Fixing the defense (1 Viewer)

Innotech

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I think one major problem is that players in the nfl see the Saints defense as an opportunity to collect a paycheck while giving no effort. It doesnt seem to get them cut or even benched and it has created a lackadaisical attitude thats toxic. The only way to fix it is to shock the starters by benching them for backups and to create accountability for their incompetence.
Riding with a cheap sub par defense made of nobodies might actually make us better because they have only pride to play for.

MSUSousaphone

Owning the CONCACAF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
...........did you watch an old game by accident?

The defense actually looked ok, this game. They didn't make any highlight reel plays but they held their own.....even when the offense was floundering, at times. They gave up 20 points on the road missing a whole list of starters.

They didn't play so great that they are about to be anointed the next great unit but they certainly didn't do so bad we need threads calling them out. Not even close.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's not the problem. We lack aggressive/physical defenders. Our defense is too soft. However, I would give anything to see what our complete starting defense can do, while on the field together. Could be really good, but we have yet to see

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
Problem as I see it is we don't fly to the ball. Vonn Bell did. Vaccaro can, but he doesn't really have great athleticism.

What this defense needs is pure explosiveness. That guy that flies to the ball and when he hits the ball carrier, they go backwards thanks to Newton's Laws of Motion and Force equaling Mass times Acceleration. Need guys with muscle that can move fast.

Can't sell out and draft a guy just because he ran a 4.3 or anything. But it needs to come into play. And sometimes, those guys won't always be angels off the field.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Isn't this Dennis Allen's fault if this is in fact the case? If he can't motivate, what is he doing as our defensive coordinator? Collecting a paycheck with the rest of them?

MSUSousaphone

Owning the CONCACAF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's also pretty funny that we're talking about "benching the starters" to shake things up but in reality injuries benched those guys a long time ago.

I mean.

Really. How many of our preseason starters have actually started every game? Cam Jordan and Byrd? Even Robertson was supposed to be a backup.

I feel like I've gone through an online wormhole to a defensive thread from two years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think one major problem is that players in the nfl see the Saints defense as an opportunity to collect a paycheck while giving no effort. It doesnt seem to get them cut or even benched and it has created a lackadaisical attitude thats toxic. The only way to fix it is to shock the starters by benching them for backups and to create accountability for their incompetence.

Riding with a cheap sub par defense made of nobodies might actually make us better because they have only pride to play for.

Shock the starters by benching them for backups that are already the starters. I mean come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
It's the system. It gives no margin of error for the offense. It's been systemic across coordinators excluding 2009. I don't know what the answer is. It looks like Paytons finger prints are all over this one too....

OP

Innotech

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Shock the starters by benching them for backups that are already the starters. I mean come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ones left, should be benched. Its not like they are making plays anyway. Make them have a chip on their sjoulder. A hunger. Make them WANT to perform.

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Hard to replace starters with back ups when we can barely field a complete team on sundays! It's actually a good idea and I agree that players need motivation and competition, but right now all our back ups are already starting.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
Reaction score
It's also pretty funny that we're talking about "benching the starters" to shake things up but in reality injuries benched those guys a long time ago.

I mean.

Really. How many of our preseason starters have actually started every game? Cam Jordan and Byrd? Even Robertson was supposed to be a backup.

I feel like I've gone through an online wormhole to a defensive thread from two years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Every week...same stuff.

We have no one on D left. Our corners were 2 udfas....then we went out and signed 2 journeymen off the street...one gets injured one still starting. We have Stupar at LB because Ellerbe can't get healthy.

And yet some want to bench these guys for who is BEHIND them? Lolol

I dare one of them to name the "next man up".

7 of 11 starters on defense missed multiple games thru 6 weeks now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
Every week...same stuff.

We have no one on D left. Our corners were 2 udfas....then we went out and signed 2 journeymen off the street...one gets injured one still starting. We have Stupar at LB because Ellerbe can't get healthy.

And yet some want to bench these guys for who is BEHIND them? Lolol

I dare one of them to name the "next man up".

7 of 11 starters on defense missed multiple games thru 6 weeks now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
For some folk, it's not about logic. It's about catharsis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)