Finally not mad at Drew Brees anymore (1 Viewer)

Noisemaker

Loud for Our Team
Reaction score
It took me a whole week after the loss, but I am finally not mad at Drew anymore.

He lost that game for us, but I will be glad if he wants to return next year.

I have watched every Saints game intensely since 1984, so I can appreciate how special it has been to have Drew make the New Orleans Saints a consistent winning team our city can be very proud of. I will not forget how many bad teams I watched struggle for so long.

Drew can play until he says he's had enough. He has earned that. I hope everyone feels the same.

What's the worst that can happen, another entertaining winning season that ends in the playoffs. We used to long for just one season like that. And you never know, with a little luck and a better running game to help out an aging Brees (please figure that out Coach Payton!), we may achieve greatness.

Come back Drew. I will be there cheering the loudest for you!

And sign Hill to a 3 year contract, so he's ready to be our next QB.

I think he is back. The Saints know now they must put weapons around him and build the defense and lines up so that Drew doesn’t need to carry the team.

It took me a whole week after the loss, but I am finally not mad at Drew anymore.

He lost that game for us, but I will be glad if he wants to return next year.

I have watched every Saints game intensely since 1984, so I can appreciate how special it has been to have Drew make the New Orleans Saints a consistent winning team our city can be very proud of. I will not forget how many bad teams I watched struggle for so long.

Drew can play until he says he's had enough. He has earned that. I hope everyone feels the same.

What's the worst that can happen, another entertaining winning season that ends in the playoffs. We used to long for just one season like that. And you never know, with a little luck and a better running game to help out an aging Brees (please figure that out Coach Payton!), we may achieve greatness.

Come back Drew. I will be there cheering the loudest for you!

And sign Hill to a 3 year contract, so he's ready to be our next QB.

He will probably sleep better tonight now

Regardless if the QB next season is Drew, or Taysom, Teddy, a Rookie whomever.. you are going to have to surround them with a better receiver group to compliment Mike than Ginn, Tre'Quan, Kirkwood, and Austin Carr...they combined for 49 receptions the entire season. Mike had 149 on his own.

I have no idea how this wasn't addressed before, or during the season when everyone could tell it was the weakest position on the roster. If you don't sign some experienced veterans, and draft some young talent to re-shape the receiver group you are just setting up the Saints QB for failure next season.

Regardless if the QB next season is Drew, or Taysom, Teddy, a Rookie whomever.. you are going to have to surround them with a better receiver group to compliment Mike than Ginn, Tre'Quan, Kirkwood, and Austin Carr...they combined for 49 receptions the entire season. Mike had 149 on his own.

I have no idea how this wasn't addressed before, or during the season when everyone could tell it was the weakest position on the roster. If you don't sign some experienced veterans, and draft some young talent to re-shape the receiver group you are just setting up the Saints QB for failure next season.
Well, Cook took time to come around. Kamara wasn't nearly as effective or explosive as a receiver this year.

But if you entered the season thinking Cook, Kamara, CGM, Hill and hoping Smith might breakout, there were some weapons in theory. Another was definitely needed.

Emmanuel Butler must have really fizzled out because his style was more of the option needed rather than the pure vertical speedster yet he stayed on the PS and even Humphrey got ahead of him.

I think he is back. The Saints know now they must put weapons around him and build the defense and lines up so that Drew doesn’t need to carry the team.
Well. I hope they knew that before now. We all did. We see the holes from a distance. And it’s not that easy to just fill the holes exactly how you want to, but they have to see it and have to address it strongly and convincingly, so we have the upper hand on a championship. Not just luck or happenstance.

The minute this team stops relying on Brees, the better Drew can be. Everyone needs to pull their weight and do their job.
He can't save us all the time anymore.
D has to show up weekly and the offense needs to help him.
Get a veteran wr opposite of Thomas and
figure out if Kamara was hurt or disinterested.
Our draft this year needs to hit big time.
Plug the holes and get back to work.

Well, Cook took time to come around. Kamara wasn't nearly as effective or explosive as a receiver this year.

But if you entered the season thinking Cook, Kamara, CGM, Hill and hoping Smith might breakout, there were some weapons in theory. Another was definitely needed.

Emmanuel Butler must have really fizzled out because his style was more of the option needed rather than the pure vertical speedster yet he stayed on the PS and even Humphrey got ahead of him.
Cook was a solid option especially after a slow start but he's still a Tight End, and can be guarded by the better Linebackers in the league. Like Eric Kendricks, Keuchly, Bobby Wagner. He also lacks some versatility as he's a pretty poor blocker, he drew a lot of holding penalties this season. So teams have kind of figured when he's in it's usually not a run play and they play him like a big Slot. Need to improve his blocking technique this off-season.

Kamara outside of a handful of games. (Houston, Seattle, 2nd Tampa game) was barely a factor in the passing game this season.. some will attribute it to the injury; but his usage was highly questionable.. Where were the creative, intermediate down the field type routes from him this year? Kansas City ran a beautiful Wheel route for a Touchdown with Damien Williams today, and Aaron Jones in Green Bay frequently runs Seam routes from the backfield.. why is Kamara never used on these type of play designs.

I'm tired of this board hyping up guys like Butler, Humphrey, Kirkwood.. these guys are camp bodies, and practice squad fodder until proven otherwise. Even Tre'Quan is running out of excuses, watching the 49ers play against the Vikings in the Divisional round.. Deebo Samuel is a Rookie and he's out there playing with intensity, diving, reaching out behind him, and laying out sacrificing his body for poorly thrown passes from Jimmy G... and we have Tre'Quan who is still lining up wrong, and can't even beat one of the slowest Safeties in the league in Andrew Sendejo matched up 1-1 coverage on a seam route that hits him in his hands. Year 3 is when Wide receivers either get it, or they don't. This is going to be the make or break year for TQS...

This off-season I'd look into making a play for one of Emmanuel Sanders, Randall Cobb, or Breshad Perriman.. and not just stop there but target Leviska Shenault Jr., Henry Ruggs III, Tee Higgins, or move up for Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb if one of them starts to fall in Round 1. I think If TQS, Butler, Kirkwood, or Humphrey want to make the roster next year they are going to have to claw and beat out some actual competition..

Last edited:

Take this for what it is

My cousin works around the facility and he said the Saints and Sean Payton are very high on Emmanuel Butler.

He said that Butler was just Raw coming out of a small school college and the Saints/Sean didnt want to just throw him in the fire. They wanted to groom him on the PS this year so he could be prepared for next year.

He also said that Butler was making huge strides all year, so it wasnt about Humphrey being better then Butler it was all based on strategy

I will say my cousin has never steered me the wrong way yet. So I have no reason not to believe this was true.

Also the Saints releasing lil Jordan earlier this year instead of Butler, pretty much portrays what he is saying

I really have high Hopes for the kid, and think that he may shock a lot of people next year

Take this for what it is

My cousin works around the facility and he said the Saints and Sean Payton are very high on Emmanuel Butler.

He said that Butler was just Raw coming out of a small school college and the Saints/Sean didnt want to just throw him in the fire. They wanted to groom him on the PS this year so he could be prepared for next year.

He also said that Butler was making huge strides all year, so it wasnt about Humphrey being better then Butler it was all based on strategy

I will say my cousin has never steered me the wrong way yet. So I have no reason not to believe this was true.

Also the Saints releasing lil Jordan earlier this year instead of Butler, pretty much portrays what he is saying

I really have high Hopes for the kid, and think that he may shock a lot of people next year
That's fine and dandy but he sure helped a lot in that Playoff game, watching from the bench..

The Saints have had numerous camp beasts who have dominated in Training Camp, and Pre-season to be regular season flops once the big lights get turned on.

Right now it is what is, the Saints have been poor evaluators of bringing in WR talent outside of striking gold with "Can't Guard Mike", flopped on Cam Meredith, only got 1 good productive year out of Ted Ginn, year 3 and still waiting on Tre'Quan, undrafted guys like Carr, and Kirkwood have barely made any impact at all and struggle to see the field, or even be active on game day.

I get it they have a strategy with him, but I'm not holding off on going after a Cobb or Sanders in free agency or targeting Jeudy, Lamb, Shenault in this Draft because they are hoping Butler "pans" out and can "develop" into something one day.

I think drew did play poorly but typically 40 year old qb's have more than a few games like this. The only time i was really annoyed with drew was when he tried to do that deep pass.
We need a WR 2 and some guards, but we know what we need at least. I feel a lot better this year than i did at the end of last season.

Putting the blame on Drew is just sad. Did he have his best game? No! But to say he lost the game is just ignorant. You can’t place the loss one just one person, it was a team loss. Drew made mistakes but so did Peat, the defense on 3rd downs, and who ever ran the wrong route on Drew’s fumble. The defense’s inability to stop multiple 3rd and longs is more to blame than Drew.

I was never mad at Drew. His O-line got manhandled up the middle. and why Sean didn't make Drew roll the pocket still bewilders me. Plus we should've used Taysom Hill and Murray more because Kamara was obviously not 100%. Also they should've had Zach Line in more to help blocking... just my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom