Flaring - How Big Oil Could Help on Climate Change in Iraq (1 Viewer)

1 - Notice the big red mark that is Kuwait? We've been there since the first Gulf War. Why hasn't our superior technology shown any effect there?

2 - To piggy-back on staphory...there is a Chevron pipeline that goes through the Anniston/Oxford area. Yes...they flare off gas there too.
I live in the western part of the Pachuta Creek Oil field. I can go outside right now and see the light from a flare two miles away. I can't actually see the flare itself because of the trees.
Looks cool on a foggy night though.

There is a new cross country pipeline going here now. Those pipes they are putting in the ground are quite large. I never realized they were that big.

Not necessarily.

Frankly I could really care less, it's really none of our business. American oil companies I think are going in there precisely because they know they won't have to follow environmental/labor laws they have to follow elsewhere, which I don't think is necessarily good for their environment. Yes, by all accounts one problem is solved, but with very little other regulations regarding the basic operation of the oil industry I wouldn't argue for a second that the environment or the Iraqis will be better off. No laws regarding storage of waste? What about shipping? Cleaning up spills? Industrial accidents? No, I'm not sure if Iraq's ecosystem is better off here. One of the reasons oil companies are so insistent about safety and pay attention to environmental protection is that they're forced to--and with good reason because they made lots of messes before real environmental regulations.

But it's none of our business. I'm sure we'll make it our business once the environmentalists get in the act. :shrug:

I agree. There's usually two basic reasons that companies that own facilities such as these (BP, Valero, Citgo, whatever) would contract out someone to conduct a major revamp to their facilities:

- To increase production = increased profit = yes, we're enthused, we're gonna get even richer

- To comply with the latest safety and/or environmental regulations = costs money up front, but get to retain permits and permission to operate = slightly less enthused

Point being, it's not likely that whatever companies own the facilities in Iraq will implement the most efficient, up-to-date, environmentally sound technologies in their processes unless there are consequences to face from higher-ups or unless the added efficiency saves them a substantial amount of money or adds a new revenue stream.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom