Florio says Giants should release Eli (1 Viewer)

I think it's a perfect match, I like the family from new orleans thing. I think he could pick up the offense quickly and yes, I do believe he is better than bridgewater. He would help us win this year.
The problems I have with it is what we would have to give away. How many picks? Who would be cut? And what return on investment would we get with him. He's in his late thirties, so not many more years. In my opinion he's still top ten quarterback with the right offense

I watch football every week in a bar with friends. Two of them are a married couple from New Jersey (Giants fans) and they always have one of the TVs in the bar tuned into the Giants game each week. So I've actually seen Eli play most weeks in recent years. And I say, without hesitation or equivocation, (EXPLETIVE DELETED) NO!!!! He's completely washed up.

I watch football every week in a bar with friends. Two of them are a married couple from New Jersey (Giants fans) and they always have one of the TVs in the bar tuned into the Giants game each week. So I've actually seen Eli play most weeks in recent years. And I say, without hesitation or equivocation, (EXPLETIVE DELETED) NO!!!! He's completely washed up.

Yes. You can tell who the people are that only watch the Saints in this forum, because they are the ones suggesting we sign the worst QB (who has somehow managed to maintain his job) in the league over the past decade. His footwork is trash, his pocket awareness is questionable, his accuracy is just ok (see footwork) and his overall body language on the field is awful. He also is mediocre to poor when it comes to off-field/locker room leadership. But yes, please...let's add a mouth breather to our team to rescue us because a miracle happened twice a decade ago and his daddy played here 40 years ago.

Yep, one of the biggest (if not the biggest) takeaways I've gotten from watching him live in recent years is his footwork is terrible. The best analogy I could give people who watch only the Saints is he looks kinda like Kirk Cousins did last year after we sacked him for the first time in that game, but older and slower.

Also, the Giants front 4 deserved co-MVPs for the 1st Giants/Pats Super Bowl.

Yes. You can tell who the people are that only watch the Saints in this forum, because they are the ones suggesting we sign the worst QB (who has somehow managed to maintain his job) in the league over the past decade. His footwork is trash, his pocket awareness is questionable, his accuracy is just ok (see footwork) and his overall body language on the field is awful. He also is mediocre to poor when it comes to off-field/locker room leadership. But yes, please...let's add a mouth breather to our team to rescue us because a miracle happened twice a decade ago and his daddy played here 40 years ago.

I think it's a perfect match, I like the family from new orleans thing. I think he could pick up the offense quickly and yes, I do believe he is better than bridgewater. He would help us win this year.
The problems I have with it is what we would have to give away. How many picks? Who would be cut? And what return on investment would we get with him. He's in his late thirties, so not many more years. In my opinion he's still top ten quarterback with the right offense

That is what Kurt Warner is saying, as well. Kurt thinks they are using Eli as the scapegoat, for a messed up NYG team & organization.

When Warner was on the NYG’s he sat on the bench, while Eli played. Then Warner went to the Cardinals & took them to the Super Bowl.

Strange things happen in the NFL.

They won't release him. It would accelerate money on the cap and then they'd have to go out and sign another backup QB.

Unless someone offers them a draft pick, the Giants will simply hold onto him this year. He'll retire next year.

Well, at least Eli won’t end up in the poor house anytime soon. It just came up on the news on my phone that Eli has made more $$$ than ANY PLAYER IN NFL HISTORY.

252 million - Eli
248 million - Peyton
244 million - Brees
235 million - Brady

Not bad bank, for having some years of pathetic play.

What the heck happened to Eli?
people finally gave up trying to hype him up to be better then he ever really was straight up because of his last name alone. they are now trapped because he has a $20m guaranty contract so they dont save much money at all if any if they release him and no one is taking on his contract for the level of play you get in return for it.

they do the same for rogers but rogers is a much better QB then eli ever was. rogers is eli in a much smaller market with a much better team and is more talented but he isnt anywhere near the unjustified hype he gets

Why would they even consider releasing him? He’s a serviceable backup and they’re set with cap space. Maybe, if he asks, they do him a solid. I do agree that he’d go straight the Jacksonville.

He isn’t going anywhere this year. He has stated he won’t waive the no trade clause in his contract and the Giants haven’t other QB to make the back up if they released him. They are also on the hook for his full salary if they did release him.

I think he would retire if cut. He has a no trade clause that he won't wave. That indicates to me that he want to be Giant only. Which would be about 3 years too late.
why would he retire? he has a no trade contract full of guaranty money, he could ride the bench and get paid as a starting QB to watch the game from there in safety and comfort, that is what he should and most likely will do

Honestly, Eli was never the QB that the media made him out to be. Not bad, but not at the level of Peyton, Brees, Brady, et. al.

Today? I think he is done but I also think that the Giants should have found a classier way to move on from him. While I think he was overrated, I also believe he gave everything he had to that organization and deserved better.
I never found that the media was ever high on him or placed him with the elites. To me he quietly had a successful career in the biggest media market in the NFL. There were some that point to his two Super Bowl wins, but he seemed like he just plodding along for a long time (#45 career passing rating at 84.1). What I found surprising about Eli was how high he was on certain career stats charts - he's #7 in passing yards, #8 in passing TDs.

The Giants are basically giving him a years pay for mentoring his replacement. That sounds like an awesome deal and example of a team taking care of its best franchise player ever. Seriously, they could have traded him to another team just as bad or worse, or just discard him and cut him. Eli isn't going to walk in and start for another team. The player that is pretty much getting shafted in all this is Barkley, a very good player that is having his second season wasted on a bad team halfway rebuilding.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom