Flint Michigan (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
Michiganders Demand Governor

To poison all the children in an historic American city is no small feat. Even international terrorist organizations haven’t figured out yet how to do something on a magnitude like this.

But you did. Your staff and others knew that the water in the Flint River was poison — but you decided that taking over the city and “cutting costs” to “balance the budget” was more important than the people’s health (not to mention their democratic rights to elect their own leaders). So you cut off the clean, fresh glacial lake water of Lake Huron that the citizens of Flint (including myself) had been drinking for decades and, instead, made them drink water from the industrial cesspool we call the Flint River — a body of “water” where toxins from a dozen General Motors and DuPont factories have been dumped for over a hundred years. And then you decided to put a chemical in this water to “clean” it — which only ended up stripping the lead off of Flint’s aging water pipes, placing that lead in the water and sending it straight into people’s taps.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
The EPA should not get a pass from this - they were publicly telling Flint that the water did not contain high amounts of lead until November.

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The EPA should not get a pass from this - they were publicly telling Flint that the water did not contain high amounts of lead until November.
Plenty of blame to go around. That said, the view that states will categorically do a better job administering governmental programs is questionable at best. I live in a state where three legislative leaders from both parties have spent time in jail or are about to--plus rank and file legislators have been convicted of crimes. No doubt that some of these officials should spend some time in the slammer. Fines are not enough.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
that's the media for you
It's laziness and sensationalism.

The actions of the Flint Water "treatment" facility ended up poisoning the residents water supply. But the water supply drawn was not poison.

It might be semantics.

In any case, simply put the lack of corrosion controls was a concern by the EPA and it did in fact turn into an issue, as they warned it could, because it is leaching the lead out of the lead lines and other old piping. (which again, we should stop using lead solder!!!)

OP
Reaction score
They really shouldn't call the water source poisoned. It wasn't.
Maybe poisonous would be a better word? I mean, it is causing lead poisoning so obviously that word is in the ball park.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe poisonous would be a better word? I mean, it is causing lead poisoning so obviously that word is in the ball park.
The problem isn't the river water. It's the fact they aren't treating the river water properly.

OP
Reaction score
Amid denials, state workers in Flint got clean water

Snyder... you got some splaining to do.

In January of 2015, when state officials were telling worried Flint residents their water was safe to drink, they also were arranging for coolers of purified water in Flint's State Office Building so employees wouldn't have to drink from the taps, according to state government e-mails released Thursday by the liberal group Progress Michigan.

A Jan. 7, 2015, notice from the state Department of Technology, Management and Budget, which oversees state office buildings, references a notice about a violation of drinking water standards that had recently been sent out by the City of Flint.

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
You are 2 for 2 Expatriate.

I forgive you though as my link did not convert to the title. :hug:

OP
Reaction score
I'm from the department of redundancy department.

OP
Reaction score
word is this might be indictable
anyone have a sense of yes/or not with gov keeping his job?
It's definitely suspicious. If there was enough concern to supply water in govt buildings so you couldn't be held liable for problems with the water in the bldg, then wouldn't that then signal that you had enough knowledge of the water problem to believe it was of significant health risk?

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is third-world stuff. The kind of crap you hear about in some obscure Russian Kazakh town, and you're equally appalled.

So Flint, MI, with the cooperation of Michigan state government decided to poison its own citizens and then to try to cover it up? Flint, you'd better put on your Spring, Summer, and Fall suits, it's gonna be a long stretch in the courts.

The arrogance of these clowns is disgusting. I hope they get sued, indicted, and jailed.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I hope the people of Michigan find a way to throw this guy and everyone else involved in prison. The whole notion of a government for the people by the people for the good of the people is getting horribly out of whack here.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I am failing to se how the bottled eater thing implicates the governor in any way.

The city had issued a boil notice back in late 2014 and then issued a warning about a chemical in the water that could make people sick. It was then that this state building stocked bottled water.
This had nothing to do with the lead. The Michigan Department of Health (or whatever) and the EPA both were publicly saying he water was safe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom