First Time We Played Vikings in the Wild Card Round! (1 Viewer)

BMOSaint4evR

Fan since '73
Reaction score
Better yet, first time the Saints made the playoffs.

A little history. I fell in love with the Saints as I was living in southern California in the mid 70's, when they jumped up and beat up on the playoff bound Rams when we were still in the west. I moved to and was living in Ponchatoula during the late 80's and was fortunate enough to be able to have season tickets for the Saints in '86 and '87. Made the obligatory 'bus trips' to Atlanta thru both seasons and just fell in love with the character of the team and the city. Jim Mora was in town, heading the system, and things were good.

We went 12-3 in the '87 season, but yet only got the number 3 the wild card seed against the Vikings. Just remember, this was the first time the Saints even made the playoffs and you think the dome is loud now? Brain wasn't the same for days after the trip home, voice was shot, but yet we lost that puppy 44-10. What a night.

Slow forward to the present!

If Drew would have had this defense thru most of his time in NO, Brady would not have as many rings! This defense, thru the entire Dennis Allen helm has been as good as any, and this playoff season, which it is a new season, will show just how much the defense is the better of the three phases of the game for the Saints. Special teams is top notch, if not one of the better anchored by the best kicker and punter in the league. let alone that quick little puppy returning punts and kicks. Offense, well, we've almost always been in the top five for just about any category. But during the playoffs, the defense has to travel ahead of the rest, and I believe this one will.

If there's a point to this thread, it's we've been here before. Some of you might be along for the first time, but if/when we get past the Vikings, I personally can't wait to go into Lambeau and show 'Mr. Rodgers' the best defense in the neighborhood. Cam, Demario, Marshon and whom ever else is ask to step up, will do so, even if some feel the NFL has stacked the deck with an 8:05pm Sunday start time. Those 'big eyes' that Aaron gets when 'tons' of human flesh are attacking him, will be fun to watch. Since I was in Southern California studying the weather, I'll go out on a little twig here and say that we should be looking at upper 20's at game time, a westerly wind in the 8 to 14mph range and a 40% chance for precip.

I digress. We are 13-3. Without Drew's injury, history would be a little different, if nothing else in the Rams game, which would have moved us up into a bye. But we are built to win and it doesn't matter where we play. Look for the Saints to be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl, but I don't expect to have any fingernails left heading in February, and definitely not predicting any 'blow outs' of any team that are still left.

Looking for a hard fought victory, say 6 points against the Vikings. A low scoring victory, with a 65-35 rush/pass against the Packers and we take them by 9. Then a home game against Seattle to win the NFC by 13 and head to a Super Bowl against the Chiefs. Again, the defense will travel and prevail.

As an aside, what other team has three viable quarterbacks, all in their last year of contracts, and aren't concerned about it?

Here's to the New Season!
Brad

A little history. I fell in love with the Saints as I was living in southern California in the mid 70's, when they jumped up and beat up on the playoff bound Rams when we were still in the west. I moved to and was living in Ponchatoula during the late 80's and was fortunate enough to be able to have season tickets for the Saints in '86 and '87. Made the obligatory 'bus trips' to Atlanta thru both seasons and just fell in love with the character of the team and the city. Jim Mora was in town, heading the system, and things were good.

We went 12-3 in the '87 season, but yet only got the number 3 the wild card seed against the Vikings. Just remember, this was the first time the Saints even made the playoffs and you think the dome is loud now? Brain wasn't the same for days after the trip home, voice was shot, but yet we lost that puppy 44-10. What a night.

If Drew would have had this defense thru most of his time in NO, Brady would not have as many rings! This defense, thru the entire Dennis Allen helm has been as good as any, and this playoff season, which it is a new season, will show just how much the defense is the better of the three phases of the game for the Saints. Special teams is top notch, if not one of the better anchored by the best kicker and punter in the league. let alone that quick little puppy returning punts and kicks. Offense, well, we've almost always been in the top five for just about any category. But during the playoffs, the defense has to travel ahead of the rest, and I believe this one will.

If there's a point to this thread, it's we've been here before. Some of you might be along for the first time, but if/when we get past the Vikings, I personally can't wait to go into Lambeau and show 'Mr. Rodgers' the best defense in the neighborhood. Cam, Demario, Marshon and whom ever else is ask to step up, will do so, even if some feel the NFL has stacked the deck with an 8:05pm Sunday start time. Those 'big eyes' that Aaron gets when 'tons' of human flesh are attacking him, will be fun to watch. Since I was in Southern California studying the weather, I'll go out on a little twig here and say that we should be looking at upper 20's at game time, a westerly wind in the 8 to 14mph range and a 40% chance for precip.

I digress. We are 13-3. Without Drew's injury, history would be a little different, if nothing else in the Rams game, which would have moved us up into a bye. But we are built to win and it doesn't matter where we play. Look for the Saints to be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl, but I don't expect to have any fingernails left heading in February, and definitely not predicting any 'blow outs' of any team that are still left.

Looking for a hard fought victory, say 6 points against the Vikings. A low scoring victory, with a 65-35 rush/pass against the Packers and we take them by 9. Then a home game against Seattle to win the NFC by 13 and head to a Super Bowl against the Chiefs. Again, the defense will travel and prevail.

As an aside, what other team has three viable quarterbacks, all in their last year of contracts, and aren't concerned about it?

Brad
I remember that game like it was yesterday! It had a Super Bowl feel leading up to the game. The euphoria was overwhelming across Louisiana.

Damn I am old.......I remember that wild card game in 1987 and Anthony Carter returning a punt for a touchdown.......sick to my stomach just thinking about it

And the Niners were the 1 seed that year also. It was a strike shortened year, and Joe Montana played through scrub games. That made the Niners better than all the other teams during the strike.
Waited in line all night to get tickets to the playoff game. Disappointing loss.

I remember that game like it was yesterday! It had a Super Bowl feel leading up to the game. The euphoria was overwhelming across Louisiana.
Same. Except I was so pe’od with the loss. It was totally unexpected. I think you should call Bobby at the Silver Slippah and asked him what the heck Haopened

I clicked on this thread to say I was not reading the OP.

I was there.

PTSD.

I know if the Saints get to play the Seahawks in the NFCCG, it will be at the MB Superdome (getting way ahead of myself).

But why am I hoping that it's against the 49ers in Santa Clara? Revenge, pure and simple. Not only for this season's loss, but for the loss at Candlestick in the 2011 season playoffs... and for the MANY losses sustained in the old NFC West division. I can't help but feel pretty confident that the Saints would prevail in either game... so let it be against the Niners.

Revenge is always a good motivator in the NFL, and one of the reasons if Seattle gets by the Eagles this weekend, they will take a little pride in putting Frisco out of the playoffs.
Could also happen if the Eagles, which seem to be peaking the last couple of weeks, could take them out.
Just happy to be in the playoffs and the chance to get back to Miami.

I know if the Saints get to play the Seahawks in the NFCCG, it will be at the MB Superdome (getting way ahead of myself).

But why am I hoping that it's against the 49ers in Santa Clara? Revenge, pure and simple. Not only for this season's loss, but for the loss at Candlestick in the 2011 season playoffs... and for the MANY losses sustained in the old NFC West division. I can't help but feel pretty confident that the Saints would prevail in either game... so let it be against the Niners.

I thought we actually had a winning record against the niners in our time in the NFC west.

I was 9. That was a special time because even at that age I knew the burden of being the only team to never have a winning season or make the playoffs. That team also pulled out a lot of come-from-behind wins in the 2nd half that year, even on the road against teams like San Fran, PIT, and CIN. As a kid, my grandparents would pick a game before the season started and buy us tickets. The game I went to in 87 was the season finale vs. Green Bay. I remember being in awe as we drove up because there were people outside asking if anyone was selling tickets!!! You rarely had any difficulty buying tickets in previous seasons.

The wild card game taught me a few things: 1) the brutal finality of postseason football - the idea that you can have a wonderful season but it unless you're the one lucky team that year, it will abruptly end in sadness 2) momentum is largely a fallacy (we'd won 9 in a row to finish the season and were the hottest team in the NFL)...when you have a big winning streak, you're due to lay an egg, no matter how good you are 3) the sting of postseason defeat hurts less when it's still a season where your team has accomplished something new (making the playoffs for the 1st time in 87, winning our first playoff game in 00).

Brad

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom