[Merged] Florio is at it again (1 Viewer)

Payton loves Jerry Jones. Has mad respect for the man.

Having said that, Jerry's management/ownership style is so many light years different from what Sean has here in NO.
I could see, after hanging up the coaching visor, Sean moving to Dallas and doing TV work with that ESPN Dallas affiliate or even, possibly taking a job with the Cowboys in some capacity. I just don't see coach as the position.

What am I missing? Garrett still has a job. And they're talking extension.

Payton loves Jerry Jones. Has mad respect for the man.

I'm not saying you're wrong, honestly, I really don't know, but what is the basis for that?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Payton appreciated his time in the Cowboys organization, but I didn't realize they are said to have such a close and strong relationship, unless it's something I've simply managed to forget.

So in the world of speculative media talk, Payton has coached the Giants, 49ers, Cowboys and who else these past three years? :LOL:

Florio also said......wait for it.....that Jerrah would throw the bank at Payton to keep him from going to Cleveland ???

And now that I go looking, I do vaguely remember this incident. Still think the lingering Payton to Dallas speculation is just lazy journalism at this point.

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/03/new_orleans_saints_sean_payton_1.html

Apparently Payton got word that Jones had reserved a special bottle of wine for the event, the only bottle of 2007 Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon in the house. So Payton convinced the St. Elmo staff to let his party have the bottle instead.
And then he added a hand-written note to the empty bottle to be left on the Cowboys' table the following night:
WHO DAT!
World Champions XLIV
Sean Payton
"He is someone that has always been good to me. It was very funny, " said Payton, who said he has a great relationship with Jones, whom he worked for as an assistant coach in Dallas from 2003 to 2005.

Florio is just trying to cause a distraction in the Saints locker room and organization.

I'm trying to find Florio's comments. Are they online, or is this something he said on the radio?

I haven't found anything on ProFootballTalk (Florio's site) that mentions Sean Payton going to Dallas. Even hinting at it.

Agree to disagree, I think that the Browns got the right guy for the job. Obviously he isn’t Sean or Bill, but he is just as good as any of the other young coaches who are getting their first crack st the brass ring. Add to that the success he has had so far with Mayfield and that offense, he has an edge on the competition.

You can think they got the right guy. They may have even got the right guy. Who thought Payton was a good catch when we got him? No one.

That wasn't the point. The point is the job itself was overrated. There were not coaching candidates lined up to interview with them and several turned them down. The Cowboys HCing job would get interest, but it wouldn't be from people like Payton.

That wasn't the point. The point is the job itself was overrated. There were not coaching candidates lined up to interview with them and several turned them down. The Cowboys HCing job would get interest, but it wouldn't be from people like Payton.

Can’t help but agree with this, in recent weeks McCarthy’s name was attached to that job, and he opted to sit out this year instead, and Arians at one point a while back said Cleveland was the only job he’d be interested in, and when it came open I don’t think he even interviewed, and on top of that chose (IMO) to take on an even bigger overhaul project in Tampa.

This. I’m expecting a contract extension until about 2023/2024 for Payton.
He's definitely getting an extension after the job he has done reloading this team for these past two playoff runs.

Z

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom