flopping in the NFL (1 Viewer)

That was an awful call, and the flag didn't come until after he grabbed his head. Absolutely ridiculous. The first thing I thought of was a flop also.
Another guy, I think a DB, flopped earlier in the game when a Saints player emerged from the pile and made contact. No one saw it or flagged it though.

I don't have a huge problem with that call. Whether the player was injured or not is irrelevant. The rule prohibits a player from "forcibly hitting the defenseless player's head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player's neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him."

CJGJ hit the 49er player in the head with his shoulder. It sucks, but the rule clearly defines that contact as prohibited,.
Yeah the call on him before for the illegal contact was bogus though, especially in light of what they were letting the players get away with all game before that drive. The refs were bad on that drive but the Saints had plenty of game management errors that cost them equally.

Yep.
That dude is a punk and yes I’d say it to his face. Play ticked me off. Dude should be on a futbol pitch.

A millionaire punk Humperdoo. If you could get his goat and have him hit you, you might get a good payday there! But you wouldn't want to get permanently disabled or anything. It's a fine line.

A millionaire punk Humperdoo. If you could get his goat and have him hit you, you might get a good payday there! But you wouldn't want to get permanently disabled or anything. It's a fine line.

I’d love to. And before the sickness, bet I could take him. I was 245 in great shape and not a pushover until....

Now that I am already permanently disabled I wouldn’t mind taking the punch. And i wouldn’t tap either Biloxi, that guy is a tapper. ?

I’ve been saying for years that “flopping” should be subject to an u sportsmanlike penalty. Determining who is and who isn’t “faking it” could get hairy, but it needs to happen.

I also hate the offsetting unsportsmanlike penalties. Those fights need to go to video review and the penalty yardage needs to be applied to whoever instigates the skirmish. Give everyone else the ejection warning, but punish the team that starts a fight. There is basically no repercussion for starting a brawl if you can draw offsetting penalties.

Meh I thought it was pretty even this time. We actually got some drive extending calls in crunch time. Pretty ticky-tacky ones too.

This isn't true. The one drive extending call we got was 100 percent legit. Don't be fooled. They call crap on the other teams to give the illusion that they are being fair.

That call was HUGE. Wasn't nothing even about that call. I was ok with the other calls,but that call gave them a touchdown.

I don't have a huge problem with that call. Whether the player was injured or not is irrelevant. The rule prohibits a player from "forcibly hitting the defenseless player's head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player's neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him."

CJGJ hit the 49er player in the head with his shoulder. It sucks, but the rule clearly defines that contact as prohibited,.

That call was bs. I don't care anyway you try to twist it. I've seen many plays like that not called. Cj was going for the tackle and the flopper was going for the ball. There was nothing he could do to stop it. That was a soft call. The part you're leaving out is the flag came out late. If the ref called it as soon as it happened you'd have a point. He waited to the guy faked and grabbed his head to call anything. That's clear cut cheating no matter how you slice it.

Last edited:
I don't why you all are crying about this. CGJ clearly hit the guy in the head and neck area. It was a penalty. Whether or not he had a concussion is irrelevant. Yeah, it looked like he flopped in order to ensure the call was made. Nonetheless, the fullback's acting doesn't mean a penalty wasn't committed. Go look at the film. Again, CGJ clearly hit the guy in the head.

Edit: Just notice that FullMonte posted the same thing as me. So yeah, I agree with that poster. Sorry for the repost.

Nothing can convince me that was the right call. That was bs to bail them out and was not a flag. He went to tackle him. What was he suppose to do? Watch him catch the ball. Every saints fans have the right to be mad as heck. It was clear cheating. I watched the play again and still don't think it's a flag.

If we got a call like that i would feel like we were bailed out by a bs call and i have no issue admitting that.

That call was bs. I don't care anyway you try to twist it. I've seen many plays like that not called. Cj was going for the tackle and the flopper was going for the ball. There was nothing he could do to stop it. That was a soft call. The part you're leaving out is the flag cams out late. If the ref called it as soon as it happened you'd have a point. He waited to the guy faked and grabbed his head to call anything. That's clear cut cheating no matter how you slice it.

"I've seen many plays like that not called" is not a legit reason to call it "bs." Is that the standard now? They should never call any penalty if someone can show that a similar play happened and wasn't called?

Go back and watch the play, and ask two questions, and answer them honestly.

1) Did CJ hit the player in the head or neck area with his head or neck area with his helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder? (The answer is yes. CJ hit him in the head with his shoulder).
2) Had the player done anything to establish himself as a runner? (The answer is no.)

By rule, answering those two questions yes and no, respectively means it 's a penalty. Without a doubt the officiating is so incosistent as to make it almost meaningless, but that doesn't mean that we can call valid penalties BS.

Man I thought the hit was legit, but...I opened up my YouTube app directly after the game and I saw a 49rs podcast was live so I clicked it just hear what they were saying and they were all laughing and saying that the guy needs an acting award for his performance

I don’t care what anyone says the call was bs. There’s nothing you can do to avoid that in full speed.

It was like Demario's hit in the Jaguars game. Nothing he could do to avoid it but still a violation of the rule and a fine. Intent or ability to avoid aren't elements of the penalty. The acting just highlighted the contact and made it more likely the ref would pull out the flag.

I forget what play it was on, but after Taysom Hill celebrated a hard run (possibly a short-yardage first down), he accidentally bumped into one of the Whiners players and that player flopped to the ground hoping to get a penalty flag drawn. Nothing was said about it when it happened, and I just kind of shook my head.

Edit: I found it (8:14 mark). It was Jimmie Ward who flopped after the play. The broadcast showed it from a different angle that is more obvious, but you can see Taysom pointing at him like "really?".

Somebody needs to put a 49er flop collection together spliced with Neymar and get it trending on Twitter to drive the narrative so the refs /might/ start disbelieving them before the playoffs . . .

It was like Demario's hit in the Jaguars game. Nothing he could do to avoid it but still a violation of the rule and a fine. Intent or ability to avoid aren't elements of the penalty. The acting just highlighted the contact and made it more likely the ref would pull out the flag.

Not only are they not elements of the penalty, but the note after the rule specifically states that the player initiating the contact is responsible for ensuring he does not make illegal contact.

Not only are they not elements of the penalty, but the note after the rule specifically states that the player initiating the contact is responsible for ensuring he does not make illegal contact.

Yes. There are a lot of rules in the NFL we don't like, but based on the rule it was a correct call.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom