give him one or two reads and tell him to check down.

Not questioning his physical talent. On Sunday, he struggled with his reads and progressions and took two sacks in the red zone. To prevent turnovers, I think the coaching staff will give him one or two reads and tell him to check down.
But how many snaps has he taken with the offense? I mean limited preseason, thrown in with maybe 15% of the snaps in practice. I mean give him a chance. If not, well hopefully Hill knows how to run the offense as Winston serves fries.

Because QB coming in for spot duty that hasn't played real football all year is supposed to light the world on fire in a precise timing offense that needs lots of game reps. Like Brees being hot garbage for about 4 weeks. Much less a QB coming from a dumpster fire offense in Tampa to one of the most complex offense in the league.

Someof y'all have made your mind up on Winston after having a transformative year mind and body. Do what you're supposed to do... Root for your Saints to succeed. Quit trying to doubt and be a pessimistic.

I mean...honestly? That’s pretty much what we do anyway.

As Drew always says: “completions are good.” If Jameis’ first read or two isn’t there, take the 4-yard gain. No one ever lost a game taking 4-yard gains.

Good thing for us is we'll have a much better idea about our QB future after this is all over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom