First Big name Free Agent off the board? (2 Viewers)

Mark Simoneau and we'll be the ones signing him....:covri:

If we were gonna resign him I think we'd of done it already. I don't think hes coming back. And with the show the LB's are putting on today at the combine, I really hope he is done as a Saint.

Briggs wouldn't fit in the 49ers scheme... he's a 43 weakside 'backer, and the niners run a 34 defense.

Justin Smith makes far better sense.

Flozell Adams will go to the Dolphins...

However, there is this mindset out there, which I'd love to see someone actually prove -that the Saints refuse to spend money on free agents, that's why they can't get them.

Can someone please name me one free agent that did not chose to come to the Saints because they didn't want to shell out the money for a contract? Is there one free agent that the Saints openly coveted that they decided not to sign because he asked for too much money?

All too often, you have situations like Zach Thomas, who choose to go to a team because they want to, NOT because a team was "too cheap".

However, people make assumptions based on rumor mongers on the 'net and conclude, "Well, they didn't mention the Saints, so they must not be interested (see Alge Crumpler)... and it's because that damn Benson is too cheap!"

Nevermind the fact that Benson has consistently paid out money to every free agent that has come here, signed off on contract extensions for any "name" player that has asked for one and has never refused to draft a player because he would tie up too much money in one position (i.e. the fear about not drafting Reggie Bush).

"Yeah, but Benson spends the money on the wrong players," one would argue back -citing people like Jason David, Aaron Brooks and even Charles Grant.

Ah yes, the old 20/20 hindsight argument. Again, Benson has paid players like Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn, Mike McKenzie and so forth, so he HAS spent money on good players too.

Nearly every team can cite players who got big paydays and delivered very little in return, so that argument really doesn't have much merit if it is being applied only to the Saints.

There are a whole host of reasons why things haven't worked out consistently for the Saints -and most of them are interrelated. But this whole blanket indictment of the Saints FO when it comes to signing free agents gets old, but like weeds in the springtime, seem to pop up no matter how often you spray weed killer (logic, common sense) on the lawn (message board).

There are a whole host of reasons why things haven't worked out consistently for the Saints -and most of them are interrelated. But this whole blanket indictment of the Saints FO when it comes to signing free agents gets old, but like weeds in the springtime, seem to pop up no matter how often you spray weed killer (logic, common sense) on the lawn (message board).

Its not really fair IMO, and I think you think the same thing, to blame the entire history of the Saints on the current FO. Our history sucks, but the past 8 years we've been at the very least an average franchise, hardly the bottom dwellers of the past. We've made the playoffs twice, won two playoff games, went to the NFCCG, and we are set up with the talent to make another run this year. Alot of teams have it alot worse then we do now. People get impatient and I understand that, but we've come along way since the mid-late 90's.

Briggs wouldn't fit in the 49ers scheme... he's a 43 weakside 'backer, and the niners run a 34 defense.

Justin Smith makes far better sense.

Flozell Adams will go to the Dolphins...

Jason David was a cover two corner and the Saints ran a man cover scheme teams sign players every year that they hope will fit but sometimes don't. You cannot just assume a team will not go after someone because of a scheme they run. <O:p

Jason David was a cover two corner and the Saints ran a man cover scheme teams sign players every year that they hope will fit but sometimes don't. You cannot just assume a team will not go after someone because of a scheme they run. <O:p

True, but David was signed later in free agency and he wasn't considered the top prospect at his position in the initial FA period -Clements was.

What happens is that people wonder what it would be like to pair up two of the top linebackers on the same defense, and draw conclusions.

If the Niners would sign Briggs, it would be essentially a waste of money because it wouldn't improve their defense, unless they were willing to restructure their defense to fit the free agent. Willis would work, but the d-line would have to be restructured as well to accomodate one-gap players.

Given the holes they have on offense and defense, they would be better served to go after receivers and d-line help first, and not waste their money on Briggs because he is a "bright and shiny" FA from a dominant defense.

how can the 49ers crank out that much money every year and we sit back holding our you know whats.....wallets full of cash.

Because the 49ers HAVE to spend money or they get in trouble. Part of the collective bargaining agreement with the players is that the teams are required to spend a certain percentage of their FA money every year. San Fran was under penalty for cheating in FA from back in the 90s and when they came out of that penalty they SUDDENLY had a huge surplus of cap space that they had to spend. So they are not just trying to upgrade their team, they are actually TRYING to spend money to stay above the minimum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom