Fix or no fix the nfl is just incompetent and it's hurting their product (1 Viewer)

Igordão

All-Pro
Reaction score
And I wonder how long the viewers will take it.

If they fix games, they are terrible at it, anyone would come up with better ways to fix games and still put a good product for the viewers. Right now games are boring, with a lot of flags and blatant mistakes by the refs.

If they are not fixing games but just refuse to get better rules and better refs, they really don't care about their product.

Either way, they are just incompetent at what they do.

Sean Payton: We can't control poor officiating or an awful call like that.

He's absolutely right.

Three games in a row we've been screwed by awful officiating with calls that were potentially game changing. One, that there's no doubt about, keeping us from playing in a Super Bowl we earned. I'm just sick of it at this point.

I don’t buy into the rigged-games theories, and certainly not systemically as the result of some centralized edict from the home office. I do think the human element combined with other considerations has clearly compromised officiating, however. Even to the extent that it’s certainly believable that officials can find it hard to remain unbiased, without being guided by some deeper ulterior motive.

Officiating can be greatly improved but it’s going to take a commitment by the league in the way of a sustained investment to improve the product. So far, there’s been little more than resistance shown to that by the NFL, and based on the increasingly feeble justification that they don’t want the game to suffer more disruptions and resulting in potentially longer games. Bull. Coaches, players, and fans want competitively fair contests, above all else. Time and disruptions are trade offs I think most will gladly make if it means a reduction in poorly called games with needlessly controversial outcomes. Make changes, sell more ads, and lets get moving on this already.

I don't think it's a conspiracy from the NFL office, but after watching the first two games I believe the refs have decided that the Saints need to be taught a lesson and are intentionally calling the games one sided.

I don’t buy into the rigged-games theories, and certainly not systemically as the result of some centralized edict from the home office. I do think the human element combined with other considerations has clearly compromised officiating, however. Even to the extent that it’s certainly believable that officials can find it hard to remain unbiased, without being guided by some deeper ulterior motive.

Officiating can be greatly improved but it’s going to take a commitment by the league in the way of a sustained investment to improve the product. So far, there’s been little more than resistance shown to that by the NFL, and based on the increasingly feeble justification that they don’t want the game to suffer more disruptions and resulting in potentially longer games. Bull. Coaches, players, and fans want competitively fair contests, above all else. Time and disruptions are trade offs I think most will gladly make if it means a reduction in poorly called games with needlessly controversial outcomes. Make changes, sell more ads, and lets get moving on this already.

Yeah, the lack of commitment to improve the game is what really pisses me off. It's like they see the game is suffering but they don't really care because they are earning money anyway.

I don't think it's fixed. I think it's worse. With that famous no-call game, refs are even less anonymous than ever. I don't think they're intentionally doing it, but they're not going to look at themselves either. I think they're crushing under the pressure of having such a spotlight on them. So it's only going to get worse because now it's not just us. Bad calls changed more than one game yesterday.

I don't think it's fixed. I think it's worse. With that famous no-call game, refs are even less anonymous than ever. I think they're crushing under the pressure of having such a spotlight on them. So it's only going to get worse because now it's not just us. Bad calls changed more than one game yesterday.

This makes sense.

As I stated 8 months ago, the poor officiating as the the result of incompetence instead of direct manipulation is the worse result.

The NFL would have to try to make the officials this bad and there is only one reason to try this hard to have such severe incompetence.

And we are seeing the result of this brilliant incompetence strategy. The games get played. The results get recorded. Money is made by the billions. Those who think the games are "rigged" are pushed aside as crackpot, bandwagon fans.

How could we ever tell if the NFL decided to "rig" a single game when the officiating is terrible as a whole?

Fixed or not fixed, it's becoming unwatchable. If it's not a Saints game, I don't have the patience to watch it. Red Zone and Fantasy Football are unfortunately the future for a low attention span community. . . .And I don't know about the others on this board, but I just turn the volume down and hope for the games end. Being part of a multi million dollar fanbase and getting ripped by a multi billion dollar business that would love to just see Pats/Rams every year is painful. And without Drew, I fear we fall back down to the bottom feeders of the NFL.

I do believe the NFC Championship game was an intentional effort to get LA into the Super Bowl as a way to boost there marketability with the new stadium coming and the historically low ratings associated with LA’s past teams. The last two games I’m not sure if it is intentional or just really horrible officiating.

Ive said this before and I’ll repeat myself again, there is NO REASON the NFL cannot install the same officiating system as the NCAA, NONE! The NCAA has 130 teams so that’s at least 60 games played every week, most on Saturday and they don’t blow near the amount of critical calls as the NFL and game time and play do not suffer at all. Even if it did, a few extra minutes in a game isn’t going to hurt the game more than a horrible call/no call.

The NFL needs to hire a complete full time officiating crew, it’s that easy. Right now only 24 of the how ever many officials are full time. That means these guys have other jobs, and other things going on in their lives that can effect their minds, integrity, and overall judgement. Make officials full time, make them train during the off season so that they KNOW THE RULES by heart, know when and when not to blow the whistle, what a catch is, etc! For an organization that makes billions every year this is the solution. It will also allow the NFL to discipline the officials for poor calls and judgements just like the players. We all know how the NFL likes to discipline players!

I would be in favor of eliminating refs completely and going with straight robots. Give me 99.9% accuracy via bots rather than 67% accuracy through the refs, and if your complaint is “bots would slow down the game” then what your saying is you don’t care about fixing the problem.

As I stated 8 months ago, the poor officiating as the the result of incompetence instead of direct manipulation is the worse result.

The NFL would have to try to make the officials this bad and there is only one reason to try this hard to have such severe incompetence.

And we are seeing the result of this brilliant incompetence strategy. The games get played. The results get recorded. Money is made by the billions. Those who think the games are "rigged" are pushed aside as crackpot, bandwagon fans.

How could we ever tell if the NFL decided to "rig" a single game when the officiating is terrible as a whole?

When Al Riveron issued his statement yesterday on our call, the one GLARING item he left out is " how are they SUPPOSED to call it on the field" part.

The head of NFL Officiating left that out his statement.

Ambiguity. Plausible deniability. Its plain as day. In the end, their answer is and always will be "humans make mistakes".

Meanwhile, the train keeps chuggin along.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom