Fletcher Mackel: Saints' 2016 season is over, Sean Payton told us so (2 Viewers)

I really expected so much more from this reporter, two losses and the season is over?? because the coach said the first 4 games were important? really Mackel? I use to really enjoy reading his stuff

"I think it will be important for this team to play well early on. That early start, those first four weeks before the bye, will be important. That's an obvious statement, yet (it's true), certainly for this team," Payton answered.

Nowhere in the answer to the question does Sean say the season is over if we lose. He just mentions us needing to play well (win or lose).

But the common fan can do the math 0-2= no playoffs.

Enjoy a season where we grow a lot, because if you can't enjoy that, next season when we do amazing you will be asking yourself, "How did we get to this point?"
This. This. This.

Of course this team needed a quick start if we had hopes of playoffs. It isn't over but it would be very difficult. That said, I'm just not sure what people were expecting. I think the team is actually exceeding the expectations I had, especially considering the injuries on defense.

Next year we are going to have one of those seasons with a 7 game win streak in the middle. This season not so much. But who knows? Is it unbelievable that this young team could get on a roll?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This. This. This.

Of course this team needed a quick start if we had hopes of playoffs. It isn't over but it would be very difficult. That said, I'm just not sure what people were expecting. I think the team is actually exceeding the expectations I had, especially considering the injuries on defense.

Next year we are going to have one of those seasons with a 7 game win streak in the middle. This season not so much. But who knows? Is it unbelievable that this young team could get on a roll?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Throw in the injuries and it will be a miracle if we get to 8-8. We are like our basketball counterparts the Pelicans. Our defense is a mash unit, and our offense still has a few pieces that need fixing. We have the right coach (there is no doubt), we just don't have all the pieces.

Like the Pels having AD, we have Brees, and in Fletcher's article he says as long as we have Brees and Sean we always have a chance, next year should be no different.

This year 8-8, next year Super Bowl.

If we are 2-2 going into the bye week everything is still in front of us . no to mention weren't we 1-3 to start the 2000 season ? we went 10-6 and won our first playoff game ever .. I know the numbers say we are already out of the post season but that's a joke considering we are 1 game out of the division .

Plenty of reason to continue hoping as a Saints fan. We have went to the playoffs 10 times in our franchise history. 6 of those trips began with a 2-2 record or worse.

Are you sure you weren't just reading SR, Fletcher? :hihi:

Talk about completely twisting Payton's words and mis-characterizing what he said. That was more than reaching, that was completed BS.

My gift to Fletcher....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/FletcherWDSU">@FletcherWDSU</a> I expected more from you on your Birthday. Quite the reach don&#39;t you think? Click Bait article IMO....OH...Happy Birthday!</p>&mdash; DFW Who Dats (@DallasWhoDats) <a href="https://twitter.com/DallasWhoDats/status/777926410333585408">September 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This reminds me of Ron Sawboda "useless game" theory, comments back in the days.

The 2001 Patriots started 0-2 and won the Super Bowl. There's that.

The 0-2 = 12% chance thing probably lacks a little context.

That stat goes back to a time when there was much less parity in the league. We've had multiple 0-2 teams make the playoffs just in the last two years alone.

With that said, the Saints are a different case IMO. For whatever reason, we just can't dig ourselves out of holes the way other teams do.

if they go 2-2 in to the bye, they are in decent shape, I don't think anyone expected 4-0, or even 3-1

This team won't win more than 5 games. The fact that we aren't good, and have you seen the schedule? 5 games at BEST but 3-4 are more likely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom