Finally cancelled my Cox TV service (2 Viewers)

We're finally moving into our new house in a couple of weeks (after 5 months of renovations) and I had Directv installed yesterday. As per usual, the guy didn't want to put it on the roof - they always try to convince you of putting it on a stalk in the yard.

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of that in my neighborhood. What's the deal with that? Why are the antennas not being installed where it would best pick up the signal? Wind concerns, or are the installers just too namby-pamby about drilling into people's roofs?

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of that in my neighborhood. What's the deal with that? Why are the antennas not being installed where it would best pick up the signal? Wind concerns, or are the installers just too namby-pamby about drilling into people's roofs?

I doubt it's about wind, but beyond that I don't really know. The dish has to have a clear sightline to a part of the sky (depending on where the residence is) and that could be a part of it. Other concerns could be whether there's a proper mounting surface on the roof. But I know that they can mount to the board under the shingles.

I have a metal roof and he immediately told me they couldn't install on a metal roof - end of story. But we walked around and above my garage was a perfect place to mount the dish with a 90 degree mounting onto the side of the room above the garage, and the sightline to the southwest sky was perfect.

I suspect that installer unwillingness (for various reasons) is part of it. The same thing happened at my previous house - I had to insist on a roof installation.

They put a couple of leaky holes into my mother in law's roof that caused all kinds of trouble, so there's that.

I doubt it's about wind, but beyond that I don't really know. The dish has to have a clear sightline to a part of the sky (depending on where the residence is) and that could be a part of it. Other concerns could be whether there's a proper mounting surface on the roof. But I know that they can mount to the board under the shingles.

I have a metal roof and he immediately told me they couldn't install on a metal roof - end of story. But we walked around and above my garage was a perfect place to mount the dish with a 90 degree mounting onto the side of the room above the garage, and the sightline to the southwest sky was perfect.

I suspect that installer unwillingness (for various reasons) is part of it. The same thing happened at my previous house - I had to insist on a roof installation.

One would think a rooftop installation would be more likely to offer an unobstructed view of the southern sky (where their satellites orbit) than a ground-based mount. And while that location may make it more susceptible to wind-caused wobble (which will mess up your reception), I think buzd's post about them causing leaks in roofs is probably more likely -- they'd rather not risk pissing off their customers right away like that.

Then there's probably installers' fears (not to mention fears of their insurance companies -- and their lawyers) about falling while up on a homeowner's roof.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom