Fiorio on "cash over cap" contracts (Brady and Brees contracts are discussed) (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup. Same thing we've been discussing on the other threads on the sorta similar subject. The year Brees' contract gets huge he and the team will make a choice. If he's not playing well, he'd be cut. If he's still playing at a high level, they'd rather extend him and he'd want to protect himself by getting guaranteed money, a signing bonus, and little to no salary. Just like Brady. It's just premature to do it now. It doesn't make sense until 2015. Also Brees' cap numbers aren't a problem until 2015.

Right now the Giants have a cap hit of over 20M for Eli. Brees is just 17M. I know that sounds like a lot, but for a top flight QB it's like 5th place (since Brady re-upped).

I still think that maybe the owners will think to modify a system of "amnesty" like the MLS in which one or more players' contracts can be handled outside of the cap.

I am just thinking on 2016, when the rookies + Cam Newton, Dalton, Kaepernick, Eli and Rodgers will have new contracts. All will be eating a substantial amount of the cap of their teams.

That impedes other players to get big contracts, and that is no good news, for both the teams and the players.

It seems that the current labor agreement is very limited, and also that Goodell got whatever he wanted. He may have gone too far and that can more trouble to his office in a couple of years.

I'm with Loomis on the "let's see what happens in 2015 when 2015 gets here" game.

I still think that maybe the owners will think to modify a system of "amnesty" like the MLS in which one or more players' contracts can be handled outside of the cap.

I am just thinking on 2016, when the rookies + Cam Newton, Dalton, Kaepernick, Eli and Rodgers will have new contracts. All will be eating a substantial amount of the cap of their teams.

That impedes other players to get big contracts, and that is no good news, for both the teams and the players.

It seems that the current labor agreement is very limited, and also that Goodell got whatever he wanted. He may have gone too far and that can more trouble to his office in a couple of years.

We have three full seasons until then.

it will work out. Let's worry about today.

Not a priority but unless the Saints feel Chase is the long term answer they would be wise to get someone in here that would be. Perhaps not this year but within the next 3-4 years for certain so they will be ready when Brees becomes a shadow of his former self as a player. I do see Brees retiring a Saint though unless something goes horribly wrong.

Not a priority but unless the Saints feel Chase is the long term answer they would be wise to get someone in here that would be. Perhaps not this year but within the next 3-4 years for certain so they will be ready when Brees becomes a shadow of his former self as a player. I do see Brees retiring a Saint though unless something goes horribly wrong.

I totally agree with this. I think the Saints going to a 3&4 system on defense indicates that the long term solution is the right system, especially after Brees retires. Slowly the Saints FO starts rebuilding the defense, that is the only sure thing which will keep the Saints in playoff contention. Players like Brees are a very rare events, once in the lifetime...if a team is lucky to get their hands on that player. So the next best thing is... having a great defense after Brees retires.

other than the raw numbers growing has QB as a percentage of cap really grown over the years?

Kristian Garic @KristianGaric1
#Saints QB Brees says "I'm always willing to consider anything to help the team or the cap situation"on if he would b willing 2 restructure

That selfish, me-first Drew Brees.

Key word: consider. He didn't say he would.

Key word: consider. He didn't say he would.

Whatever.

He did it in 2009 and has shown the willingness to do whatever it takes to be a good, team guy. This unbridled venom that has come up for Brees just because Brady agreed to get $57M guaranteed is pretty pathetic and gross.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom