Final Fantasy VII: The Remake (1 Viewer)

Like I said before, VI and VII are tied as my favorites. VII probably gets the most hype as it was the first 3D version and was an early title of the original PlayStation, and was many people's first experience with the series. It was also substantially different from all the games that had come before it, which had been traditional medieval-esque fantasy settings with some magical technology elements. VI deviated a bit from that and had a good bit of steampunk influence to its world, but VII was just a whole new ball game in terms of world building. By far my favorite setting in any Final Fantasy game. Magic is obviously a thing, but instead of evil Empires you've got an evil energy conglomerate that is destroying the planet and society. Instead of evil wizards you've got mad scientists performing genetic experiments. Instead of knights and archers you've got genetically enhanced super soldiers and guys with machine guns mounted to their arms. It takes all those fantasy tropes and overlays them into a world of more advanced technology/magic that has this kind of burned out dieselpunk aesthetic going on.

If I had to personally rank my favorites:

VI/VII (tied)
IV (laid the groundwork for Final Fantasy growing into a much more story and character driven series, after the first three games had fairly generic "Heroes unite to save the world from evil" plots.)
VIII (did not love it originally, but I've grown to like it more with time. The draw system is still my least favorite magic system in the series, though.)
IX (a very real throwback to the original NES and SNES FF games. Kind of a nostalgia trip that may not be for everyone. It has a lot of detractors.).

Nothing after IX? X was great.

Nothing after IX? X was great.

X was alright, but to me marked a downturn the series is still trying to climb out of. I'm not a huge fan of the Spira setting or design. A of the characters (Tidus and Wakka) annoy me, but there are some great ones too (Auron, Kimari). I do appreciate it as the last truly turn based game in the series. So it's kind of a mixed bag for me.

XI and XIV are both MMOs, so I dont really count them. XII I absolutely hated when it was released, but I am less harsh on it in the aftermath of XIII and XV, which I do not enjoy on any level whatsoever. XIII is probably the worst game in the series from every standpoint (setting, characters, gameplay, etc. are all atrocious). XV doesnt feel like a Final Fantasy game so much as reskinned Kingdom Hearts with bland characters, a less than fantastic setting and an unengaging story.

It looks so, so good. My co favorite (tied with VI) Final Fantasy game and one of my all time favorite games period, and having all of this realized with this degree of detail and quality is astounding. Day one buy.
FFX is my favorite, but VII is a really close second. Will definitely purchase this when it comes out.

X was alright, but to me marked a downturn the series is still trying to climb out of. I'm not a huge fan of the Spira setting or design. A of the characters (Tidus and Wakka) annoy me, but there are some great ones too (Auron, Kimari). I do appreciate it as the last truly turn based game in the series. So it's kind of a mixed bag for me.

XI and XIV are both MMOs, so I dont really count them. XII I absolutely hated when it was released, but I am less harsh on it in the aftermath of XIII and XV, which I do not enjoy on any level whatsoever. XIII is probably the worst game in the series from every standpoint (setting, characters, gameplay, etc. are all atrocious). XV doesnt feel like a Final Fantasy game so much as reskinned Kingdom Hearts with bland characters, a less than fantastic setting and an unengaging story.
Don't for get LuLu. My first gothic crush.

I pre-ordered VII at Toys-R-Us and got a T-Shirt and some PS1 stickers and stuff. I played the hell out of that game and actually beat the Emerald Weapon without the water materia. It did take me awhile to beat the Ruby Weapon, but there was a lot to do with KoTRT, Mine and Phoenix to make that even possible.

I don't have a PS4, I've actually held out and waited on this game so I will buy a PS4 now.

I dedicated so many hours of my teenage years to this game. I think my friends and I played through several times. I’m so here for this.

Finally out. Started playing today (digital download is over 80GB). The graphics are downright wicked.

I haven't yet. I probably won't for a while.

It's not going to sell out.

FYI, the physical sold out (other than 1st Class Edition) on Amazon and Square's website. Digital is the only way to go for now.

FYI, the physical sold out (other than 1st Class Edition) on Amazon and Square's website. Digital is the only way to go for now.
Or you could do like me and painfully wait because I don't want to spend the money on it in the midst of the coronapocalypse. Although there's a good chance I'll end up breaking down and buying it anyway. Who the fork needs to eat, right? ;)

Or you could do like me and painfully wait because I don't want to spend the money on it in the midst of the coronapocalypse. Although there's a good chance I'll end up breaking down and buying it anyway. Who the fork needs to eat, right? ;)

I actually pre-ordered so it didn't effect me. I get what you're saying though. At least I got something to do during the quarantine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom