Finding Real estate in emerging markets (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
As the title states, How would I go about locating real estate in markets that are not blown up yet. Take example Mandeville. 10 years ago you could get a place for 100k. Now the average house is around 300k.

Is there a way to go to google analytics and see the population growth/economy measurement.
Reason is im looking to purchase/ build a duplex. Live in one, rent out the other. Is the ideal scenario.

Not trying to compete in NOLA, BR or Slidell. Maybe out of state.
Any advice or suggestions for this real estate newbie.

As the title states, How would I go about locating real estate in markets that are not blown up yet. Take example Mandeville. 10 years ago you could get a place for 100k. Now the average house is around 300k.

Is there a way to go to google analytics and see the population growth/economy measurement.
Reason is im looking to purchase/ build a duplex. Live in one, rent out the other. Is the ideal scenario.

I want to get into real estate. But most of the legitimate sources I have read discuss ways to make money the hard way... making financially responsible decisions (at purchase, while upgrading, etc). Market appreciation is not a given, so if your plan is to have your asset appreciate, then that is really a high stakes gamble. Most people view owning real estate as really hard work if you are going to make money off it. Speculating on market appreciation is dangerous. I’m still researching and would love to broaden my portfolio, but if you read legitimate sources (not get rich quick folks), it is pretty intimidating. The fact that real estate has increased in value so much and so rapidly recently should actually give a little bit of cause for concern.

One of my favorite threads.

I looked into India, you have to marry someone to own property there. Well, at least that's what I found out to be true according to some google searches.

This sounds like investing advice, I would ask BClemens, he probably knows how, or can point you in the right direction. Yo BC what's up?

Take example Mandeville. 10 years ago you could get a place for 100k. Now the average house is around 300k.

You must be thinking of the 1980s.. It’s been a minute since you could get anything decent in Mandeville for $100k.

I know many, many, many people who have done this.. Personally , i never did, main reason being is i dont want to live right next door to my tenant, becuase if they have an issue, any issue whatsoever in the middle of the night- guess who’s getting a knock on the door at 3am?
Also, as has been mentioned - owning/maintaining/managing property is real work.. IMO if you want to invest in real estate, and make money, you should invest in REITS (google if you dont know what I’m referring to) where you can make money in real estate of all kinds without the sweat equity.. Of course, Covid has changed the realities of both owning real property as well as REITs, so tread carefully.

Using Mandeville is odd.

The St. Tammany explosion is directly related to Katrina aftermath. There was no way of "forecasting" this event.

We had made the choice in 2004 to move to Madisonville. Home was finished in May 2005. We moved in June 2005. We were the 3rd home in a planned 101 home 2 phase subdivision.

We didnt even have a paved road in Phase II when i moved in.

One month after Katrina, not only did we have that paved road, we had 50 houses going up and selling as fast as they could pour the slab. Shoot, Shell bought 3 homes in Phase I for displaced employees.

NO one saw that coming.

So speaking of alternate housing, reportedly there’s a big uptick inRV purchases - are people going to hold onto those or dump them back in the market?

So speaking of alternate housing, reportedly there’s a big uptick inRV purchases - are people going to hold onto those or dump them back in the market?

The conventional wisdom is that there will be great deals to be had on RVs next year.. mainly b/c lots of people will figure out that the RV lifestyle isnt for them.. ive been window-shopping for a while and i love the Winnebago Travato Class B camper vans .. theyre pretty expensive new, and even the used ones are pricey- but I’m hoping that the prices‘ll come down to a reasonable level in the next couple years.

Incidentally, a lot of people are making serious $$ renting out their RVs when not using them.. not sure if that’ll last or if it’s just a Covid thing.

The conventional wisdom is that there will be great deals to be had on RVs next year.. mainly b/c lots of people will figure out that the RV lifestyle isnt for them.. ive been window-shopping for a while and i love the Winnebago Travato Class B camper vans .. theyre pretty expensive new, and even the used ones are pricey- but I’m hoping that the prices‘ll come down to a reasonable level in the next couple years.

Incidentally, a lot of people are making serious $$ renting out their RVs when not using them.. not sure if that’ll last or if it’s just a Covid thing.

AirRV?

Interesting. Wonder how they navigate the liability issues.

This thread is the best ever, well, maybe went a little to far there.

I totally see a new hippy generation coming. Make dove, not bore.

Scooby Doo, Where are You?

1606375792357.png

My 17 yr old is a bona-fide 70s gal. She would absolutely kill for that VW.
She asked for that for her first auto. Like begged us.

She got a Hyundai lol.

My 17 yr old is a bona-fide 70s gal. She would absolutely kill for that VW.
She asked for that for her first auto. Like begged us.

She got a Hyundai lol.
We had a VW van up until I was about 12 or so
Sometimes we took out the middle seat and put it on the carport for extra seating
#classy

I’ve been thinking about an RV since last year. For various reasons, I’m not able to get one for another two years. Anyway, I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos made by owners and people in the industry. The RV market is pretty hot right now. People in the industry seem to think that the used market will take a few years to catch up to what is going on now. People are buying like crazy and financing like crazy too. They are all upside down right now and it will take time for those who want to sell to pay down what they owe to a manageable level. I think that most of the people that realize it isn’t for them will just park theirs and in a few years there will be a glut of lightly used, heavily neglected towable RVs for sale.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom