Flights shut down into LaGuardia. (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Ratings
****, that's everything going smoothly in NY Airspace. You'd cry if I told you what happens when it gets ****ed up.
I'm sure I would. My uncle is a bit of a weather nerd and also aviation nerd who just told me the same thing when we were chatting about what's going on in the news this morning.

To the point you were talking about earlier with 20% of ATC's being eligible for retirement currently, are they up for mandatory retirement because they're 56 years old, or just retirement in general? Just curious if you happen to know. I just learned that their mandatory retirement age is 56 while it's 57 in the FBI for the same reason - being that the job is so stressful that they don't want people burning out on the job and having a catastrophe happen because of it. If that 20%, or even just half of it, are being forced to retire, they better re-open the school and get some full classes because we're going to be in trouble regardless of this shutdown if they're being forced to retire with no decent supply of replacements.

Tapxe

Coalescing the vapors of human existence
Ratings
Just checked and this flight shutdown is not being reported at all on Foxnews. So obviously, this is just more fake news...

Oh and Roger Stone is a good guy who'll never roll on Trump...

MLU

National Signing Day Legend
Ratings
I'm sure I would. My uncle is a bit of a weather nerd and also aviation nerd who just told me the same thing when we were chatting about what's going on in the news this morning.

To the point you were talking about earlier with 20% of ATC's being eligible for retirement currently, are they up for mandatory retirement because they're 56 years old, or just retirement in general? Just curious if you happen to know. I just learned that their mandatory retirement age is 56 while it's 57 in the FBI for the same reason - being that the job is so stressful that they don't want people burning out on the job and having a catastrophe happen because of it. If that 20%, or even just half of it, are being forced to retire, they better re-open the school and get some full classes because we're going to be in trouble regardless of this shutdown if they're being forced to retire with no decent supply of replacements.
If you are 50 with 20 or more years of service or any age with 25 or more years as a controller, you can retire without a reduction in your basic annuity. They can also transfer to a job not covered by the mandatory separation age limit. Another benefit if that there is no age penalty for retiring early and you receive a supplement like social security + COLA.

I try to shove every kid who doesn't know what to do their their life into ATC or Flight Dispatch. There are not many good jobs left out there for people whop do not have a college diploma.

Moderator #24

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
And some idiot was on fox saying that because of this shutdown we are finding out that non-essential people really aren’t essential.
It’s the downright ignorance that gets me.
That sounds like the administration line. I think there is a faction of this administration that was hoping the shutdown would last so long that those people just wouldn’t come back. It sounds like Steve Bannon, tbh, but I know he’s gone.

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Also keep in mind that TSA is not just security screeners. They also have to review and sign off on every aviation construction project in the US. So there will be delays on a lot of construction. (I'm sure this is the case in many other sectors as well, where the authorities just aren't there to do their job and move long-term projects along)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Ratings
Also keep in mind that TSA is not just security screeners. They also have to review and sign off on every aviation construction project in the US. So there will be delays on a lot of construction. (I'm sure this is the case in many other sectors as well, where the authorities just aren't there to do their job and move long-term projects along)
At least The New Orleans Intl Airport already got their renovations and additions authorized before this shutdown. I think I heard a few weeks ago that our airport is one of the most rapidly growing in the country. Something like this could've slowed that down if we hadn't already begun (and completed some) of the renovations and additions which are making the airport much more attractive.

MLU

National Signing Day Legend
Ratings
If they persist with this wall, we're going to be right back here again with another shutdown. I would expect more than LGA to be affected next time and a whole lot sooner than 34 days into the shutdown. The next one could see permanent leaves of staff and a new normal in ATC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom