First Captain Marvel trailer released - Dec 3 Trailer Update (1 Viewer)

I thought it was pretty good for the most part. Though Danvers seems a little OP compared to the other Avengers except maybe Thor.

Having seen the movie, I'd have to second this. I mean the stuff she does in the movie I can only see Thor, and maybe Iron Man can do at a slightly lower level. But, I think it's gonna take someone with that kind of op power to beat Thanos. I mean, Thor had him where he wanted and Thanos still managed to wiggle his way out of that one.

I'm really ready for EG after seeing Captain Marvel. Good stuff.

Something I just realized...

In Winter Soldier Fury says something to the effect of "The last time I trusted somebody I got a busted eye."

It was Goose, hahaha.

He also said he'd never tell the real story. So, that line may mean nothing. It may just be that he says that to sound cool, vs saying a damn cat like thing scratched his eye. haha.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. I think my wife and daughter liked it a lot. Can't underestimate the impact of some of these "girl power" movies have on them. Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, heck, not a super hero movie, but my daughter loves Hidden Figures (if only she was better in math).

I don't know where to peg this movie. It's unique. It is a different way of doing an origin story.

I'm actually glad that the first act didn't quite follow the origin story pattern. It's not about someone without powers, or powers removed. However, it is still about someone discovering themselves, just in a different way. The first act is entertaining enough, just takes you on a ride, with no explanation. I don't mind that, but I can see where some would think it's a big ho hum.

But it's an interesting transition from someone with a special forces swagger, bit of rebel, to crack into who she really is. I liked the little "every time I fell, I got up" bit. Kinda reminds me of Batman Begins, but done on her own.

Marvel is all about quips. And I enjoyed the more dry humor banter and Fury with the quips. The 1990's references were well done and not totally over done. I laughed at the Radio Shack reference, Mallrats, and the computer taking about a minute to load up a simple audio file. Kids just don't understand...

The whole Skulls twist was well done to me, even if it probably ruins some great future possibilities. Most of us either know of or are aware of Secret Invasion. So, flipping them as just refugees trying to get away, not terrorists (ok, little nod to current attitudes towards US Immigrants), really wasn't something I expected. I fully expected them to remain the bad guys, with the Kree's also being somewhat bad. I guess I should learn by now that the Kree overall are not to be trusted.

Yes, Captain Marvel is over powered. However, I really don't think the Russo's will let her just walk in and save the day. I forget who said it in here, but it's right, she hasn't earned the emotional payoff. However, I do think she'll be key in a way that I don't think has been discussed, and they show you at the end, but don't explain. It looks like she had the ability to travel at light speed, and give that ability to the Kree craft (that the Skrulls were using). I think this is how she gets the team back together and/or them all to Thanos. She doesn't have to jump. She can just get there. Story wise, I think that's her main contribution, along with being an OP badass. Heck, maybe she does a Superman reverse time bit, where Thor can aim for the head.

It is interesting how many Avengers are tied to the infinity stones.

p.s. the cat (flerken)does steal the show.

p.p.s. when the Skrulls land on the beach and the leader takes the girl's image, and another guy does the same.. I laughed. "I took this one". It's like complaining about having the same Avatar on a MMO.

Saw it yesterday. While it doesn't rise to the level of Black Panther for me, I definitely enjoyed it. Too much to discuss about it without using the spoiler tag, so I will just wait to comment further. I'm glad I didn't wait to see this one though. Well done.

Going to see it today. Pretty excited. I personally don't mind the spoilers, and I read them before the movie. Why would anyone click on a link about a movie and not expect to see spoilers? You don't want it spoiled, don't click on it.

Saw it yesterday. While it doesn't rise to the level of Black Panther for me, I definitely enjoyed it. Too much to discuss about it without using the spoiler tag, so I will just wait to comment further. I'm glad I didn't wait to see this one though. Well done.

Maybe I'm missing it, but what did you like so much about Black Panther? I watched it 2 or 3 times and it was just ok to me.

Maybe I'm missing it, but what did you like so much about Black Panther? I watched it 2 or 3 times and it was just ok to me.

I could go into a lot of detail, but from the characters to the story to the settings to the soundtrack to the CGI, that movie was a win on every level to me. Even though every character wasn't given the same screen time, each character was fleshed out to the point where you got a sense of who they were and where they fit in the narrative. I can't think of a thing I didn't like about the movie.

One's viewing experience is personal though. There is nothing wrong with you not getting the same thing from a movie that I did.

Something I just realized...

In Winter Soldier Fury says something to the effect of "The last time I trusted somebody I got a busted eye."

It was Goose, hahaha.

That line went through my head as soon as the scratch happened and I had a nice hard laugh in the theater.

That’s cool. I hope to see it too. I just meant the “audience” scores that are clearly politically driven
hah i understand. one of the few comics/books i loved (shi, sgt rock, are the others).[/QUOTE]

According to this trailer, it looks like she'll do a lot of standing up slowly.

Wow, this turned out to be the emotional cornerstone of the entire movie! Ha!

Overall, I liked it about as much as a mid-grade MCU movie which is to say very good. Not quite to Iron Man or Winter Soldier, but what is? I was leery of the whole girl power thing because I thought you're really cutting against that by making her a super-charged alien. You can just write your own rules then and it doesn't matter that she's able to beat up men. She's an alien! But then when that emotional climax hit and she had to dig deep into her human strength and past, it worked really well.

I didn't think Larson did a great job with the role. She was a little one-note. I would have liked to have seen the black friend in there better, but I guess so soon on the heels of Black Panther, they needed to whiten up their new feminist toy. I dunno.

Oh, and the 1990s were just such a soulless wasteland of culture. What a dull, awful, nothing time.

Last edited:
Wow, this turned out to be the emotional cornerstone of the entire movie! Ha!

Overall, I liked it about as much as a mid-grade MCU movie which is to say very good. Not quite to Iron Man or Winter Soldier, but what is? I was leery of the whole girl power thing because I thought you're really cutting against that by making her a super-charged alien. You can just write your own rules then and it doesn't matter that she's able to beat up men. She's an alien! But then when that emotional climax hit and she had to dig deep into her human strength and past, it worked really well.

I didn't think Larson did a great job with the role. She was a little one-note. I would have liked to have seen the black friend in there better, but I guess so soon on the heels of Black Panther, they needed to whiten up their new feminist toy. I dunno.

Oh, and the 1990s were just such a soulless wasteland of culture. What a dull, awful, nothing time.

Maybe, I loved the 80s, but the 90s wasn't all that bad imo. Of course personal experience colors a lot of what you think of a particular decade. I mean, technology was rapidly changing the landscape, and I thought the throwback easter eggs added to the movie.

I enjoyed Larson myself. Maybe she wasn't the best fit, but I thought the film struck a good balance between her and her friend. I thought her flashbacks were a tad bit overdone, but that's just me nitpicking. Normally I just sit back and soak these flicks up. The somewhat dry wit isn't for everyone, but it didn't bother me at all.

I actually walked out of the theater pretty happy and really looking forward to EG. Which, I think is what Marvel clearly intended.

Oh, and when they were the Kree, my first thought was "Wait, aren't the Kree the bad guys? Maybe Marvel is tricking us up with some nuance about racism here." Nope, still evil.

Oh, and when they were the Kree, my first thought was "Wait, aren't the Kree the bad guys? Maybe Marvel is tricking us up with some nuance about racism here." Nope, still evil.

Oh yeah, I was thinking exactly that. I can totally see how CM would have bought into the who Kree is "good guys" angle. When it finally dawns on her the the Skrull's true intentions, she completely flips and takes their side. It was an interesting transformation. There were some political slants, but I thought most of it was actually pretty benign and didn't really deter from the story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom