[Merged] Florio is at it again (1 Viewer)

Florio is still the first one to have our back during bountygate and recognize there was no evidence.

He pretty much gets a free pass forever now

Who is this Florio person you people speak of so much? Is he of this Earth?

I'm not saying you're wrong, honestly, I really don't know, but what is the basis for that?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Payton appreciated his time in the Cowboys organization, but I didn't realize they are said to have such a close and strong relationship, unless it's something I've simply managed to forget.
I believe he speaks very glowingly about Jones in his book. I've also heard interviews with him where he speaks very fondly of Jones. Jones also speaks very fondly of Peyton -- it's a mutual respect. Again, I don't have any sources to site (aside from maybe his book) but I thought it was known that Sean has tremendous respect for Jones.

I believe he speaks very glowingly about Jones in his book. I've also heard interviews with him where he speaks very fondly of Jones. Jones also speaks very fondly of Peyton -- it's a mutual respect. Again, I don't have any sources to site (aside from maybe his book) but I thought it was known that Sean has tremendous respect for Jones.

I appreciate the reply. Your original comment had piqued my curiosity and I followed up with a post that supported what you'd said.

I'm trying to find Florio's comments. Are they online, or is this something he said on the radio?

I haven't found anything on ProFootballTalk (Florio's site) that mentions Sean Payton going to Dallas. Even hinting at it.
Tv show he does with Chris Sims. Pro Football Talk I think.

To be precise. Florio played a clip of Jerrah discussing Garrett’s future. Jerrah said why would he make a decision now when there could be other opportunities next week. Florio went on to say he was clearly talking about Payton if the Saints lose Sunday.

To be precise. Florio played a clip of Jerrah discussing Garrett’s future. Jerrah said why would he make a decision now when there could be other opportunities next week. Florio went on to say he was clearly talking about Payton if the Saints lose Sunday.

He could also be talking about the other Sean as well. Or Josh McDaniels.

Florio is just trying to cause a distraction in the Saints locker room and organization.

He sounds like someone that likes to try (I never listened to him) . Florio or anyone else are fooling themselves if they think they are that much of an impact on any NFL team.

So the actual speculation wasn't that Payton was going to Dallas, but that Jones may pursue Payton if the Saints lost.

Florio gets a lifetime pass from me because he was one of the only journalists who took the time to really look into the Bounty Gate situation. While puppets like Peter King were helping advance Goodell's agenda, Florio was having none of it. He saw through the NFL's facade and he called them to account.

We didn't have many people in our corner during that time but Florio stood up for us and I'll never forget it. Hopefully he's wrong on this one and it's all just speculation.

A few dominos would have to fall. Payton, as things stand now, is not just available for the taking.

HYPOTHETICALLY ... if the Saints' season ends early AND Brees also decides to retire ... then maybe Payton is available. There is also the issue of Payton's remaining contract years -- don't know if pro coaches have buyout schemes set up like college coaches do.

If Florio was just kind of saying "You know Jerry Jones would love to go after Sean Payton to coach the Cowboys" ... well, that's not too controversial. I'm sure Jerry would love that and would strike fast IF the opportunity ever presented itself.

However, if Florio was instead saying "Sean Payton's got one foot out the door right now" ... IMHO, that's baloney.

It used to be that his kids were there and even though there never seemed to be any actual basis for connecting him to the Cowboys job beyond wild speculation, there was at least that understandable consideration that a father would want to be closer to his kids.

His kids are grown up now, Payton hasn't been a part of that organization in well over a decade, and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Parcells would just straight advise him not to return as HC. Payton has as strong of a personality and and we have history - Johnson and Parcells - to question if that kind of interpersonal dynamic can lead to a longterm relationship working for Jerry Jones.

More importantly, Payton has been embraced by the organization and fans here. The team has shown him continued support through difficult times. Why would he abandon this situation to go work for an organization that has only managed to fluctuate between mediocrity and instability?

Florio is, at times, a good journalist, but he sure can make it difficult to take him seriously on other occasions.

I think that due to the number of hours he is on each week, he almost has to depart from providing information that can be taken seriously. Or at least it's more cost effective to fill some of that time with fluff that can't be taken seriously.

I will always be grateful to the guy for his approach to bounty gate, so I am biased.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom