Finally not mad at Drew Brees anymore (1 Viewer)

I don't know if they could have afforded him but I wish the Saints would have went after Cole Beasley last season. The Saints need one of those shifty, Lance Moore type of slot receivers.

Putting the blame on Drew is just sad. Did he have his best game? No! But to say he lost the game is just ignorant. You can’t place the loss one just one person, it was a team loss. Drew made mistakes but so did Peat, the defense on 3rd downs, and who ever ran the wrong route on Drew’s fumble. The defense’s inability to stop multiple 3rd and longs is more to blame than Drew.
I think the blame comes from the fact that he did un-Drew things. He turned the ball over in the red zone, which is so rare I think it only occurred one other time this year, the opener against Houston. We are used to seeing him perform as flawlessly as the game will allow and when he does not do that, when he makes bad decisions, it's conspicuous.
I hope he comes back because we have to take the long view - he has been great and will likely remain great and we owe him something for his service.

Take this for what it is

My cousin works around the facility and he said the Saints and Sean Payton are very high on Emmanuel Butler.

He said that Butler was just Raw coming out of a small school college and the Saints/Sean didnt want to just throw him in the fire. They wanted to groom him on the PS this year so he could be prepared for next year.

He also said that Butler was making huge strides all year, so it wasnt about Humphrey being better then Butler it was all based on strategy

I will say my cousin has never steered me the wrong way yet. So I have no reason not to believe this was true.

Also the Saints releasing lil Jordan earlier this year instead of Butler, pretty much portrays what he is saying

I really have high Hopes for the kid, and think that he may shock a lot of people next year
Interesting.

It took me a whole week after the loss, but I am finally not mad at Drew anymore.

He lost that game for us, but I will be glad if he wants to return next year.

I have watched every Saints game intensely since 1984, so I can appreciate how special it has been to have Drew make the New Orleans Saints a consistent winning team our city can be very proud of. I will not forget how many bad teams I watched struggle for so long.

Drew can play until he says he's had enough. He has earned that. I hope everyone feels the same.

What's the worst that can happen, another entertaining winning season that ends in the playoffs. We used to long for just one season like that. And you never know, with a little luck and a better running game to help out an aging Brees (please figure that out Coach Payton!), we may achieve greatness.

Come back Drew. I will be there cheering the loudest for you!

And sign Hill to a 3 year contract, so he's ready to be our next QB.

Its not Brees fault out guards couldn't stop the vikes DE's when they switched them to the middle of their D line

I was never mad at Drew. His O-line got manhandled up the middle. and why Sean didn't make Drew roll the pocket still bewilders me. Plus we should've used Taysom Hill and Murray more because Kamara was obviously not 100%. Also they should've had Zach Line in more to help blocking... just my opinion.
I'm pretty sure Line didn't even play. I know he was DNP at practice the whole week before the game. It's night and day with our running game when he does and doesn't play.

I'm pretty sure Line didn't even play. I know he was DNP at practice the whole week before the game. It's night and day with our running game when he does and doesn't play.
i knew he was hurt and was DNP during the week. So what's our plan B for FB position? Because we sure needed one.

I think the blame comes from the fact that he did un-Drew things. He turned the ball over in the red zone, which is so rare I think it only occurred one other time this year, the opener against Houston. We are used to seeing him perform as flawlessly as the game will allow and when he does not do that, when he makes bad decisions, it's conspicuous.
I hope he comes back because we have to take the long view - he has been great and will likely remain great and we owe him something for his service.

no, actually we don’t owe him for his service. This is the worst argument for keeping him. We can all appreciate what he did for the city and this team, but we don’t owe him. Next year’s drew will be less than this years, it’s unavoidable, time catches all.

i knew he was hurt and was DNP during the week. So what's our plan B for FB position? Because we sure needed one.
#30 played FB in his place in the previous game and did a decent job but barely took any snaps at FB in the WC game (which was really confusing to me...). I saw him on every punt coverage team though.

The o-line and d-line played like crap for most of the game, Lutz missed a kick that would have won the game for us and Brees made a couple of bad mistakes.

Brees didn't lose the game. It was a team loss from the coaches down.

Not mad at Drew, mad at coach. I felt despite the int, missed fg, they STILL could have won that game. (IF) SP had kept Taysom in that 4th qtr drive.. you know, the one I keep bringing up on here lol - he could not be stopped, got them to the 20, you could FEEL the momentum starting to swing back in their favor... and SP yanks him from the game. I never understood why he kills momentum like that. That rotational stuff is getting kind of old. Why not keep riding the hot hand so to speak?

no, actually we don’t owe him for his service. This is the worst argument for keeping him. We can all appreciate what he did for the city and this team, but we don’t owe him. Next year’s drew will be less than this years, it’s unavoidable, time catches all.

You bring up a good point and I was thinking of starting a new post but since you brought it up I’ll just go from here.

So how much is Drew worth? He’ll be 41 on Jan 15th. While his mental abilities are top notch elite, there’s no doubt his physical abilities are regressing. Drew still has good zip on the ball and I don’t know how much of his reluctance on the deep ball had to do with his reduced hand grip strength. Drew can still throw the ball 40-50 yards in the air which IMO is plenty. My knock on Drew’s deep ball is he waits to long to throw it which leads to an under throw. IMO if he would make the decision and chunk it up earlier I feel he would look a lot better. Even if it’s an over throw, you got to let it go and trust the WR to go get it. But his 30yards and under throws are still on point with plenty of zip.

So my question is how much is Drew worth? I honestly don’t know how dead money on the Cap works so hopefully someone can educate me. So Drew counts some 20-21mil in dead space next season. So does that mean we are paying Drew that money or is that money we can’t spend against the cap? If it is guaranteed money that we have to pay him anyway, then If he does come back I can’t see why that can’t be his salary for the year with a low contract price. Like a 1 year for 5 mil + the 20 mil. Now if it’s just money we can’t spend then how much is he worth 15, 18, 20, 20+ mil?

I know Drew has never had the mega contract and Top QB’s are getting up in the 30-40mil range but is an aging QB who’s showing signs of physical limitations worth that much? Drew is a smart man and has made around 20mil a year for a while now, plus endorsements, plus other businesses (Walk-ons, Jimmy John’s, and I don’t know what else) he’s not hurting for money. So is this the year he takes less knowing we have other key guys who are going to cost a LOT (Ram, Lattimore, Bell, Jenkins, and AK).

It took me a whole week after the loss, but I am finally not mad at Drew anymore.

He lost that game for us, but I will be glad if he wants to return next year.

I have watched every Saints game intensely since 1984, so I can appreciate how special it has been to have Drew make the New Orleans Saints a consistent winning team our city can be very proud of. I will not forget how many bad teams I watched struggle for so long.

Drew can play until he says he's had enough. He has earned that. I hope everyone feels the same.

What's the worst that can happen, another entertaining winning season that ends in the playoffs. We used to long for just one season like that. And you never know, with a little luck and a better running game to help out an aging Brees (please figure that out Coach Payton!), we may achieve greatness.

Come back Drew. I will be there cheering the loudest for you!

And sign Hill to a 3 year contract, so he's ready to be our next QB.

More of the same then, SP feeding DB's passing stats; the run game remains a step child.
The problem is not DB alone; or SP alone: Its the combination that kills the Saints playoff chances. The run game will always be the step child.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom