First Captain Marvel trailer released - Dec 3 Trailer Update (2 Viewers)

There are things I associate with grind...but, I'll expound on that some other time.
giphy.gif

In some of the comments to the articles about this movie I'm seeing a lot of "I'm not watching this because I'm tired of politics being forced on me at the movies."

Does anyone know what they're talking about? I don't see anything in the trailers that would trigger me for a political statement. Is there something being pushed behind the scenes or is there subtext that isn't evident from the trailers? Is it as simple as "they're forcing powerful female characters on us as part of their feminist agenda?"

In some of the comments to the articles about this movie I'm seeing a lot of "I'm not watching this because I'm tired of politics being forced on me at the movies."

Does anyone know what they're talking about? I don't see anything in the trailers that would trigger me for a political statement. Is there something being pushed behind the scenes or is there subtext that isn't evident from the trailers? Is it as simple as "they're forcing powerful female characters on us as part of their feminist agenda?"
No idea.

And I'd rather not learn until after I see the movie. No spoilers.

It probably has to do with Brie Larson's comments about "white dudes."

Brie Larson has made pandering comments about "white dudes" and not wanting them to ask her questions/interview her at her press junkets. Current culture war nonsense aside, it was a pretty dumb thing to say.

The reviews started rolling in a couple of days ago. It's been sitting in the mid to low 80's on RT; the reaction seems to be kind of luke-warm, "good not great," but maybe it's just getting harder to impress people? I'm looking forward to seeing it with the family on Saturday.

Last edited:
I definitely think there's some Marvel-fatigue going on here. What are they really going to do that improves on what we've already seen?

I definitely think there's some Marvel-fatigue going on here. What are they really going to do that improves on what we've already seen?

I think Marvel has set the bar really high over the years, so it's tough to top all of that. But, it doesn't have to be a home run every time. I'm down with a fun Marvel flick that paves the way for EndGame. I mean, I really haven't seen what I would call a bad Marvel film. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to action hero flicks.

They should just stop making movies if the goal is to improve on what we've already seen. This movie tells the origin story of a character critical to the final episode of a story that has spanned two decades. If someone doesn't want to see it, fine with me.

Knowing very little about this film and Endgame, I'm pretty sure this character is going to be central to the MCU going forward as well. You don't introduce this character this late in the game and hand it to an actress the caliber of Bree Larson unless that's your intention.

They should just stop making movies if the goal is to improve on what we've already seen.

That's ridiculous. The goal should always to be to improve. The day they're happy to just crank out derivative fan service is the day I'll finally lose interest.

And I'm already a little leery of this 11th-hour omnipotent Mary Sue character coming in and undoing all the emotional investment we have in the other characters laboring for a well-earned victory.

They should just stop making movies if the goal is to improve on what we've already seen. This movie tells the origin story of a character critical to the final episode of a story that has spanned two decades. If someone doesn't want to see it, fine with me.

Knowing very little about this film and Endgame, I'm pretty sure this character is going to be central to the MCU going forward as well. You don't introduce this character this late in the game and hand it to an actress the caliber of Bree Larson unless that's your intention.

Agreed, and she'll have to pick up the baton, as I'm sure EndGame is going to change the landscape going forward as there's a high likelihood we'll see the end for a major player or a few. I'll probably shed a tear, or a few. Don't look forward to that. Yeah, it's just a movie, but it's a story we've been watching since before the first Avengers. And a really fun ride.

I think Marvel has set the bar really high over the years, so it's tough to top all of that. But, it doesn't have to be a home run every time. I'm down with a fun Marvel flick that paves the way for EndGame. I mean, I really haven't seen what I would call a bad Marvel film. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to action hero flicks.

I think that was well said. A lot of movies would kill for a mid-low 80’s rotten tomato score.

I'm seeing it tonight, so I'll at least have some initial thumbs-up/thumbs-down.

That's ridiculous. The goal should always to be to improve. The day they're happy to just crank out derivative fan service is the day I'll finally lose interest.

And I'm already a little leery of this 11th-hour omnipotent Mary Sue character coming in and undoing all the emotional investment we have in the other characters laboring for a well-earned victory.
Ridiculous. What needs to be improved upon? The story needs to end. This origin story needs to be told before it ends so you're not asking who this omnipotent Mary Sue was that showed up and kicked arse at a level needed to defeat a being like Thanos wielding a weapon as powerful as the Infinity Gauntlet.

The goal isn't improve if improvement is needed. Let's not confuse the MCU with low quality cinema that DC has been vomiting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom