Five reasons to vote for/against Obama (1 Viewer)

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is a request of Obama supporters to supply five reasons Americans should vote for your candidate. I will do this for each of the three remaining major party candidates. If you can't bring yourself to write reasons to vote for a candidate, maybe you can give your reasons NOT to vote for a candidate. If this works well, I'd like to revisit the threads after the nominees are official for the final two.

is the only candidate currently running with a plan to fix NOLA...

is the only candidate currently running with a plan to fix NOLA...

Keep in mind, they all have plans during election season.

He's talking out of both sides of his mouth when he talks about tax cuts and reduced spending but at the same time says he wants to stay in Iraq, confront Russia and China and rebuild New Orleans.

I'm pretty sure of what will fall to the bottom of the priority list.

This is a request of Obama supporters to supply five reasons Americans should vote for your candidate. I will do this for each of the three remaining major party candidates. If you can't bring yourself to write reasons to vote for a candidate, maybe you can give your reasons NOT to vote for a candidate. If this works well, I'd like to revisit the threads after the nominees are official for the final two.

Reasons NOT to vote for McCain:

1) Iraq: He is exactly the same as George Bush and holds the same distorted conception of the Middle East that stands in the way of progress in the region. He buys into essentially the same nonconservative nation building babble. No change from the status quo.

2) Economy: He is as weak on economics as George W. Bush was on foreign affairs coming into office. We are entering what might be the most challenging period in our economic history since the Great Depression and we can not afford a neophyte without lacking the ability to use good policy judgement.

3) Foreign Policy: McCain represents the same bluster filled, knee jerk interventionism that has afflicted us for 50 years and got us into the current mess. No change from the status quo, more of the same.

4) Temperament: He is a hot head who loses his cool and can act impetuously.

5) Age: He would be 70 years old entering office, oldest entering president in history.

1) Iraq: He is exactly the same as George Bush and holds the same distorted conception of the Middle East that stands in the way of progress in the region. He buys into essentially the same nonconservative nation building babble. No change from the status quo.

2) Economy: He is as weak on economics as George W. Bush was on foreign affairs coming into office. We are entering what might be the most challenging period in our economic history since the Great Depression and we can not afford a neophyte without lacking the ability to use good policy judgement.

3) Foreign Policy: McCain represents the same bluster filled, knee jerk interventionism that has afflicted us for 50 years and got us into the current mess. No change from the status quo, more of the same.

5) Age: He would be 70 years old entering office, oldest entering president in history.

Maybe you'll want to wait until Richard starts a thread about McCain.... this one is supposed to be about Obama.

So we just need a General who has a degree in Economics, Psychology, and is a young even tempered person.:9:

I think all have their own issues. McCain i think wants a legacy (EGO) but has walked across the aisle a few times which is good.

Obama looks Smug and lost in politics.

I think Hillary thinks she is entitled to the job and is the worst of all three.

A reason to vote for Obama for me would be his gift of rhetoric and it's ability to lead this nation. Out of the 3 candidates he is most able to change the dynamic in this country to a less partisan one, and to inspire Americans to do something great.

It's potential more than anything else.

Maybe you'll want to wait until Richard starts a thread about McCain.... this one is supposed to be about Obama.

Got it. My bad. Got dyslexic sitting here watching Tivo'd McCain on Hardball...confused the two threads.

In that regard, Obama:

1) Inexperienced: No real accomplishments beyond local politics. All style and no substance.

2) Iraq: Is an appeaser who will cut and run.

3) Economy: Same deal as McCain. Has no track record on dealing with the macroeconomy at a crucial time and the ountry can't afford for him to learn on the job.

4) Health Care: Will initiate an expensive socialization of health care that we can not afford.

5) Budget: Will raise taxes and spending.

So we just need a General who has a degree in Economics, Psychology, and is a young even tempered person.:9:

Seems to be what people expect if you listen to the media.

There is a lot that goes into being "Presidential" apparently, and it can be a fluid concept.

Oh well, not exactly what I was hoping for. I had hoped that people who genuinely LIKED a candidate would give some good reasons they believe people should vote FOR that person. While blackadder took the other road offered in giving his reasons to vote against a candidate, I assumed there were people willing to push their candidate and offer some substantive reasons why. There have been numerous threads in which posters made statements of support for all three of these candidates, yet none of the three threads I started have more than one person that can list five things they believe are positive reasons to vote for that person. :idunno: Must be American Idol. :D

Oh well, not exactly what I was hoping for. I had hoped that people who genuinely LIKED a candidate would give some good reasons they believe people should vote FOR that person. While blackadder took the other road offered in giving his reasons to vote against a candidate, I assumed there were people willing to push their candidate and offer some substantive reasons why. There have been numerous threads in which posters made statements of support for all three of these candidates, yet none of the three threads I started have more than one person that can list five things they believe are positive reasons to vote for that person. :idunno: Must be American Idol. :D

I think it's because, in general, people see their choice as the least bad choice. I know that's how I feel about McCain. It's hard to draw up a list based on that perspective. I honestly only have one reason to vote for McCain:

1. He's not as far away from me policy wise as Clinton or Obama.

So you'll see a lot more anti lists than pro lists because in the end most of us are supporting our candidate because the negative list is shorter than the other two. I'm sure you will get a pro list novel from Sabine on the Hillary thread. :hihi:

For:
1. Energy Policy - Obama has the best plan to reduce the environmental and economic impacts of the disastrous energy [non]policies of the last four administrations.

2. Health Care - He has a reasonable plan to reduce costs and improve coverage for everyone. I'd prefer socialized medicine but we aren't ready for it yet.

3. Iraq War/Foreign Policy - Opposed the war from the start and more likely to end the misadventure. He supports a less interventionist foreign policy and isn't afraid of diplomacy.

4. Civil Liberties/Rights - Not perfect, but better than McCain. Constitutional lawyer so we know he's read the whole thing at least.

5. Ethics Reform - Most committed to reducing government secrecy, reducing the influence of special interests, and other ethics reforms.

I agree with UTJ that Obama has the most potential to lead the nation in an effective and unifying manner.

Got it. My bad. Got dyslexic sitting here watching Tivo'd McCain on Hardball...confused the two threads.

In that regard, Obama:

1) Inexperienced: No real accomplishments beyond local politics. All style and no substance.

2) Iraq: Is an appeaser who will cut and run.

3) Economy: Same deal as McCain. Has no track record on dealing with the macroeconomy at a crucial time and the ountry can't afford for him to learn on the job.

4) Health Care: Will initiate an expensive socialization of health care that we can not afford.

5) Budget: Will raise taxes and spending.

I am just curious? The only taxes I have heard about are to raise the taxes past 100K of social security so the big boys will also pay into social security, not just low pay people? I mean if somebody makes 250K they only pay into it until 100K then that is it. What other taxes exactly are you referring to?:idunno:
AP

I am just curious? The only taxes I have heard about are to raise the taxes past 100K of social security so the big boys will also pay into social security, not just low pay people? I mean if somebody makes 250K they only pay into it until 100K then that is it. What other taxes exactly are you referring to?:idunno:
AP

I'm just being "fair and balanced."

I would imagine Obama would let the Bush tax cuts expire, which is fine with me so long as we are committed to spending the money. I'd rather we dig into our pockets than continue to borrow from the Chinese.

I'd vote for Obama over McCain.

But you know the Republican campaign rhetoric will touch on "tax and spend."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom