Fishing City Park (1 Viewer)

msu_cannon

Token White Guy
Reaction score
I've been a few times since moving to Nola almost 2 years ago, and I've had no luck at all fishing here. So far I've tried fishing north of the museum (henry thomas dr bridge I think), dreyfous dr, and off the pier on Marconi dr. I've tried a few baits from spinners, artificial worms, and live worms. Any suggestions?

i havent fished city park in a few years, but heres what ive gathered about fishing for bass and perch in new orleans area bayous and canals.

the bass really bite in the late spring and early summer. if the water is over 80 degrees they arent going to be as fiesty. you pretty much have to annoy them with your bait for them to strike, and even then they dont suck it all the way in. ive sight casted a few this way, but lately even that doesnt work. they just bump it and go back to the shade.

the perch bite hard in 80-85 degree water. right now, if you can find a spot that isnt overgrown with grass or hyacinth, you can drop a cork right in and catch a lot.

right now its so hot during the day that your best bet is to fish in the morning or really late in the day (sunset). lately ive only caught bass when it was almost dark, but thats a rarity too. try going in the evening after its rained a lot, and fish anywhere that rain water is draining into the ponds.

the last bass i caught was with a gold weedless spoon. i got a few strikes with a floating frog too, running it over grass patches. but didnt catch any. i think its because the grass was too thick.

Ive been fishing out there when the bass were spawning and most people were sight fishing with jigs......killing em/ One guy i ran into had 4 bass over 8lbs, with the biggest one that went well over 10lbs. He also told me that he does that every spawning season and his biggest was over 13lbs... After seeing that one that went around 10 or 11 i had no reason to doubt him.. HOGS

Are you allowed to toss a cast net at City Park? That would be a good way to catch a bunch of small perch to be used as bait.

you caught some gaspergou? or carp?

gaspergou (freshwater drum)
LBF_Freshwater_Drum.jpg

common carp
carpbig.jpg

also, what did you catch the bass on?

I was told it was a Rio Grande cichild...looks like this

Caught bass on white beetle spin and watermelon red worm

Attachments

• cichild.jpg
    cichild.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 7
if you dont keep the cichlids to eat, throw them on the banks and let them die. they are an invasive species from south Texas. they harass perch and bass, eat their eggs, and spawn several times a year so they take over quickly. fortunately, a good winter with below freezing temperatures will kill them, but if we dont have a good winter they survive in higher numbers. the LDWF says that if you catch them, DO NOT release them back into the water.

the City Park Fishing Rodeo has a category designed to reduce the number of cichlids in the park.

if you dont keep the cichlids to eat, throw them on the banks and let them die. they are an invasive species from south Texas. they harass perch and bass, eat their eggs, and spawn several times a year so they take over quickly. fortunately, a good winter with below freezing temperatures will kill them, but if we dont have a good winter they survive in higher numbers. the LDWF says that if you catch them, DO NOT release them back into the water.

the City Park Fishing Rodeo has a category designed to reduce the number of cichlids in the park.

Please do this
The rio grandes are very aggressive and will take over the lagoons
I hear they taste ok( some compare them to tilapia).

For anyone interested in what honey holes are producing now...we've been doing great around the dog park.

Will I get harrassed for putting a kayak in??

officially, personal boats are not allowed anywhere in city park. they are allowed in Bayou St. John.

they claim its for safety, but its really because there's a rental company that offers paddle boats and kayaks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom