First-Round Broadcast Observations (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I watched the draft tonight on ESPN because I no longer have access to the NFL network. Some quick observations:

1. The first half of the round was absurdly predictable. There was speculation that we would see less group-think because of the limitations on travel and other activity resulting from the virus. We saw the opposite tonight.

2. Are you tired of seeing Goodell? Did he love the camera tonight?

3. Why did the league reduce the amount of time each team has to draft when each pick is seemingly announced three minutes after "the pick is in"?

4. I miss Chris Bergman and Jon Gruden. I can do without Booger and Michael Irvin.

5. Did you see any broadcasters or team officials who needed a haircut?

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Shocked to see only two dogs in all the houses......and props to Mike Zimmer’s family with the Yorkie!!!!

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Why were Booger, Irvin and Warner even there? I felt bad for the draftees as there were almost no interviews. Not sure why Kolber was even there is she was not going to interview the draftees. Too many "analysts" who spent too much time talking.

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It ticked me off how the only NFL game they showed highlights of was our playoff game. And, as usual, when we are on the clock, they cut to commercial.

I also noticed how Goodell did that moronic "SkOl" clap with the Vikings fans, while rushing to get through ours.

Didn't appreciate how the commentator completely trashed our linebacking corps. Depending on what metrics you use, we and the Pats were the only top ten teams in both pass rush and run defense. DL alone can't do that. And I'm someone that was on the draft Queen group. The reasons we need linebackers are because of injuries and the loss of Klein (who wasn't very good anyway), and he didn't even mention any of those things.

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I listened to WWL, I ;iked how they analyzed each pic. Bobby was horrible , but Deuce, Zach and Mike clearly knew their stuff. I also liked the jb they gave SF for trading with Minny instead of us. Appearantly they felt it was overpay.

Reaction score
I watched ABC as I do not have access to ESPN or NFL network. Not bad, they had some player interviews. Some analysis that was pretty decent.

OP
OP

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But for reception issues, I would have listened to WWL for Zach, Deuce and Mike. However, Bobby is hard to listen to.

draftfreak

Dreamer of Dreams
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have watched every draft since 1982. Last night was without a doubt the worst and most boring draft ever. Too many people talking about unimportant things. Too much back and forth between unimportant topics.

I flipped between ABCs and ESPNs coverage. Both sucked, but ABCs was slightly better.

Saint Lattimore

Hall of Shamer
Reaction score
Roger Goodell was awful! He’s so phony and robotic... when he kept talking to the tv screen in his basement, it just made me cringe.
I also hated how he tried to play it like he “likes” getting boo’ed... and then having Strahan among the “boo’ers” was just stupid.

I thought the broadcast was overall terrible. The NFL pretending they care about the people was just so fake, it felt completely disingenuous

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have watched every draft since 1982. Last night was without a doubt the worst and most boring draft ever. Too many people talking about unimportant things. Too much back and forth between unimportant topics.

I flipped between ABCs and ESPNs coverage. Both sucked, but ABCs was slightly better.
Forgot about ABC being a bit different than ESPN and NFLN. Did they have any interiews or good info on Ruiz?

showtimesaints

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Why did Roger have to read from the cue card each pick? It’s pretty much scripted with only the player and school that differs.

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I was looking forward to a diversion from all the virus talk, but all I got was a four hour infomercial to show the world how much the NFL "cares" and that "we're all in this together."

No, we're not. You're not paying my mortgage.

Grumpy Old Manatee

Call me Hugh.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Reports are that the is immunocompromised following his bout with leukemia. Assumptions are that he put it on because he summoned his IT personnel to be nearby when making the pick.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Forgot about ABC being a bit different than ESPN and NFLN. Did they have any interiews or good info on Ruiz?
When we were on the clock it went from about 5-6 minutes and dropped below 2 minutes I'm thinking we are trying to work a trade...then they cut to commericals. Several national and a few local. I bet there were about twelve :30 spots, minimum. When they came back live our pick and the following pick was in. We got a "while you were away the Saints drafted..." Minimal highlights and discussion because they were behind on picks.

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the broadcast was pretty awful, but what can we expect in uncharted territory? And what was that blooperfest about the 2020, I mean 2022, draft?? I get that people are confused about what day it is, but I think most are aware that it's 2020 ( a year that will live in infamy).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom