Finally finished building my new desk. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't happy with the misses work from home station. So, I thought I get her something nice and proud to have since she'll probably working from home more in the forseeable future. I hated the current desk options. .So, I got in touch with a carpenter. Helped make a desk out of Maple. Stained it. I bought some metal legs. Predrill and Use some lag screws. Easiest DYI project that I really ever done.

20200810_003141.jpg20200810_001318.jpg20200810_001331.jpg20200810_001346.jpg

Having been working at home for a few months now, and moving to a new place this week, I'm seriously thinking about buying or building a desk for myself. I've been using a TV tray and my couch for 3 months and that's getting old.

Thanks for posting. This gives me some ideas on what I might do, although I think I'd rather have a corner or L shaped design. We'll see what's best in the home I'm moving to.

The stain looks great. I did two end tables, but I'm not that great at staining.. haha.

But where are the cup holders?

The stain looks great. I did two end tables, but I'm not that great at staining.. haha.

But where are the cup holders?
I didn't want to cut holes into it. I wanted too though, but It's too pretty now. I don't think I can do a better stain job than this lol

I didn't want to cut holes into it. I wanted too though, but It's too pretty now. I don't think I can do a better stain job than this lol
What kind of stain? Water, oil, gel?

looks awesome. Looks like the same process as making high end cutting boards, is that right? And what did the top alone run you?
Yep edge grain cut. The top cost me $500. Which is the best deal you'll probably ever find for a maple table top 7 feet length by 31 inches width right at 1 1/2 thickness.

I wasn't happy with the misses work from home station. So, I thought I get her something nice and proud to have since she'll probably working from home more in the forseeable future. I hated the current desk options. .So, I got in touch with a carpenter. Helped make a desk out of Maple. Stained it. I bought some metal legs. Predrill and Use some lag screws. Easiest DYI project that I really ever done.

20200810_003141.jpg20200810_001318.jpg20200810_001331.jpg20200810_001346.jpg

Very BEAUTIFUL!!! You should be proud & what a considerate gift to your wife! 👍😍

But, $500.00????!!!! Yikes. It seems as though for that much 💰, you could have found a nice, used desk with drawers that someone wanted to sell?

But then you would not have the satisfaction of a DYI fun project........never mind. 😳

Where'd you get the legs?

I made a desk with a similar top, though about half the thickness for under $50. Could have used a solid door :) Looks like you used a butcher block. For some reason those are outrageous.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom