Video Film Study: Has Drew Brees lost a step? New Orleans Saints Breakdown (1 Viewer)

I think it's hard to compare Drew to the young stars of the game. We don't have 2009 Drew anymore. Thats just a fact. What Drew is capable at his age is only possible with the experience and skill he's had his whole career. He's not using athletic ability, although he is keeping himself as capable as possible, to win games. He knows the game so well that he can systematically carve up a defense without throwing the ball more than 20 yards. He's not a deep ball threat. Can he make those throws when the opportunity presents itself? I'd put my money on it. but all game? no. He's twice the age as some rookies.

Drew is susceptible to a certain defense. Because of the >20 yd offense, he's not taking 7 steps drops and settling into a deep pocket. He's taking 3-5 because the routes and timing are so precise. On a 7 step drop, outside pressure is typically the best approach. With short drops, your best bet is pressure up the middle. The Vikings were talented enough to compete early with the WRs and get pressure up the middle. They had the best gameplan to beat the Saints.

Now look at how our off-season went. We drafted interior help and added more dynamic speed at WR. Most defenses play to their strengths. The trend today is powerful edge rushers. The Saints negate any advantage of edge rushers with Drew's quick releases and great talent at the tackle and TE positions. That hasn't been an issue. Look how we were able to slice up SF. They play wide and pressure on the edge.

We had a 2 meter wide opening to the thermal exhaust port and Minnesota found it.

Wonder if they will use Jameis in situations as a bomb launcher. He lines up as a rb and if Drew sees someone uncovered, pitches back to Jameis and boom. Coaches would have to develop trust in Jameis to know when to not launch.

I heard a PFF stat recently that Drew was 1st in the league last year on 1st read throws...and 4th on 2+ read throws. Top 5 is getting it done. And at a huge bargain basically playing for 25mil/yr. Hopefully he wants to come back for a third superbowl in 2021.

I can't make it beyond 3:28 into it because he says he was NEVER an accurate deep ball thrower which is horseshirt. I think I'll still finish the video but come on man!

He hasn't lost a step but is only very good? That doesn't make sense. If he's no longer a top 2 QB in this league then he's lost a step.

I heard a PFF stat recently that Drew was 1st in the league last year on 1st read throws...and 4th on 2+ read throws. Top 5 is getting it done. And at a huge bargain basically playing for 25mil/yr. Hopefully he wants to come back for a third superbowl in 2021.

He'd probably be higher on the 2+ read throws if the Saints Wide Receivers not named Michael Thomas actually contributed last season. The lack of production the last two seasons from the other receivers is appalling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom