Fl Saint’s wife is right about grilled cheese (1 Viewer)

Who is she, is she an expert.

how does she feel about using two different cheeses, one hard and one melty? Does she approve the use of just a touch of Dijon mustard to bring out the cheesiness? Does she begin by pre toasting the bread halfway and then buttering both the inside and outside? I bet she does all these things.

Who is she, is she an expert.

how does she feel about using two different cheeses, one hard and one melty? Does she approve the use of just a touch of Dijon mustard to bring out the cheesiness? Does she begin by pre toasting the bread halfway and then buttering both the inside and outside? I bet she does all these things.

Okay Zack. I'm always having to correct you.

Just butter the outside.

And mustard? Even Dijon?

Stop the madness.

You should use a spatula to encourage the union of the top and bottom slices of bread - however not all the way to ‘smushed ‘ but make sure the slices adhere
While Lady FL_Saint agreed with you, I cannot agree. The cheese melts just fine without subjecting the sandwich to such barbarous treatment.
I am a proponent of a light toast before buttering one side. I also like to mix cheeses, but I haven’t really done much experimenting past the basics.

Okay Zack. I'm always having to correct you.

Just butter the outside.

And mustard? Even Dijon?

Stop the madness.

It would bring you back to life Undead. I'm talking just a smidge. If you don't tell someone its on there they will just say "why does this taste like the best cheddar I have ever had" I swear its one of those things you just have to try to understand.

It would bring you back to life Undead. I'm talking just a smidge. If you don't tell someone its on there they will just say "why does this taste like the best cheddar I have ever had" I swear its one of those things you just have to try to understand.

The cheddar is correct so maybe I'll give it a try.

But I hate being wrong so even if I like it, I'll hate it.

the classic:
bunny bread, kraft singles, and butter.

perfected:
seeded rye or wheat, cheddar (honestly, a lot of cheeses work experiment), a hint of mustard (my wife introduced me to this), butter both 'outside' bread, a tad of evoo in the pam, and magnifico!

or just put cheese on bread and grill. i'm not a grilled cheese snob by any means.

oh and room temperature your cheese and butter first. saves yourself some follies.

the classic:

perfected:
seeded rye or wheat, cheddar (honestly, a lot of cheeses work experiment), a hint of mustard (my wife introduced me to this), butter both 'outside' bread, a tad of evoo in the pam, and magnifico!

or just put cheese on bread and grill. i'm not a grilled cheese snob by any means.
oh and i highly recommend adding something like a brie or laughing cow to the cheddar. life changing

the classic:

perfected:

good options. I have most recently switched to nature’s own (I think that’s the brand)crafted bread. It’s thicker almost Texas toast size. The brioche is amazing for grilled cheese. Thicker holds up to a bit more pressing. But pre toasting, to firm it up slightly (not browning) works well tomake sure it holds up to the butter. It’s kind of delicate bread.

Extra sharp cheddar and a decent mozzarella with Dave's killer bread is the unchallenged winner of the grilled cheese war. Use LoL spreadable butter w/ canola. Best eaten with Takis Guacamole chips and a glass of sweet tea.

Aye @zeetes coleman's mustard powder is straight dope inside of grilled cheeses made with a yellow cheese. You married well to have such a cultured and knowledgeable partner.

good options. I have most recently switched to nature’s own (I think that’s the brand)crafted bread. It’s thicker almost Texas toast size. The brioche is amazing for grilled cheese. Thicker holds up to a bit more pressing. But pre toasting, to firm it up slightly (not browning) works well tomake sure it holds up to the butter. It’s kind of delicate bread.
good tip (lol)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom