Fixing the defense (1 Viewer)

The defense was excellent in the 1st half overall except for PJ. The DL was getting pressure, we were shutting the run down, but PJ was just getting beat on basic patterns.

He was singlehandedly keeping the Falcons in the game. You have to think that's fixable, even if it means signing someone off the street like we did Moore a few years ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that is why PJ lost his job to Crawley last season in the first place?

Allen needs to blitz more and they need to be better designed. Less single high as well.

I thought we played it right through most of the 1st half, but then they broke lose on us deep right before halftime. At the end of the game, it was the blitzes that saved us.

Agreed. Gotta go old school Greg Williams a lil more.

The defense stepped up on that last drive and I'm grateful for it. The front seven played very well, I think, though the 2nd cb continues to be a problem. Not sure how to fix that unless we play three safeties, dedicating one to helping on that side. That means taking a lb off of the field, though.

Props to AJ Klein for a very good game. He's taken a lot of flak here and deserves the praise.

Make it back-to-back good games from AJ. He’s really stepped it up!

You cannot let these WR's with great speed run wide open from the line of scrimmage. Our CB's start 10 yards off the line and still get behind the receiver. We gotta interrupt their route. Gotta bump them and give the DL an extra second on their rush. They still might catch the pass, but they won't be 40 yards down field already.

You cannot let these WR's with great speed run wide open from the line of scrimmage. Our CB's start 10 yards off the line and still get behind the receiver. We gotta interrupt their route. Gotta bump them and give the DL an extra second on their rush. They still might catch the pass, but they won't be 40 yards down field already.

We tried press and we got beat downfield for a big play. Really no fixing it. Our division teams really honed in what we were doing schematic wise. I was critical in changing what works. And weve been doing alot of the same from last year. I do think the non divisional teams we play the defense will look better as these teams just the normal 3 to 4 days to game plan. Guys on tje back end need to play better and i think we got mix coverages better. I really don't have a good answer how to fix it.

That PI could have been called on either Williams

And if Crawley would have just turned around, he's in position to intercept the ball. At some point, the defensive backs are going to have to be able to trust each other.

The front seven is fine. Been saying that since week 1. They just need to stop all this rotating with Davenport. It's too obvious now. Play the man.

Second, its time to question Aaron Glenn. The technique our corners display is just plain pathetic. The holding downfield. The lack of jamming at the LOS. The confusion.

What Crawley did on that deep ball was just plain awful.

The defensive backfield coaching is looking quite shady right now.

We need a # 2 cb and put DP in the game and take oakfor out. He seems slower now

We tried press and we got beat downfield for a big play. Really no fixing it. Our division teams really honed in what we were doing schematic wise. I was critical in changing what works. And weve been doing alot of the same from last year. I do think the non divisional teams we play the defense will look better as these teams just the normal 3 to 4 days to game plan. Guys on tje back end need to play better and i think we got mix coverages better. I really don't have a good answer how to fix it.

But even in press we don't bump/disrupt the WR releasing from the LOS. At least not that I could see.

The long Ridl3
But even in press we don't bump/disrupt the WR releasing from the LOS. At least not that I could see.
The long Ridley TD was press coverage with williams. He missed the Jam Ridley clean release. Williams has no recovery speed. TD!! No saftey help. We just need more cover 2 and cover 3 concepts i think! And we do those. Like i said i dont know. And i really think the coaches dont know either

The defense was excellent in the 1st half overall except for PJ. The DL was getting pressure, we were shutting the run down, but PJ was just getting beat on basic patterns.

He was singlehandedly keeping the Falcons in the game. You have to think that's fixable, even if it means signing someone off the street like we did Moore a few years ago.
they should try Maulet atleast? or is he just a slot corner

Whether the issue is the player or the play calling, I would pass the heck out of the Saints and make sure to have 4 to 5 route runners in each play and spread them out. The Saints do not have quality pass defenders and the league is quick to adjust. You know opposing OC's are loving the opportunity to play the Saints. Looks too easy. DB's are in constant trail mode. They look slow and out of position. I don't know what changes can be made at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom