First Half Grades (1 Viewer)

It's a great thread. Looking forward to it. Maybe you should do the defense on another thread so it doesn't get chopped up with other posts.

Oh I don't suppose i'll get to many more responses then i've already got. It's awfully long stuff for a message board :mwink: I'm just doing it for the heck of it and i'm kind of tired of it for now. I want to do an offseason preview as well but i'll probably be to lazy for that.

LS, superb evaluation of the team thus far. Excellent and well thought out.

Just one more reason why SaintsReport.com is the best NFL board. I'm so glad that I found this board and I can't say that enough, wish I had joined it years ago. I love the insight that most of the members bring.

I may be late to the party but I've been carrying the balloons a long time.

Great Job LSSpam! Your grades have been consistent and fair. At first I thought that you were a little hard on the O-line, but I had to remind myself that you are doing these grades in relation to the current NFL and not what our expectations were. Because, if you were to grade our O-line against our pre-season expectations, then they would have to get an A. Regardless, the O-line coach should get an A for what he has done to get this group ready. I believe the coaches name is Doug Marrone.

I also agree that the TE's are a group that will be interesting to watch in the 2nd half. This Miller/Campbell tandum seems to be a group that could be on the brink of getting up into that "B" range. Their play last week was exceptional.

I would be interested in hearing your grades on the coaches of the related positions that you are analyzing.

LSS, I always enjoy what you posted. This time you do have a bit of homerism on Brees, but so what? How do I rep you?

Great Job LSSpam! Your grades have been consistent and fair. At first I thought that you were a little hard on the O-line, but I had to remind myself that you are doing these grades in relation to the current NFL and not what our expectations were. Because, if you were to grade our O-line against our pre-season expectations, then they would have to get an A. Regardless, the O-line coach should get an A for what he has done to get this group ready. I believe the coaches name is Doug Marrone.

If I were to grade the O-line based on my own personnal expectations before the season it would be A+++++++++, much higher then any other grade given to any other position. The O-line, in terms of expectations, just blew me and (I feel) most everyone else away. Part of this has been the scheme and Brees, but they're honestly pretty good.

Individually no one is particularly striking (outside of possibly Brown), but as a group they have played just exceptionally well. And you're right, you can trace a lot of that to the coach, Doug Marrone.

Thanks very much, LSSpam. Contributions like this are what may SR.com tower over any other message board I've visited.

Regarding the QB position, it's thanks to Drew Brees and Payton that I'm feeling a strange sensation (I think it's called 'hope' or 'confidence') on 3rd and > 2yds, where I didn't feel it in recent seasons. I am enjoying every bit of this season, b/c you never know when or if the team is going to be this synchronized again.

Also here is what I understand the Pre-draft knocks were on Colston:
- Catches with his body
- Does not get a burst off the line
- Has trouble with LB jams
- Not a good Blocker
- Best suited to convert to TE

Although the draft sites CYAed themselves as usual and listed his size strength and great catching skills as strengths. Furthermore several of the pre-draft scouting sites projected him to go around 200th.

Colston's Pre-Draft rankings:
NFL Draft Countdown - 185
Great Blue - 206
(most of the rest of the sites have already deleted their 2006 mocks, I guess they all had Bush as a Texan)

Also since its worth repeating: Keep going LS great post!!!!!

This isn't what I had heard about Colston. Not saying some pundits didn't make those points, just that those are not the ones that I was aware of. His hands were one of his best attributes as was his blocking (which is why many called for him to convert to TE). Additionally, his productivity was good. From MikeD:

Colston has big, sure hands and he just runs over opposing players who get in his way. He also has excellent eye-hand coordination and can really sky-up into the air for a reception.

As I recall it, the knocks on him were his route running, his ability to come of the line when jammed, and the tendency to coast at times. Typically, the kinds of issues that a raw WR coming out of a small school might have.

And LSSpam,

Great thread! I tend to agree with your comment that Brees was absolutely the best QB for this team. I too, doubt that even Peyton (although the Peyton/Payton name thing might be fun :hihi:) could have done as well. Perfect fit - and that is often much more important than simply skills.

Looking forward to the rest of your analysis. :9:

Last edited:
Excellent job as usual LSS. I always enjoy your stuff. Looking forward to the D's grade's.(When and if, you feel like it)

Wow Brees gets an A++ and recivers get B?

Last I checked, Marques Colston didnt throw 7 interceptions to the other team. Also the recivers covered for Brees poor arm strength the first 6 games, with the big runs after the catch.

Wow Brees gets an A++ and recivers get B?

Last I checked, Marques Colston didnt throw 7 interceptions to the other team. Also the recivers covered for Brees poor arm strength the first 6 games, with the big runs after the catch.

Yeah dawg, good call.

LLSpam - Poster of the Month? Got my vote.

Reggie Bush - Offensive Decoy of the Year? Got my vote.

Drew Brees - Saviour of the Year? Got my vote.

Coltson - Draft steal of the Millienum? Got my vote.

Hey what happened to sepll chceker and our little smilieys?

It's posts like these that make me look like I know something about the game when jawing with my buddies having a few beers at the bar. Hope you don't mind a bit of plagerism while I am having a few.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom