First 2 Hopkins TDs (screenshots and coverage breakdown) (1 Viewer)

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
If anyone wants to upload video clips you're more than welcome to.

FIRST TD

This is at the Goal line. You can see Presnap here that the Saints are in Cover 7, which is a low red zone coverage where you are (essentially) dividing the field
into 7 horizontal zones. You can see the CBs playing outside leverage catch technique (soft press) meaning they are fade responsible. The overhangs (PJ Williams at the bottom of the screen) are catch technique on #2 (slot) and slant responsible on #1 if #2 releases inside or outside.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.10.57 AM.png

This is right after the snap, and the both of the WR's at the bottom are running slants. They stem vertical first to establish timing and to drive the defender over them back on his heels. One thing I did not see in real time is that the slot DOES do a good job of running up PJ Williams toes before breaking in on his slant.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.11.14 AM.png

The #2 WR at the bottom breaks in on his slant. PJ can pass him off as he has a high/low bracket by the LB and the S. Seeing slant by #2, his job now should be to sink and locate #1. The most dangerous route he needs to defend is the slant by #1. Remember, Cover 7 is an effective coverage in the low red zone because WRs can only run so many routes (condensed space).
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.11.27 AM.png

Three things happen here: 2 good by the Texans and 1 bad by PJ Williams. 1) Hopkins sets his slant 'high' or 'skinny'... he runs his route to space rather than to coverage (skinny angle rather than a flat angle out of his break). 2) Watson is patient and doesn't force the throw to the slant out of the break... he hits it in the 2nd window. 3) PJ Williams floats shallow. I will dial back some of my earlier criticism because this was really a bang-bang play, so easier said than done, but he has to get depth and use his eyes to locate #1 rather than staring down the QB. He stays stationary, and needs to know that if the QB is a) looking in his direction (right at him in this case) and b) not throwing the ball, he is waiting for the route to clear. Lattimore almost certainly communicated the slant, so he needs to either locate 1 with his eyes or be savvy enough to continue gaining depth and maintaining position in that slant window.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.11.44 AM.png

The next frame would be Hopkins catching the TD about 8 yards deep in the end zone. Williams stays shallow despite having no underneath threat. He also knows that the #1 WR to his side is Hopkins, so again, while there are some fundamental breakdowns that happen because the NFL is a VERY FAST game... He needs to exhibit a little more situational awareness here.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think he just got high/lowed on it and made a bad decision. It's a post + dig concept. Tight end runs a dig and the WR runs a post behind it. Watson reads the safety.

They're in what looks like cover 3, so M. Williams should open to the post... as you can see in the pics, there was a LB + Cam Jordan sinking to the dig.

As I type this, I realize I may have been a little hard on PJ Williams on that play. If they truly were in cover 3, that TD is on Marcus Williams.
im almost certain that MW was on bench injured ( groin ) and that was either Bell or someone else single high.

but if not, he took the wrong assignment for sure.

OP
OP
TCUDan

TCUDan

Cutting the lead blocker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
im almost certain that MW was on bench injured ( groin ) and that was either Bell or someone else single high.

but if not, he took the wrong assignment for sure.
You're right, I think he was off at that point.

DeuceMcAllisterFan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s a bit disappointing to see these type of breakdowns in the defense as they’ve pretty much been in the same system with virtually the same players and coaching staff going into their 3rd season together. This happens every year out of the gates for some reason.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think he just got high/lowed on it and made a bad decision. It's a post + dig concept. Tight end runs a dig and the WR runs a post behind it. Watson reads the safety.

They're in what looks like cover 3, so M. Williams should open to the post... as you can see in the pics, there was a LB + Cam Jordan sinking to the dig.

As I type this, I realize I may have been a little hard on PJ Williams on that play. If they truly were in cover 3, that TD is on Marcus Williams.
On the last play, we had no one with any depth at the start of the play. I was stunned. The outside corners were playing tight and the safety was almost at linebacker depth.

new city champ

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

That’s my issue. With under a minute to go, no time outs, a 6 point lead and the length of the field for them to drive, it would seem if there was ever a time for your free safety to be playing deep center field to prevent an opponent from going over the top, that would be it. Instead the Texans receivers got behind Williams not once but twice! Crazy!

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You're right, I think he was off at that point.
ok no he was on.

So if you watch that play again, Both he and Bell feign blitz at LOS.

Bell blitzes from right ( defensive right side ) - MW bails to cover his vacated spot. Problem was we executed a stunt that completely opened the LOS giving Watson clear vision and seeing MW bailing to his left. So he made a snap decision to stay right and it paid off.

So that was the reason there was no two deep safties. Bell and MW both feigned blitz at LOS and Bell came, MW bailed but bailed back to Bell spot.

My thinking is that they figured Watson would throw to the vacated area ( where bell would normally be ) but he didnt.

FrenchieATX

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
My question Dan, are we seeing miscommunication on the concept because DA has over complicated the scheme at the beginning of the season again, as he has been known to in seasons past? Or is this a common concept that the players are failing to execute in individual instances because of rust or until they "gel" as a unit in the early stages of the season?

Thanks, and really is good to have your insight and postings more frequent for as long as your able this season.
Thanks for asking that question, it's been my concern especially since the final Texans micro-drive that nearly cost us the game.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What I saw was Cover 7, backed by Catch 22, on Route 66 to California. Then I took another big sip of tequila, called the coaches for a prayer and Brees implements his "Up Their Rears 3" scheme to win the game. Then I took another shot to celebrate - lol

TCU Dan - all kidding aside, want to thank you so much for your highly knowledgeable insights and greatly appreciated posts. With your teaching, I may actually know what I'm looking at before I die - lmao. Thanks again! It's hard to train us Cajuns sometimes.

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
not to beat a dead horse....but there is DAvenport at the EXACT moment ( PIC 1 )his momentum was changed from the hold ( the one i alluded to in your other thread)

AND THE ONLY ONE in the middle and the REFS didnt see it. And when Oline hand is on the OUTSIDE of SHOULDER PAD - its automatic.

amazin.
I took screen shots of that last night and texted it to my buddy who needed to be talked off the ledge :) Davenport looked to be stunting up the middle and the hold was blatant to me from that angle, but from the side angle it doesn't look as eggregious. I think Marcus one day will learn how to sell it better.

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s a bit disappointing to see these type of breakdowns in the defense as they’ve pretty much been in the same system with virtually the same players and coaching staff going into their 3rd season together. This happens every year out of the gates for some reason.
That's my issue/observation with DA and the coverage. I've come to expect it. DA normally gets it figured out by the first month but it is a consistent trend.

Kind of like Sean trying to play with his Taysom toy and drop a stinky load on any momentum and any rhythm Drew has. Heck, Drew's INT was on a play designed to go to Taysom.. Drew hesitated when Taysom looked like he may have flashed open, flushed, and made a horrendous decision to dump it to Murray. I love Taysom, but I do cringe in a close game when we need to let Drew just Drew it and Sean tries to do this tired Taysom gimmicky plays because he can't help himslef :)

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the video clip

**If** Watson was an avg to poor qb and throws "a bullet right to Hopkins", then PJW possibly could have made a play.

But a good to great QB, puts air on the ball and LEADS the WR up the field. (As Watson did.)

[Which is why I was flabbergasted when Drew threw his pick. ]

(My commentary isn't directed at you, Coach...)

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Video clip

I'm not sure but it seems that MW is way too slow in covering/closing in on Hopkins;

DD seems to be looking at the RB coming out of the backfield;

and I have no clue what Anzalone is doing in the middle of the field.

(Again, my commentary is not directed at you, Coach.)

Last edited:

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
not to beat a dead horse....but there is DAvenport at the EXACT moment ( PIC 1 )his momentum was changed from the hold ( the one i alluded to in your other thread)

AND THE ONLY ONE in the middle and the REFS didnt see it. And when Oline hand is on the OUTSIDE of SHOULDER PAD - its automatic.

amazin.
Yeah, but...

he played through the hold ala the NE game in the days of Jr.

smh at the"arbitrariness", nay, DISHONESTY, of the refs!

kidjock24

All Star
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great post DAN! I'm encourage seeing this more than anything because these are simple mistakes that we can clean up. Plus there aren't many Hopkins out there. I trust Davis and Williams will get their stuff together and clean these things up. Plus with Onyemata coming back and Rankins back in a month, QB's won't have a pocket to step up into.

guillermo

Visible minority
Reaction score
Dan, you are a treasure for this forum.

After reading all of this, I can't stop thinking that it really is only the second season of PJ as a slot receiver. He may be needing more time to learn the position.

The interesting thing to me is that we have Patrick Robinson in the bench. I know he didn't look good at all during the preseason but he was mainly playing boundary corner during the second half of the games.

He was signed to come back after being rated the best slot corner of 2017 with the Eagles. I wonder how he is physically and mentally, but I would not be shocked if they give him some playing time in the next couple of weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom