Fishermen... Another steep price increase coming (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
June 1st, another steep price increase is coming. $17 for fresh water. $15 for salt (add $17 for fresh).

Also, lifetime is going from $300 to $500. The robbery continues.

1653069575993.png

Government, be it federal, state, city, or local, shouldn't have carte blanch power to just jack up regulatory fees whenever they feel like it. They should always be up to a vote by the public, who are supposed to drive the government.

This is theft, pure and simple.

Government, be it federal, state, city, or local, shouldn't have carte blanch power to just jack up regulatory fees whenever they feel like it. They should always be up to a vote by the public, who are supposed to drive the government.

This is theft, pure and simple.
They should at least spell out the reason for the hike. I mean fish and game is important, if tgeir costs have increased... and frankly that would be easy to see given everything is getting more expensive, then yes they may have need to increase prices. It needs to be spelled out clearly though.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Tony Bacala (R-Ascension), brings license fees in Louisiana more in line with other southeastern states and provides much-needed funding to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

Under the legislation, the cost of a basic freshwater fishing license will increase from $9.50 to $17, and a basic saltwater license will increase from $13 to $15.

Included in a basic freshwater license will be privileges for recreational wire nets, pipes/drums, cans/buckets, hoop nets, crawfish traps and slat trips, previously costing between $10 and $20.

another article said some about the LDW does not have a state backed budget and has to rely on oil/gas revenue- which I imagine is fairly tight right now

Imagine my surprise when I could find no actual theft

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Tony Bacala (R-Ascension), brings license fees in Louisiana more in line with other southeastern states and provides much-needed funding to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

Under the legislation, the cost of a basic freshwater fishing license will increase from $9.50 to $17, and a basic saltwater license will increase from $13 to $15.

Included in a basic freshwater license will be privileges for recreational wire nets, pipes/drums, cans/buckets, hoop nets, crawfish traps and slat trips, previously costing between $10 and $20.

another article said some about the LDW does not have a state backed budget and has to rely on oil/gas revenue- which I imagine is fairly tight right now

Imagine my surprise when I could find no actual theft
Considering history and how money is used in Louisiana's government, it's probably more theft than not.

Considering history and how money is used in Louisiana's government, it's probably more theft than not.
I’d copied another part of the article but it didn’t paste for some reason
It said the increase brought the price up closer to those of neighboring states - Tx, Fl still have higher fees, Ms, Al slightly lower

It didn’t say if the other states have state govt financing as well

There’s LOTS to complain about re. Louisiana govt- this issue seems a thin branch

They should at least spell out the reason for the hike. I mean fish and game is important, if tgeir costs have increased... and frankly that would be easy to see given everything is getting more expensive, then yes they may have need to increase prices. It needs to be spelled out clearly though.
It's $9 for fresh and $2 for salt...if that increase causes one to not renew, so be it. Gmr said it...there is a lot to be outraged about currently, but this one is thiiiiin.

$9 more to fish the fresh waters of Louisiana for a year isn't a backbreaker. For anyone. That's less than a $1 a month. Dig the change out of your center console...bam. paid. Lol

I’d copied another part of the article but it didn’t paste for some reason
It said the increase brought the price up closer to those of neighboring states - Tx, Fl still have higher fees, Ms, Al slightly lower

It didn’t say if the other states have state govt financing as well

There’s LOTS to complain about re. Louisiana govt- this issue seems a thin branch
Of course, but, it's not like people are swimming in cash right now. And there are a lot of low income folks who want to fish and don't need this added cost. As another poster stated, it would be good if the state would do better than "well we're increasing prices to match what other states are doing". If the money actually goes to Louisiana wildlife programs, fine. But I suspect only a small portion does.

Anyway, it's not a direct issue for me since I don't live in the state, but I do have family that still live there and fish/hunt.

Saltwater is $25 in Alabama plus $10 for offshore reef species and our bag limits are a fraction of Louisiana's.

June 1st, another steep price increase is coming. $17 for fresh water. $15 for salt (add $17 for fresh).

Also, lifetime is going from $300 to $500. The robbery continues.

1653069575993.png

Cry me a river.

Lifetime hunting and fishing licenses in La have been one of the very best bargains around… I made a horrible mistake not getting these before I left.. as a La non-resident fresh and salt cost me $94/yr.

In Texas, lifetime hunting and fishing are $1000ea or $1800 for a combo…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom