First Captain Marvel trailer released - Dec 3 Trailer Update (1 Viewer)

Finally saw this today and really enjoyed it. Just a fun movie, and I thought Brie Lawson was fantastic.

Character introduction movies are always difficult in my opinion because they're trying to establish character traits and plot, etc into a two hour movie, so somethings come across as rushed, and this movie was no exception. However, Marvel has a working formula, and they followed it for this movie. That keeps it from being a truly great film, IMO, but it falls firmly in the fun movie that I want to see again category.

saw it yesterday, too, and thought it was fun. Narrative/background heavy, but I was cool with it because it's a new character, and one that is instrumental going forward. My wife really liked the montage scene of Larson falling down, repeatedly, and then the shots of her dusting herself off and getting back up. And the Super Saiyan scenes at the end were a lot of fun.

The dynamic between Larson and Jackson worked pretty well, too.

My wife commented that she liked her as a character than she does Black Widow and that she feels she knows more about Marvel, in a single film, than she knows about Widow after several films.

The more I think about her personality in the movie, the more I just see her as Maverick from Top Gun. Just that cockiness. Just less chatty.

So you think they were singing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" when they showed her doing karaoke during her flashback montage?

Ha, no. But, the idea that her fellow female pilot was her best friend and they'd work hard, play hard, etc.

Clearly some "homage's" of sorts.

So you think they were singing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" when they showed her doing karaoke during her flashback montage?
Quoting and referencing Top Gun in all areas of your life is pretty standard for every pilot ever. If you want to make it realistic in a film, you can't go wrong with weaving them throughout the story. I can't tell you how many times I have had a pilot walk in the back door of the office at the airport and say "Talk to me, Goose" or instead of answering a question with a simple "No" they reply "Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full". Bunch damn comedians...

My wife commented that she liked her as a character than she does Black Widow and that she feels she knows more about Marvel, in a single film, than she knows about Widow after several films.
I think the most we got of her backstory was in Age of Ultron, and they've been purposely portraying her as enigmatic and layered. A backstory on Widow would be one of the darker story lines in the MCU so far, I'd love to see it

I think the most we got of her backstory was in Age of Ultron, and they've been purposely portraying her as enigmatic and layered. A backstory on Widow would be one of the darker story lines in the MCU so far, I'd love to see it
She's got a lot of red in her ledger.

I thought it was a good, entertaining movie. I might be wrong, but doesn't this movie deviate from the original comic book story? If so, the comic book purists are likely driving the negative reviews.

I thought it was a good, entertaining movie. I might be wrong, but doesn't this movie deviate from the original comic book story? If so, the comic book purists are likely driving the negative reviews.

Yes, this is not the comic book Carol Danvers. But it isn't the comic book Thor, or Spider-man, or anyone else either. It's the MCU, another part of the Marvel multi-verse. I actually like this version of Carol Danvers better than the comic book one, so for me it's an improvement.

There are probably lots of things driving negative reviews. There's the whole "controversy" of Kevin Feige saying that she's going to be the most powerful character in the MCU to date - or something to that effect. I think it was a dumb comment b/c I think it violates the basic rule of story-telling of show don't tell, plus it was most likely trying to drum up female support, which always causes backlash from some people.

There are also probably people who wanted a more faithful adaptation of the character.

And then there are people who simply didn't like it that much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom