Florida to end permanent alimony? (1 Viewer)

I must be the luckiest guy in the country. When she had her lawyers send me the divorce papers, she didn't want anything. No maintenance, no division of property, nothing. She just wanted out.

I couldn't sign them fast enough.

I have not had the same experience, lol. My ex wife is the exact opposite of cooperative.

Why is there even alimony? This isn't 1957 anymore....

Looks like someone collecting alimony is doing some neg repping....:hihi:

Look at one point in time where men were the educated person and the wife stayed home because of social norms I could understand. However, at this point my idea towards alimony is the same as welfare. If you are able bodied get yourself together and get into the workforce. Why should anyone have to pay for an ex? It's done move on. If there are kids involved that's child support. Or, simply have a wife that makes more than you.

If a woman is out of the workforce long enough, or gives up a career like law or medicine for long enough, she becomes unemployable in her field. If she was out of the workforce to make her husband's career possible by caring for his family and home, alimony makes sense.

Particularly in situations where the woman sacrifices her career to further the husband's, I think alimony is appropriate. Or when a woman works for years to allow a husband to attend law or medical school full time, and then gets dumped as his earning potential is realized, awarding her a share of the income is also appropriate.

Able bodied woman just wants to sit around and be a lazy psycho? Yeah, no alimony. Sorry, toots. :hihi:

But why should they be on the hook? Did they not make the choice to do that for their spouse? It's not like the man was imposing his will on her and she is unemployable. So the partner got screwed over. Ok. Lots of people do. Why should they pay for X amount of years? Why would they be entitled to anything at all? I mean heck I worked extra to pay for my wife's education. However if we got divorced why would I say to her to pony up cash for the next however long? It seems dumb to me but I guess I'm different I guess.

But why should they be on the hook? Did they not make the choice to do that for their spouse? It's not like the man was imposing his will on her and she is unemployable. So the partner got screwed over. Ok. Lots of people do. Why should they pay for X amount of years? Why would they be entitled to anything at all? I mean heck I worked extra to pay for my wife's education. However if we got divorced why would I say to her to pony up cash for the next however long? It seems dumb to me but I guess I'm different I guess.

The idea is that marriage is a lifetime commitment. If one person, generally the woman, sacrificed the opportunity to work, get an education, and experience in order to manage the household under the belief that the commitment will be held by both parties like agreed and the other party terminates that commitment than that person incurred a massive opportunity cost working as a housewife/husband.

If a woman is out of the workforce long enough, or gives up a career like law or medicine for long enough, she becomes unemployable in her field. If she was out of the workforce to make her husband's career possible by caring for his family and home, alimony makes sense.

Particularly in situations where the woman sacrifices her career to further the husband's, I think alimony is appropriate. Or when a woman works for years to allow a husband to attend law or medical school full time, and then gets dumped as his earning potential is realized, awarding her a share of the income is also appropriate.

I'd love to re-word that and replace every instance of "woman" with "person" and every pronoun with a "he or she." I've known men who have chosen "daddy track" careers or even opted to stay at home while their wives worked, and they should be as eligible for temporary spousal support while they get on their feet as a woman who has taken a career hit to care for a family or support her husband's education.

You're absolutely right that the spouse who gives up career advancement should be eligible for some support for a while.

To be realistic, how often does that happen these days? With the economy as bad as it is, most families require two incomes to make it work. With telecommuting and all that, the ideas for alimony, while good decades ago, are becoming more and more outdated.

Now child support. Don't get me started on that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom