First business day since game. NFL statement? (1 Viewer)

Needs to happen. I know it may not (perhaps it is even unlikely), but issuing a statement is a requirement to maintain any shred of credibility in my book.

In a trial court, if you’re guilty and all the evidence indicates guilt, you don’t get on the stand and make your case.

tenor.gif

They've already made a statement regarding the fact that they are not going to make a statement.

If the NFL makes a statement, that’ll be admitting that the refs did something wrong.

They will sit on it until the Friday before the Super Bowl and then will have one of their planted reporters ask Roger some open ended question about officiating. He will make some mealy mouthed statement about looking at all options to improve the product on the field and that will be it.

The NFL was done with this game when the ball went through the uprights.

The NFL has invested billions in Los Angeles. They moved 2 teams there. Stadiums are being built. Its a major market. The Rams bought everyone they could buy in the offseason. The NFL is just fine with the result.

You'd think the Gayle Benson statement would at least require a response, but probably not. Maybe they'll fine her for criticizing the officials.

The NFL was done with this game when the ball went through the uprights.

The NFL has invested billions in Los Angeles. They moved 2 teams there. Stadiums are being built. Its a major market. The Rams bought everyone they could buy in the offseason. The NFL is just fine with the result.

This was my biggest concern about playing the Rams. The NFL simply has too much invested in propping Los Angeles up as a NFL market. I'm sure the refs knew that as well, and knew that if they decided to throw the flag it would piss off the higher ups. It was simply easier for them to leave the flag in their pocket.

While I won't discount the possibility, I don't necessarily think it was a grand conspiracy. I simply think that the NFL's culture is so pervasive, that it doesn't even have to be discussed anymore. The refs know which way the wind blows.

I think the thing to look for is whether or not there are any of the refs involved actually lose their jobs over this. If not, then I think the message is clear to all of the refs, on how to officiate, or not to officiate, certain games.

Now I think the most innocent, plausible explanation, is that the NFL has hammered in on the refs not to let games be "decided" by a flag. And that mentality led to an absurd result in our game. That's possible as well. But my gut tells me if the situation was reversed, the refs would have thrown the flag on the Saints D.

The NFL issued a statement 12 hours after the Packers lost to the Seahawks on the "Fail Mary" but that September regular season game obviously meant more to the league office than *checks notes* the NFC Championship.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom