FiveThirtyEight: CGM Haters in Denial (1 Viewer)

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When it comes to NFL fans who like to hate on Michael Thomas, denial isn't just a river in Egypt, according to FiveThirtyEight's new metric on how good NFL receivers are at creating separation:

When we account for the most impactful context that affects a receiver’s most important job — getting open — Thomas is routinely above average in creating that separation. And targets to him are among the most valuable plays in football across all depths. There isn’t much evidence to support the idea that Mike Thomas is anything but an elite football talent.

Whodats will especially appreciate that CGM crushes Julio Jones on midrange targets:

Thomas did more on midrange targets than Jones
Receiving stats on intermediate passes for Michael Thomas and Julio Jones, including separation over expected (SOE) and expected points added (EPA) per play

PLAYERSEASONTARGETSAVG. DEPTH OF TARGETSOE/PLAYEPA/PLAY
Michael Thomas20197110.60.080.72
Michael Thomas20185410.10.250.59
Michael Thomas2017489.40.010.39
Julio Jones20195810.8-0.310.42
Julio Jones2018659.8-0.070.36
Julio Jones20174410.30.030.29
Regular-season passes of between 5 and 15 air yards.

SOURCE: NFL NEXT GEN STATS, ESPN STATS & INFORMATION GROUP

Julio is not the same cat he was several years ago. Yes he is older but also, I'm not sold that he takes care of himself half as good as CGM. Asking to be taken out of plays in games that I remember. The best in any sport just don’t do that. Half of them you would have to break their leg to get them to come out.

I know Michael Thomas doesn't have Julio's speed, but he is clearly a superior competitor and a better technician than Julio and has set himself apart. I always thought Julio was overrated. CGM is starting to get his due, but I still don't think most NFL fans who aren't Whodats understand just how good he is.

I know Michael Thomas doesn't have Julio's speed, but he is clearly a superior competitor and a better technician than Julio and has set himself apart. I always thought Julio was overrated. CGM is starting to get his due, but I still don't think most NFL fans who aren't Whodats understand just how good he is.
from what ive seen from opposing fans. CGM only runs "slants"

I think he's in that Michael Irvin category in terms of determination, strength, and junkyard dog. He's not the speedy tall guy but his attitude and performance are critical for success.

I think he's in that Michael Irvin category in terms of determination, strength, and junkyard dog. He's not the speedy tall guy but his attitude and performance are critical for success.
Better I think, Thomas doesn't need to push off for seperation.

Mike should take the criticism like a badge of honor. His stats are so incredible that sure, the fans of other teams will try to diminish them. Numbers don't lie, people lie.

Better I think, Thomas doesn't need to push off for seperation.
That's high praise but I'm not sure if there's a difference because Mike does use his hands to abuse DBs thoroughly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom