Fixing the Defense and what the Saints might have in mind (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Don't panic yet guys.

Currently the Saints are in need of about two corners, one linebacker, one three tech DT.

CB: Well I think if we can sign Randal Gay, pick up one stop gap cb (Law, Dyson, James are Glenn) then draft a cb in the first or second, or even third we will be fine here.

LB: Vilma gets us moving in the right direction, but we need a good WLB. I would probably wait till the draft for this one and draft someone like Mayo, Connor, Henderson in the 2nd or trade down and get Rivers in the first. Other mid round backers Gooden, Guyton, and Bell. Free Agency pickings are slim but Boss Baily, Kendral Bell, and Landon Johnson still exist.

DT: Thomas and Clancy are our two run stuffers. While Young and Lake aren't great they are decent. Lets not forget we have Harris from the U that alot of people were high on during the draft when he came out. Picking up a Dorsey or Ellis here would be great. Also trading down in the first and landing Balmer isn't a bad idea either. The most important thing is the front seven, if your getting a great pass rush then you can survive with average talent in the secondary.

Now if we trade picks for Shockey then you can panic.

Don't panic yet guys.

Currently the Saints are in need of about two corners, one linebacker, one three tech DT.

CB: Well I think if we can sign Randal Gay, pick up one stop gap cb (Law, Dyson, James are Glenn) then draft a cb in the first or second, or even third we will be fine here.

LB: Vilma gets us moving in the right direction, but we need a good WLB. I would probably wait till the draft for this one and draft someone like Mayo, Connor, Henderson in the 2nd or trade down and get Rivers in the first. Other mid round backers Gooden, Guyton, and Bell. Free Agency pickings are slim but Boss Baily, Kendral Bell, and Landon Johnson still exist.

DT: Thomas and Clancy are our two run stuffers. While Young and Lake aren't great they are decent. Lets not forget we have Harris from the U that alot of people were high on during the draft when he came out. Picking up a Dorsey or Ellis here would be great. Also trading down in the first and landing Balmer isn't a bad idea either. The most important thing is the front seven, if your getting a great pass rush then you can survive with average talent in the secondary.

Now if we trade picks for Shockey then you can panic.

Seems like we're starting to hype up marginal free agents again, like we did last year (David, KK, Simmons). This year it's names like Boss Bailey, Landon Johnson, and Orien Harris. Seriously, there's a reason these guys are still available, and we find that out every year. The draft is this team's only hope to save this offseason. I'm hoping by dumb luck they stumble onto at least two starters in the draft like '06.

Everybody heres wants big name corners BUT just think about this....... we now have a MLB in Vilma plus Fujita on the outside now if we draft Keith Rivers in the 1st we will no longer have to bring in our safties for run support, which = cover 2 where basically any corner can be plugged in, not to mention we have jason david a good cover 2 corner and if we sign Gay our def would be drastically better.

the only problem we might run into is that i think we would still be missing one DT if we trade our second for Shockey. unless if pick one up later in the draft.

I would stay far away from Balmer anywhere in the first. If we can't get Ellis or Dorsey, then DO NOT take a DT in round one. I remember a year we traded two first round picks to move up to 6th and grab Dewayne Robertson, only to have the Jets leapfrog us becuase we made the trade too damn soon and wound up with Jonathen Sullivan. The point is, do not settle. If who we want is gone, draft BPA. Clark Haggans may be an option at the will also. There are still older vets at DT; I am not sure they make us much better, but you can never have too many in rotation.

Everybody heres wants big name corners BUT just think about this....... we now have a MLB in Vilma plus Fujita on the outside now if we draft Keith Rivers in the 1st we will no longer have to bring in our safties for run support, which = cover 2 where basically any corner can be plugged in, not to mention we have jason david a good cover 2 corner and if we sign Gay our def would be drastically better.

the only problem we might run into is that i think we would still be missing one DT if we trade our second for Shockey. unless if pick one up later in the draft.

How often does this team do what we think (or hope) they will do in the draft? Everyone is just assuming that this team won't go offense in the first round, when I can guarantee that's what they want everyone to think.

People looking to the draft to solve the team's problems are falling in that same slippery trap that people that wanted big name free agents fell into.

How often does this team do what we think (or hope) they will do in the draft? Everyone is just assuming that this team won't go offense in the first round, when I can guarantee that's what they want everyone to think.

People looking to the draft to solve the team's problems are falling in that same slippery trap that people that wanted big name free agents fell into.

So you think its a good idea atleast right? lol.... i know they usually never do what we wish or hope for, but that cant or shouldnt stop us from wishing, i mean they got to come through atleast once... lol

I want Landon Johnson more than I wanted Lance Briggs. He was a bright spot on a bad defense, I think he'd excel playing alongside Jonathan Vilma.

Stop gap players are on every team. Theres just not enough money to sign up every big name player. Now yeah we have loads of cap room and damn it I really wanted Briggs but its only the start of free agency. You build through the draft period...Case in point the Redskins sign big name players every year and come out with no super bowl. The Giants had probably the best draft last year and won the super bowl. They had a big pass rush with average corners. I mean Webster was hated in New York up until the playoffs where he turned it on. And why? Because they have a pass rush.

And hey if we don't get the right players in the draft then you will see me jumping from a rooftop while lighting myself fire and blowing my brains out with a 9mm.

I have been on the Landon Johnson bandwagon for weeks now.....

So you think its a good idea atleast right? lol.... i know they usually never do what we wish or hope for, but that cant or shouldnt stop us from wishing, i mean they got to come through atleast once... lol

They did come through, with the '06 draft. It's just frustrating to look at free agency, because everyone has access to the same players. If you want the best player out there, you can go get him if you really truly want him. This is the best way to plug in crucial positions that we need to address.

In the draft, you don't have that luxury, you have to look at players that you possibly want get drafted by other teams, while all you can do is hope and pray that the guy you want makes it through. And even then you don't know what you're getting, especially after the first round. It just seems like a half-baked way to fill crucial spots in a team that wants to contend right away. If we were a team that was one player away, then we would be in great shape. But the Saints have too many holes to have such a lax attitude about FA.

Sign: Bobby McCray, and find Willie Evans.

1st Rd - DRC or Leodis
Trade 2nd rounder for Lito... if not take Mayo (OLB - Tenn)
Strengths: Keeps head up and locates the ball quickly. Reaches top speed quickly, aggressive and makes plays in the backfield. Moves well laterally and generally does a nice job of scraping down the line of scrimmage. Has above-average range, plays with a good motor and makes plays in pursuit. Has above above-average upper body strength, flashes an effective punch and can prevent blockers from getting into his frame. Plays with a mean streak and can stack fullbacks up in the hole. Wraps up upon contact and is a sound open field tackler that can deliver the big hit. Gets good depth, shows good awareness and covers a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Changes directions well and shows adequate burst coming out of cuts when asked to match up in man coverage. Has adequate ball skills and flashes the ability to make plays in coverage. Plays with a good motor and has the potential to develop into a valuable special teams' contributor. Does an adequate job of anticipating the snap, has above-average closing speed and can get to the quarterback when asked to blitz.

3rd Rd - If we were able to get Lito, take Wesley Woddard Jr (OLB - Kentucky)

Athletic and fast WILL LB prospect with upside if he can add bulk and strength. He possesses outstanding speed and closing burst. Sideline-to-sideline run defender. Closes quickly when pursuing and will make a lot of plays from behind. Takes solid angles in pursuit and shows more initial power at the point of attack as a tackler than measurables would indicate. Quick feet and gets a deep drop in zone coverage. Hips are smooth and he is very fluid in his turns. Shows the athleticism and acceleration to match up one-on-one versus most NFL RB's. Extremely productive at the highest collegiate level despite marginal supporting cast up front. A natural playmaker; he knows how to jar the ball loose as a tackler and he always seems to be in on big plays. He displays good ball skills and his ability to force fumbles is not a fluke. Also seems to play his best in big-game setting. He's versatile with experience at OLB, ILB and DS, as well as on special teams.

Then out Defense would look like:

DE: Grant, McCray
DT: Young, Lake, Boykin
DT: Hollis, Klancy
DE: Smith, Willie Evans
WOLB: Mayo (or Woodard), Shanle - in need of new starter
MLB: Vilma, Simeneau, Mitchell
SOLB: Fujita, Evans
CB: DRC (or McElvin), Young
CB: David (or lito), Craft, Fred T
FS: Bullock :(, Kaes
SS: Roman, Reis, Gleason

Somebody please give me an alternative to bullocks..

1st Rd - DRC or Leodis

WOLB: Woodard, Shanle

I'm actually still one of the few that likes Bullocks. I mean at Nebraska he was a ballhawk and he just hasn't been that here. I think with a good front seven he would excel. Also I think we need a playmaking DT so in round one we need either Dorsey or Ellis.

1st Rd - DRC or Leodis

WOLB: Mayo (or Woodard), Shanle - in need of new starter

If we go into the season with Hollis Thomas and Brian Young as our startrers at DT, we're in trouble.

I would stay far away from Balmer anywhere in the first. If we can't get Ellis or Dorsey, then DO NOT take a DT in round one. I remember a year we traded two first round picks to move up to 6th and grab Dewayne Robertson, only to have the Jets leapfrog us becuase we made the trade too damn soon and wound up with Jonathen Sullivan. The point is, do not settle. If who we want is gone, draft BPA. Clark Haggans may be an option at the will also. There are still older vets at DT; I am not sure they make us much better, but you can never have too many in rotation.

What makes you think they are settling though? the Saints know Dorsey and Ellis will probably be gone by the 10th pick, so who's next?...Balmer...so dont you think the Saints did there homework on the guy since he is the next best available at the position? I dont understand why people use Sullivan as a reason not to draft a DT...so if Reggie doesnt work out are we never gonna draft a runningback in the 1st round again? I like most of us on this board dont know who we are gonna take at #10 all we know is who we are rumored to be looking at...so its time we wrap our minds around the players we are rumored to be looking at and first think if they have a place on this team...and they all do (except an oline with the #10 pick) Balmer, Rivers, Talib, DRC, Jenkins, McKelvin all have a place on this team and will / should be welcomed additions....GM's and Coaches draft with intent not with fear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom