Florida Secretary of State resigns over (Katrina-related) blackface scandal (1 Viewer)

fdl16

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Florida Secretary of State Resigns

Thursday morning, Michael Ertel, appointed Secretary of State by Gov. Ron DeSantis weeks earlier, testified before a House committee about the several lawsuits filed over the 2018 election. By mid-afternoon, Ertel turned in his resignation, after photos emerged of him posing as a Hurricane Katrina victim in blackface at a private Halloween party 14 years ago.
The photo was taken in 2005, eight months after Ertel was appointed Seminole County supervisor of elections and two months after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans.

After the Democrat texted the photos to him last week, Ertel, 49, identified himself as the white man in blackface and red lipstick, wearing earrings and a New Orleans Saints bandanna, and falsies under a purple T-shirt that had "Katrina Victim" written on it.
What a cesspool they've got over there in Florida.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Florida man now has a name.

At what point does anyone think that's a good idea? I'm all about humor and finding humor at times when humor is hard to come by but there's a line you cross where it's just in poor taste. He jumped across that line with both feet.

OP
OP
fdl16

fdl16

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Florida man now has a name.

At what point does anyone think that's a good idea? I'm all about humor and finding humor at times when humor is hard to come by but there's a line you cross where it's just in poor taste. He jumped across that line with both feet.
And you don't wear a costume like this unless you know the other people around you will also be "in" on the joke - which says a lot about the other people who were also at this party.

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1548389644692.png
1548389658541.png

The pictures.

So, this is a double edged sword. His entire public career, these photos were out there, but never surfaced.

He's seemingly been a champion for expanding voter rights and getting people registered and making it easier to vote. For a Republican, that seems to be against the grain.

So, this guy seems like he was good at his job, but either had a lapse of judgement, or has a quirky / offensive sense of humor.

I do wonder, instead of resigning, if he'd have apologized and fought through it.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know, I know. It’s not like I haven’t been guilty of epically stupid decisions at times. But blackface after Katrina? I don’t ever remember being that drunk to think that’s a good idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)