Florio: Never, EVER forget... (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
...that when the talking heads :blabla: were piling-on the Saints during BountyGate, Florio was one of the first ones to speak up and wave the BS flag (in support of the Saints).

Jeff "Scooter" Duncan and others were sucking up to the media, trying to win brownie points with his "inside scoop." But Florio was one of the few who circled the wagons with us.

Don't get me wrong: I don't go along with a lot of what Florio has to say. But that's with all sports commentators. The important thing was that he didn't stick a wet finger in the air to see which way the wind was blowing. At a time the WhoDat Nation needed a friendfloriosaintsjersey (1).jpg, he manned-up.

:gosaints:

Part of it is that Florio just likes to stir the pot when he can. It's a huge reason why he has garnered the notoriety he has. I don't fault him for it. And his takes are often spot-on. But he's used to finding the contrarian angle. It's the same reason he sometimes takes shots at Schefter (and others) on Twitter. He wants to distinguish himself.

Part of it is that Florio just likes to stir the pot when he can. It's a huge reason why he has garnered the notoriety he has. I don't fault him for it. And his takes are often spot-on. But he's used to finding the contrarian angle. It's the same reason he sometimes takes shots at Schefter (and others) on Twitter. He wants to distinguish himself.

Is it your position that despite the HUGE tidal wave of negative press and criticism directed towards the Saints (with BountyGate) that Florio took a contrary position just to be different and "stir the pot?"

I am glad Florio was courageous enough to bring sanity to the discussion because (at the time) everyone else (including Scooter) was dumping tons of manure on Airline Dr.

As WhoDats, we should never forget what Florio did... even though (at the time) many wanted our franchise to be put 6-ft under.

...that when the talking heads :blabla: were piling-on the Saints during BountyGate, Florio was one of the first ones to speak up and wave the BS flag (in support of the Saints).

Florio earned my respect during those times. He's a lifelong Vikings fan and a lawyer by trade. he knew the NFL used the Saints as
a scapegoat for the upcoming concussion lawsuits. I got the impression from several of his articles he wanted to represent the Saints
in a real court of law.

Vikings radio host Paul Allen was another who gained my respect after the 09 NFCCG. He was a guest on WWL shortly after the game.
He was asked if he thought the bounty system was the reason the Vikes lost. He said "Heavens No". We turned the ball over 5 times
on the road against one of the best teams in the league. The Vikings were lucky they still had a chance at the end. If you turn the ball
over 5 times you'll most likely lose in a blowout.

Is it your position that despite the HUGE tidal wave of negative press and criticism directed towards the Saints (with BountyGate) that Florio took a contrary position just to be different and "stir the pot?"

I am glad Florio was courageous enough to bring sanity to the discussion because (at the time) everyone else (including Scooter) was dumping tons of manure on Airline Dr.

As WhoDats, we should never forget what Florio did... even though (at the time) many wanted our franchise to be put 6-ft under.

Yes, I’m saying that seems to be a significant hallmark of his. Again, not a criticism. And I’m glad he spoke up. But I’m not ready to confer honorary sainthood status upon him simply because he took a unique angle on a story. He likes to swing for the fences (see the Terry Bradshaw incident from years ago).

He and PFT are often guilty of some sensationalism - the format is set up for continuous quick, bite-size bits of NFL news so that's not a surprise. But, I don't find Florio to be an overt contrarian (unlike Simms and many, many others). I find that he believes what he's saying/reporting. I don't always agree with him, and that's to be expected with any commentator. For the Bounty Farce, he did come off looking like a contrarian because the rest of the planet wanted to believe the NFL's propaganda and were too lazy honestly to look behind the curtain.

I believe Florio likes the Vikings and it probably pained him to call it like he saw it. I commend him for it.

He started very much on the side of the NFL. He eventually pivoted to poking holes in the NFL story and advocating for the Saints. I believe the pivot initially started with trying to prolong a sexy story. But he ultimately saw the incredible inconsistency and flimsiness of the NFL's case.

I also think it is more important for his job to be in the good graces of players and coaches, more than the league office.

I really disliked Florio. I got banned from the NFLTalk forums because of my response to an anti-Saints article he posted way back when. But he was the only major media member advocating for our team. While local guys like Gus Katengill and Larry Holder were calling us fans delusional for thinking the NFL case was bogus.

He started very much on the side of the NFL.

Everyone started on the NFL's side. Because before then, nobody REALLY had a reason to question the league's integrity when it came to stuff like that. The closest was Spygate, and even then, it was proven the team actually did it, the stuff that always came up was the tapes getting destroyed.

Heck, there were fans that immediately wanted Payton gone and bought the whole "if he didn't know, he should have" line to heart. Then they figured out all they had was an aging out of touch defensive coordinator trying to save his NFL career, a pilled up angry ex-employee looking for a cushy NFL job (which he got) and a napkin. That was their evidence.

He started very much on the side of the NFL. He eventually pivoted to poking holes in the NFL story and advocating for the Saints. I believe the pivot initially started with trying to prolong a sexy story. But he ultimately saw the incredible inconsistency and flimsiness of the NFL's case.

I also think it is more important for his job to be in the good graces of players and coaches, more than the league office.

I really disliked Florio. I got banned from the NFLTalk forums because of my response to an anti-Saints article he posted way back when. But he was the only major media member advocating for our team. While local guys like Gus Katengill and Larry Holder were calling us fans delusional for thinking the NFL case was bogus.

I pretty much agree with this assessment ^^

Bottom line: Early on, Florio was one of the FEW advocates we had in the media.

Florio’s stock soared; Scooter’s crashed & burned.

The things that really chapped my hide about Jeff “Scooter” Duncan was that

<> he used his NOLA influences to prop himself as a knowledgeable insider with the national sports media, and

<> he has never apologized to our fan base for his betrayal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom