Flint Michigan (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
Michiganders Demand Governor

To poison all the children in an historic American city is no small feat. Even international terrorist organizations haven’t figured out yet how to do something on a magnitude like this.

But you did. Your staff and others knew that the water in the Flint River was poison — but you decided that taking over the city and “cutting costs” to “balance the budget” was more important than the people’s health (not to mention their democratic rights to elect their own leaders). So you cut off the clean, fresh glacial lake water of Lake Huron that the citizens of Flint (including myself) had been drinking for decades and, instead, made them drink water from the industrial cesspool we call the Flint River — a body of “water” where toxins from a dozen General Motors and DuPont factories have been dumped for over a hundred years. And then you decided to put a chemical in this water to “clean” it — which only ended up stripping the lead off of Flint’s aging water pipes, placing that lead in the water and sending it straight into people’s taps.

OP
Reaction score
10 Things They Won

1. While the Children in Flint Were Given Poisoned Water to Drink, General Motors Was Given a Special Hookup to the Clean Water.
  2. For Just $100 a Day, This Crisis Could’ve Been Prevented.
  3. There’s More Than the Lead in Flint’s Water.
  4. People’s Homes in Flint Are Now Worth Nothing Because They Cant Be Sold.
  5. While They Were Being Poisoned, They Were Also Being Bombed.
  6. The Wife of the Governor’s Chief of Staff Is a Spokeswoman for Nestle, Michigan’s Largest Owner of Private Water Reserves.
  7. In Michigan, from Flint water, to Crime and Murder, to GM Ignition Switches, It’s a Culture of Death.
  8. Don’t Call It “Detroit Water” — It’s the Largest Source of Fresh Drinking Water in the World.
  9. ALL the Children Have Been Exposed, As Have All the Adults
  10. This Was Done, Like So Many Things These Days, So the Rich Could Get a Big Tax Break.
Some seem a bit sensationalist, but the rest should serve as a caution.

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Crime in Flint, Michigan (MI): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers, crime map

Flint No. 1, Detroit second among nation's most violent cities | MLive.com

Maybe we should look a bit more closely in how small government makes mistakes to see where the breakdown is on a global level. Environment is a key to human survival.

We can bog down for years in trying to prove or discredit the above implied innuendo but we cannot forget the past in motion which puts us at present to make choices for the future.

OP
Reaction score
<div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/9rBKo_SkuU53Ecjo2EQK5w/169705386159" data-did="5f4a38f23a4ac77294e7aa915e79eea95a52b8e6"><a href="http://sixpenceee.com/post/169705386159/sixpenceee-a-nail-after-one-month-of-exposure">http://sixpenceee.com/post/169705386159/sixpenceee-a-nail-after-one-month-of-exposure</a></div> <script async src="https://assets.tumblr.com/post.js"></script>

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — Former Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, his health director and other ex-officials have been told they’re being charged after a new investigation of the Flint water scandal, which devastated the majority Black city with lead-contaminated water and was blamed for a deadly outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease, The Associated Press has learned.......

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Being an expat of Michigan (granted, the other side of the state), people want to focus on the switching of the water supply, which did lead to a slightly lower pH, thus leached lead out of old pipes as the issue.

To me, the issue is that all these houses have old lead pipes.

That infrastructure needs to be updated, and I'm not sure how much of it is from the city vs homeowners.

I would be on shaky ground trying to argue that my home water was killing me, when I drank out of a mug made of babbit metal (lead alloy).

The water source isn't the issue (even though it was the catalyst), but the lead pipes are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_water_crisis
Lead piping systems were the norm throughout the country, 50-100 years ago. It is not just in Flynt, Michigan, either. If you want the safest material to transport drinking water, use glass lined pipe. That is the reality, but is not feasible. Let’s not even begin to think about all of the lead based paint used back in the same time frame and still to this day is in inner city homes. You ever wondered, how many thousands of inner city rental properties exist, that have MANY lead based coats of paint, under the existing finished paint? New Orleans being one of the highest rental populations, as far as percentage goes, I can only imagine.

Nothing is perfect. Those people have been dealt a difficult hand. Not sure what the answer is at this point. But it is horrible to think about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom