Fish Frydays (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
(Apologies to the non-locals)

Do you have a favorite fish fry place/church?
How often do you partake?

Bonus question: is there anything better than a good hush puppy?

(Apologies to the non-locals)

Do you have a favorite fish fry place/church?
How often do you partake?

Bonus question: is there anything better than a good hush puppy?
Crabby Shack in madisonville....fantstic.

I tend to do own during lent and have found the yellow package of Louisiana Fish Fry is favorite of my two girls ( lemon added in the corn meal)

We also do St. Anselm, but this year they went to $11 a plate so we will do one or two, but not every Friday.

There isn't much better than fried fish, tartar sauce, piping hot fries and a Barqs root beer.

I'm curious to know for those that fry, do you save your oil?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've taken a liking to NO Hamburger's thin fried catfish... It's not Middendorf's, but you don't have to make the drive...

We ride out to Shockley's in Elm Grove every Friday. It is a family owned and operated place about 20 minutes South of Bossier out in the country. $15 for all you can eat catfish with all the sides is well worth the ride.

Actually I went to Rouse's this past Friday. I got enough fried catfish and mac n cheese to feed two people for 10 bucks. It is not thin fried and is pretty good.

Divine Mercy in Kenner does a pretty good one.

Well... For the past few years...

I been doing Fajita Fridays off a giant wok... with Fried fish on Saturdays.. But what do I know?

I've taken a liking to NO Hamburger's thin fried catfish... It's not Middendorf's, but you don't have to make the drive...
I hadn't been to Midendorf's in a very long time.
I took my wife there about 2 years ago and the thin fried catfish was so thin, that there was hardly any fish at all. Both platters were the same, so it's not a piece or two got overlooked.
True story. Not going back.

In contrast, the catfish at NO seafood is very good.

Actually I went to Rouse's this past Friday. I got enough fried catfish and mac n cheese to feed two people for 10 bucks. It is not thin fried and is pretty good.

Rouse's does have some pretty good fried fish every Friday, but it is hit or miss, as I usually grab some for lunch most Fridays.

Le Café in Breaux Bridge has some good fried fish...Any place is hard to beat the Sacalait and bream I have in the freezer caught in Toledo Bend

A biased plug for my kid's school:

St Benilde in Metairie has theirs on March 10 and March 31. In addition to fish, they also offer shrimp, gumbo, fish or shrimp tacoes, grilled redfish, and fried softshell crab.

I tend to do own during lent and have found the yellow package of Louisiana Fish Fry is favorite of my two girls ( lemon added in the corn meal)

We also do St. Anselm, but this year they went to $11 a plate so we will do one or two, but not every Friday.

There isn't much better than fried fish, tartar sauce, piping hot fries and a Barqs root beer.

gotta go with cocktail sauce tartar sauce is just to yankee for my taste. but I agree with the fried fish , and barqs.

Do NOT save your oil. Firstly, when you fry something that is battered with flour or corn flour, a bit of that flour inevitably falls off into the oil during the cook process. If you cook a few batches of fish, all that flour from the first batch is getting nice and burnt through the second and third batch. Plus it has salt and seasoning in there which changes the physical properties of the oil. On top of that, the flavors of fish itself along with the seasoning is so particular that there's no way it won't affect whatever you cook in that oil later.

My wife likes to tell the story of how her step mother once insisted on making them beignets with oil that had been used to fry fish. I'd consider that child abuse. She's scarred to this day. :hihi:

Do NOT save your oil. Firstly, when you fry something that is battered with flour or corn flour, a bit of that flour inevitably falls off into the oil during the cook process. If you cook a few batches of fish, all that flour from the first batch is getting nice and burnt through the second and third batch. Plus it has salt and seasoning in there which changes the physical properties of the oil. On top of that, the flavors of fish itself along with the seasoning is so particular that there's no way it won't affect whatever you cook in that oil later.

My wife likes to tell the story of how her step mother once insisted on making them beignets with oil that had been used to fry fish. I'd consider that child abuse. She's scarred to this day. :hihi:
Wfie even bought cheese cloth to strain thru..and a giant glass jar. But all that makes perfect sense. (Always fry the fries first , then the fish for this very reason )

I was never really on board as buying a 1/2 gallon of oil isn't going to put me in the poor house. But to appease the in laws I was gonna give it a shot.

Now I can blame Brennan. He said don't do it.

Kids can fill the jar with magic sand lol

gotta go with cocktail sauce tartar sauce is just to yankee for my taste. but I agree with the fried fish , and barqs.
I can only cocktail on shrimp for some reason. And even then is a mix of horseradish and ketchup with more horseradish than ketchup!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom