First 2 Hopkins TDs (screenshots and coverage breakdown) (1 Viewer)

Dan, you knowledge is much appreciated! I think it also shows some of us lesser knowledge fans just how difficult this game can be on a mental level. Imagine having to make these decisions on the fly in seconds?

Thanks Dan!

Exactly! That's why I try to reiterate that I'm not trying to dump on these guys. I have a tremendous respect for what it takes to play and coach at that level. These guys are elite athletes and even PJ Williams--for as much as I criticize him--has made a place for himself at the NFL table. It's very easy to criticize from afar.

That being said, I have been coaching for a while and I get P'Oed off when I see bad fundamentals or us making the oppositions job easier than it should be. Like I said in another thread, that spectacular 50/50 ball that Hopkins caught over Eli Apple did not bother me. Him beating Lattimore deep on a key reception, just beating him 1-on-1... that stuff happens.

But when I see just bad football in critical situations, the coach in me gets irked. But it also provides material to share and discuss on here. I will definitely post some more positive X&O's stuff later :)

I wasn't even going to share these shots from this gem of a play by PJ Williams (TD play on the 2 play drive by the Texans to take the lead).

He should be staying in his backpedal longer (as long as he can) using a weave technique, not flipping his hips open when he still has 5 yards of cushion. The WR stems him outside, gets him to flip his hips early, then rocker steps back in on the seam route.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.19.09 AM.png

Quality isn't great, but you can see PJ coming out of a speed turn to try and recover on the seam. The problem is when you get stemmed out of position like that, all the WR has to do is flatten out his route and you don't have the angle. I will also say that I don't know why the hell Marcus Williams is jumping on the underneath route rather than staying deep middle... but this is an example of the little technical bad habits PJ Williams have that seem to flare up like herpes in critical situations.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 4.20.12 AM.png
The empty middle in this situation is a total head scratcher.

First off, excellent analysis Dan, much appreciated!.

On the first TD, Williams is supposed to pass off the inside slant, correct? I'm looking at the players' positions here, it looks like the LB stepped up to press 14's route, but he's also in a bad position to make that play. I'm thinking that Williams saw that and thought Watson was going to try to squeeze it in there. But in truth, 14 essentially had 3 guys who could cover that route already & Williams should have immediately dropped back to cut off Hopkins' route as soon as his responsibility to the inside slant passed.

I thought the corners showed bad techniques yesterday. Looks too much like a track meet more so than anything. But give big credits to Hopkins. That guy, despite his drops, has some of the most wicked hands I have seen in a long time. He play physical and run some of the most crispest route I have seen.

Great analysis. 5 stars.
IMO this game was the 5th preseason game.
IDK but sure seems like these slow starts can be attributed to starting the season cold turkey.

Great analysis. 5 stars.
IMO this game was the 5th preseason game.
IDK but sure seems like these slow starts can be attributed to starting the season cold turkey.
I can see that. However, the opponent is also starting cold turkey. I hope our guys gel faster than our opponents. Rams will be a big test but we get Onyamata back and we should have a chip on our shoulder for that game. Looking down the road, I am worried we might be flat against Seattle. But first things first....
And thanks Dan. Much appreciated.

First off, excellent analysis Dan, much appreciated!.

On the first TD, Williams is supposed to pass off the inside slant, correct? I'm looking at the players' positions here, it looks like the LB stepped up to press 14's route, but he's also in a bad position to make that play. I'm thinking that Williams saw that and thought Watson was going to try to squeeze it in there. But in truth, 14 essentially had 3 guys who could cover that route already & Williams should have immediately dropped back to cut off Hopkins' route as soon as his responsibility to the inside slant passed.

It's not the easiest play, I just would prefer to see him finding work rather than floating. 2nd window slants are 2nd window slants for a reason. That means he was initially in position and Watson had to hold onto the ball longer. My biggest complaint about PJ isn't physical ability. It's his lack of spatial awareness (essential for a DB) and situational awareness.

3rd down for us was just freaking brutal last night too. It seemed like we were struggling to find a scheme to match up the entire night.

It was high risk/high reward. We got hits, pressure and sacks, and it paid dividends at times. But when the pressure didn't hit home or we lost lane integrity, some plays busted. The extended drives due to penalties were killers.

My biggest question is what was Marcus Williams doing on the two play drive? I’d love to see the All 22 film on that...

I think he just got high/lowed on it and made a bad decision. It's a post + dig concept. Tight end runs a dig and the WR runs a post behind it. Watson reads the safety.

They're in what looks like cover 3, so M. Williams should open to the post... as you can see in the pics, there was a LB + Cam Jordan sinking to the dig.

As I type this, I realize I may have been a little hard on PJ Williams on that play. If they truly were in cover 3, that TD is on Marcus Williams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom