Five reasons to vote for/against McCain (1 Viewer)

Is there any chance that those could be his feelings toward Iraq as well however he's just saying the complete opposite to get elected?

I'm sure it's not but I have wondered if McCain is really as strongly behind this war as he acts like he is.

I don't know what's inside the man's mind. I just know that at one point he saw things, so far as I can see, quite clearly and realistically.

But those were the words of freshman Senator speaking his mind.

You can take two viewpoints:

1) The negative spin: over the next 25 years in the Senate he has become co-opted by the special interests that want us to stay in Iraq indefintely and he carries their water.

2) The positive spin: years in the Senate have seasoned him and given a new perspective on the "indispensibility of American leadership".

You can guess which way I lean.

Last edited:
<object height="355" width="425">Maybe a hundred!
say what?

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3gwqEneBKUs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

FOR:
He's been around - he could unite some of the political divide

AGAINST:
He's been around - he looks tired and not really into. His passion for the grueling position seems absent. It's like he felt obligated to run for it since he wanted it 4 years ago.

Like being at your 10 year high-school reunion, trying to get yourself worked up to sleep with the once hot cheerleader who's enjoyed too many years of KFC at 2am, got a wrinkle-bat taken to her face and half-filled water balloons sewed to her triceps.

Great American Hero
Ability to Compromise
Paid His Dues
Understands the Way Washington Works
Will Get Along Fine With Congress And Probably Get Things Done

Too Old
Temper is highly suspect
Likely to follow at least some of the failed Bush/Cheney Policies
Will Control The Button
Republican

TPS

1. He will not raise taxes, the last thing we should be doing in a weakened economy.

2. He will reduce government spending, and thereby prevent the state from controlling even more of American life.

3. He will ensure that America wins in Iraq..

4. He will appoint conservatives to the Supreme Court and to federal benches.

5. He will develop nuclear power, which environmentalist (read leftist) oppose.

Shown to much willingness to compromise core conservative values

Actually, he doesn't have core conservative values and that's one of the things I like about him before I disliked the fact that he flipflopped and adopted them. I'm hoping he's just lying to get elected.

>>4. He will appoint conservatives to the Supreme Court and to federal benches.

The USSC and Federal Benches are dripping with "conservatives." The man keeps getting the edge at the people's [tm] expense. That's not the America I know and love or the path we should be on. We are supposed to be about freeing up Americans, not curtailing their freedoms to special interests, one of the hallmarks of 'conservatism'. :17:

TPS

>> :shakehead:

History has shown that most of the Republican presidents post-Ike have been any combination of greedy, beady and ruinous to our economy and particularly long-term economic interests. While I think the idea of a Republican Administration is downright stupid, almost always is, I think McCain could actually break ranks and show some fiscal discipline from his seat at the Oval Office. One would hope so anyway. :shrug:

TPS

>>4. He will appoint conservatives to the Supreme Court and to federal benches.

The USSC and Federal Benches are dripping with "conservatives." The man keeps getting the edge at the people's [tm] expense. That's not the America I know and love or the path we should be on. We are supposed to be about freeing up Americans, not curtailing their freedoms to special interests, one of the hallmarks of 'conservatism'. :17:

TPS

Free them up to do what? With the way things are going in certain parts of the country, I suspect it won't be long until folks are trying to sell me on polygamy.

BTW: Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito compose the Court's conservative wing. Justices Stevens, Souter, Ginsburg and Breyer are generally thought of as the Court's liberal wing.

1. He will not raise taxes, the last thing we should be doing in a weakened economy.

2. He will reduce government spending, and thereby prevent the state from controlling even more of American life.

3. He will ensure that America wins in Iraq..

So in other words, you'd prefer American taxpayers' dollars go towards bettering the lives of Iraqi citizens rather than American citizens?

>>Free them up to do what? With the way things are going in certain parts of the country, I suspect it won't be long until folks are trying to sell me on polygamy.

What difference does it make to you? The three constitutional guarantees you have are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If somebody wants to be a polygamist, what's it hurting you? :shrug: I don't care what any consenting adults do with their private parts. That's their business. And American life should be all about those types of freedoms. Do what you want to do. Follow your morals, religion or mind. Be free. Be happy. And while I'm not sure if that's liberalism or conservatism (probably has been both at different times), that's what our court should be fighting for. And after decades of conservative appointments to the proverbial bench, I'm not feeling that. I'm not feeling particularly free. I'm not believing that elements of my country that are in place to guarantee my freedom are doing a particularly good job of it. :nono:

>>BTW: Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito compose the Court's conservative wing. Justices Stevens, Souter, Ginsburg and Breyer are generally thought of as the Court's liberal wing.

You forgot justices Kennedy who's "middle of the court" brought the "center" somewhat farther to the right after the retirement of former Justice O'Connor. And then there's Justice Roberts. ;)

>>So in other words, you'd prefer American taxpayers' dollars go towards bettering the lives of Iraqi citizens rather than American citizens?

Apparently so. After 600 billion dollars, you'd think those suckers would be pretty happy. Meanwhile our bridges collapse, our education flounders and our freedoms erode. Viva someone else. :17:

TPS

What difference does it make to you? The three constitutional guarantees you have are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If somebody wants to be a polygamist, what's it hurting you? :

TPS

Hey, you're the first one that actually made the case for legalizing polygamy. Well, that I've seen. What about beastiality? Or incest? Live and let live!

>>Hey, you're the first one that actually made the case for legalizing polygamy. Well, that I've seen. What about bestiality? Or incest? Live and let live!

I was assuming, when I said "consenting adults" that you would understand. Apparently not. :shrug:

TPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom